IGNORED

Can the ST be Used Daily?

Can It be used for daily tasks?

My tasks include:

Listening to my Midi Files

and typing up documents

Since I have 2 computers one for the NET (this one) and another in my room where I keep the document files of all my games like a game database

My moms sister needs a PC and since I am soon to have an ST I was wondering if my taks could be done on the ST for I can send my PC to my moms sister

BTW if it matters I have a 1040STf and a 520STfm (4MB)

Hardest part will be finding a good printer that works with the ST - otherwise it can do those tasks easily. Word Perfect 4.2 is available (though tough from floppy) or the Timeworks Word Processor is good also (has inline spell checking which was a first!)

Hardest part will be finding a good printer that works with the ST - otherwise it can do those tasks easily.  Word Perfect 4.2 is available (though tough from floppy) or the Timeworks Word Processor is good also (has inline spell checking which was a first!)

I use my Mega STE since 1994 for my business , still with its original 48Mbyte HD.

The ST is a great computer for word processing , or even DTP with Calamus.There are lots of text editors and some word processing programs , I use for example Tempus Word and some others.

I use an Epson Stylus Color 800 for my ST , this is an inkjet printer that emulates all the 9/24 Epson printers and works fine with an ST - without any drivers.

This printer even works with the ATARI 800 without any drivers.

Thimo

MIDI? You are kidding, arent ya? :)

MIDI was BORN on ST!

That's the place where all the modern MIDI things you know happened for the first time. Before that, MIDI was just a protocol to let your DX7 communicate with a TASCAM recorder, or for transferring data patches between two keyboards.

I would direct you to Tim's Atari MIDI world for more infos (and programs)

http://tamw.atari-users.net

Then if you mean playing MIDI tunes with those horrible SoundBlaster audio cards, well, maybe you should think in buiyng at least a low performance SoundCanvas audio module and connect it to your ST! :D

Oh, about Word Processing: You can use ANY printer you like (bubble, jet, laser, faxdriver, ...) You just need a more recent wordprocessor. I would suggest Papyrus, even an old version will blow M$word miles away (just try it on your PC)

Enjoy your ST, enjoy it!

Ciao

I still use my 1040 STe for word processing and everyday tasks and I don’t even have a HD or one of the newer replacement ST desktops. You will just need to make a desktop accessories disk. Mine has a desktop organizer with an address book, appointments calender, to do list, memo pad, calculator, a screen saver, a breakout type game, printer drivers and a few other things. I can access all this stuff while using my word processor and graphics programs. Just get one of the newer word processors for the ST and you will be fine. I use First Word Plus, ver. 3.20 and that has a spell check, thesaurus, integrated graphics, basic fonts, mail merge and a few other features. There are also a bunch of publishing aids out there, if you want more fonts and other high end features. I use a HP Deskjet 400 to print out my documents, HP Deskjet printer drivers are easy to find and most of the newer word processor programs should have the drivers.