IGNORED

Dark Chambers to Gauntlet Conversion

CDS Games

• 1 month later...

OMG!!!!....Why have I only found out about this now???!?!!?..... I loved Gauntlet in the arcade, and played it for hours on the Commodore 64 back in the day. Having played this version for about half an hour, I can say I am hooked and love it, and to be honest, it is MORE fun than the Commodore 64 version - going to take this and an emulator to my local club and play it on the Big Screen!!!

Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this.

Edited by ravenxau

• 2 weeks later...

tried this out last night, firstly let me just say wow this is super impressive, problem is though i walked to the very first gate obviously with the key but nothing happened, i tried everything but nothing and so my fun ended there.

is this a glitch or is there some other way?

• Like 1

problem is though i walked to the very first gate obviously with the key but nothing happened, i tried everything but nothing and so my fun ended there.

same here but i ran into the gate and kept shooting at it and it eventually opens

Did you try to move up a little and go through? The character sits a little high in relation to the doors because of the quasi-3D perspective. You should be centering your feet in the middle of the opening rather than your whole body. That's how Dark Chambers worked and Gauntlet as well:

post-31389-0-13392800-1461604412_thumb.jpgpost-31389-0-65123100-1461604416.jpg

I don't know of any other key/door glitches, so let me know if you still have problems.

• Like 1

tried this out last night, firstly let me just say wow this is super impressive, problem is though i walked to the very first gate obviously with the key but nothing happened, i tried everything but nothing and so my fun ended there.

when you have the key - "slide" down the wall by pushing diagonally down and right - you will go straight through first time - no need to 'jiggle' to find the right spot ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might be...I'd have to look at the code again.

Honestly though, I am not a huge pad fan so there's minimal interest on this end, even though I like the 2nd button aspect of it.

On a related topic, I have a question.

I am sure this is answered somewhere in this thread, but I couldn't find it. How do we use the bombs? I'm playing it on 2600 hardware with a standard joystick; the fire button is obvious, but how do I engage the bombs? Thanks.

Absolutely agree on the double fire button to activate potions. I cannot make that thing work when I need it, and it goes off when I don't need it. Exasperating. I'm up for ideas if anyone has them.

... I'm curious if the joystick fire button is harder to double-click than the keyboard. I dont have a Harmony to play on hardware.

Ah, I see now. I'll try using the bombs this weekend.

• Like 1

I believe that's the plan to offer it in the store, yes, although Al would be the one to ask. :)

I guess you figured out the potions....yeah, it's a bit of a pain unfortunately. But I'm not sure what else can be done without a special controller that not everyone will have.

It was suggested elsewhere on the thread push down and fire or something like that....problem is you need aim your fire with the joystick, so you will be tripping that accidentally. There are free console switches, but those (difficulty, B&W) aren't momentary switches.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much ROM/RAM space is available to tweak the bomb activation code, but I'd probably do something like this for the double press:

1. Press the fire button, and release it again within one quarter second.

2. Wait no more than one quarter second between presses.

3. Press the fire button again, and release it within one quarter second.

So press, release, press and hold wouldn't trigger it. Likewise, pressing the button for a quick shot, waiting more than a quarter second, then firing quickly again wouldn't either.

It is possible to auto-detect if a Genesis controller is plugged into the 2600. I think it would be a nice addition to add two-button support if there's space available. Stay Frosty 2 and Space Rocks shipped with Genesis controller support, and the upcoming Scramble will have it as well.

..Al

• Like 2

I think the double-click works not bad for using the potions. But it`s never bad to discuss for finding alternatives. My personal suggestion for an alternative would be - press and hold the firebutton for more than 2 seconds. Okay, in 2 seconds some of the nearby enemies can reach and hurt the player then, but the time-period is not so long that the damage will be much i think. But i am also satisfied with the double-click i must say. Having "Fire2" support additionally, would also be a nice thing.

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

I'm glad I found out about this Gauntlet project of yours, even if I did find it late in its development. On the plus side for me, that meant no waiting. Gauntlet always was one of my favorites since I discovered it in the arcades once upon a day. Thereafter, many hours spent on the game for C64 and NES, and I've not grown weary.