IGNORED

PEB PHP1200 Differences

TI-GAMER

On the later rocker variety, the fingers on the back of the PEB did not go as high, this was to protect the cards from damage.

The earlier models had an external fuse that was easily accessible, theoretically it would save you a lot of trouble from having to remove 10,000 screws just to replace a fuse. The thing is, I've never had one blow. The biggest problem is, when the fusable link goes out in the newer rocker type box, it's a mess getting to that one fuse encased in the transformer.

Aesthetically I prefer the newer model, for functionality I prefer the older model. Six of one, a half dozen of the other.

Newer style box with half-height fingers.

400px-Pbox_open.jpg

No fuse on back

box_back.jpg

• Like 1

The newer model has a fuse holder that allows a technician (or knowledgeable user) to change the voltage setting by rotating the fuse cover to the correct setting (this also requires that you change the slo-blo fuse in the socket to the appropriate value for the target voltage). Most people assume that the cover is only for the voltage change--it is also a fuse holder. The other fuse is the inline one in the middle of the transformer. For some reason that one usually goes before the slo-blo in the case does. It is a real pain to replace. . .

The newer model has a fuse holder that allows a technician (or knowledgeable user) to change the voltage setting by rotating the fuse cover to the correct setting (this also requires that you change the slo-blo fuse in the socket to the appropriate value for the target voltage). Most people assume that the cover is only for the voltage change--it is also a fuse holder. The other fuse is the inline one in the middle of the transformer. For some reason that one usually goes before the slo-blo in the case does. It is a real pain to replace. . .

Tell me about it. When I blew mine, I ended up replacing the whole shebang http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234391-how-to-replace-peb-psu-with-new-atlpx-psu/

Best of both worlds.

Some guys have all the luck! I wonder if it was built in a 'transition period'.

Down the road, one of my 'projects' for the backup box will be to install a 110V 'switched outlet' to the old fan leads and mount it in the general location the fuse holder would have resided. That way when I turn on the P-Box, a secondary piece of equipment will automatically be turned on as well... I'm thinking external disk drives.

$_57.JPG

I still plan to eventually install the USB power port on the back behind the disk bay.

$_57.JPG

While I'm at it, once I have drive three and a possible fourth external, because the HxC will be operating as DSK1 & DSK2 (after the Myarc clone is released), I'll have room to put a blank 5.25 face plate on the P-Box next to the HxC. On that plate I plan to mount a couple of switches and this little temperature unit...

$_57.JPG

Of course these are all 'PLANS'. Things have to work out with obtaining other items first. Just part of the overall fun!

• Like 1

......That way when I turn on the P-Box, a secondary piece of equipment will automatically be turned on as well... I'm thinking external disk drives.

....or the 2nd PEB :)

(if not too much draw, but I think the fan is BEFORE the fuse)

hmmm, saw that article times ago. 10 AMPs seems OK. using a relais too. so, why not....

one more feature for the PEB, and one fine fotostory more for the community

...and maybe a new hairstyle for you :) :)

Edited by schmitzi