IGNORED

Adding to the Y register

I'm now confused by the whole thread. Here's what I saw:

Post 1: danwinslow starts a topic lampooning the Adding to X topic.

Post 2: kenjennings makes an obtuse reply, probably sensing the topic is a joke.

Post 3: knowing the topic is a joke, I make a ridiculous reply about an alternate way to increase Y.

Post 4: In the spirit of the the topic Shawn J is referencing yet another contentious topic.

Post 5: danwinslow thinks no one gets that the topic is a joke.

Post 6: SeaGtGruff comments (via YouTube) on the nature of jokes.

Post 7: JamesD criticizes the premise of the topic.

Post 8: flashjazzcat posts a YouTube example of real nerd humor.

Post 9. tschak909 posts a YouTube comment on the confusion in the topic.

Post 10: kenjennings posts an actual on-topic silly reply.

Post 11: danwinslow still isn't getting the type of responses he expected (which was...?)

Post 12: JamesD says something and thinks the better of it.

Post 13: SeaGtGruff gives danwinslow a little pat on the back.

Post 14: Bryan spends way too much time analyzing a very silly thread, but is rewarded with a standing ovation from A8 users across the globe and a check for $2000.

An accurate summary. Mostly I was concerned that it had apparantly died WAY too soon, but it's true that I didn't appreciate the nature of the replies at first, which is a beautifully hilarious irony all on it's own. Item 11 was me being irritated by JamesD, which I have now gotten over, peace JamesD, you have my respect.

Some of these replies are way funnier than I expected, though, good show. Love the opcode puns :)

Edited by danwinslow

If SAX and LAX are instructions then shouldn't SAY and LAY be instructions?

*edit*

That was a serious question btw

Certain things should be this way yeah, but the 6502 instruction set is not orthogonal. Not every instruction that works on the X register works on the Y.

If SAX and LAX are instructions then shouldn't SAY and LAY be instructions?

No because of 6502 internals. There is something like that two bits specifies register A,X or Y. 00 menas Y, x1 Accumulator I think and 1x register X. The A and X don;t care about the other bit, so some illegal opcodes sets the internal lines to 11 state so both the A and X are used in that step of instruction.

This thread is just plain silly, and does not help educate anyone who is attempting to learn programming the 6502/65c02/65c802/65c816.

Undocumented opcodes should not ever be used, same as no one should ever vote for a liberal candidate. It's just not proper. It's obscene.

same as no one should ever vote for a liberal candidate. It's just not proper. It's obscene.

... but what if they offer cookies?

I get very let down by all these UK websites that warn me that they're sending me cookies. Not one of them has made it to my stomach yet. How very LAX.

• Like 2

Just a teeeeensy bit. Really, I was intending more along the lines of saying this is silly in that way is just as silly as the silly itself is. Also hippies.

You guys don't consider me a hippy just 'cuz I have long hair do you? It fits my programmer lifestyle :) I have a very trim beard.

• Like 1