IGNORED

Is a BC PS3 system worth taking a risk on?

cybercylon

So, I've had a PS3 slim for about 4 years now, and have never had any major issues with it.

I've tossed around the idea of getting a backup system for awhile now. My inclination is to track down another slim, but I also have a bunch of PS 2 games in the to play pile, so then I remembered the original 60 gig model. My current PS2 is a fat launch model, and it has been running since launch day, but it may be finally starting to show it's age. I can't complain about that?

Are the BC models worth picking up or am I just better off getting a slim PS3 and tracking down a backup PS2?

I should point out that the 60 gig is a Gamesh_t refurbished unit, but the $139 price tag doesn't seem to be too unreasonable.

Thanks in advance.

I have a BC PS3. It has the most features out of all of the PS3 models, but it's also the most bulky, the most prone to excessive fan noise, and the most prone to generating a lot of heat. If you can swing it, I do think you're better off with separate units, although it is nice having a single solution.

I eventually got tired of the technical glitches and stuff running BC on my PS3 and picked up a PS2 Slim to replace my phat PS2.

Highly recommend the PS2 Slim. It don't take up much space, runs great, and doesn't really have any technical hiccups.

I wouldn't recommend it. Just buy a PS2 and use component cables.

I kept my original 60GB PS3 up until about 3 months ago and it died. (Standard YLOD error). I rarely used the system though and well-used ones are known to die much earlier.

• Like 2

I wouldn't buy one because they're prone to dying. I had a launch one die four years ago and ended up buying a super slim because it would be a pain to ship it out and have someone repair it if you want your save data intact. And whatever disc you have in the drive would be stuck in there until the unit is repaired. Not worth the worry and headache. Buy a PS2 with component cables like R.Bear said and buy a component to HDMI converter if you only have HDMI inputs for your setup. Later down the road you can buy a pricey upscaler if you want that would work on almost all game systems.

Edited by xenomorpher

From personal exp. i'd be very wary.

I cannot think of any of my friends who owned a 60G PS3 who still have a working machine, all at 1 time or another had to get it replaced either due to YLOD issues or the Blu-ray drives burning out, lot of them hammered COD/MW all day long, wich some claim put extra strain on the drives, no idea if this is urban myth etc....
Myself, i bought a 40G Phat from new, had bizzare issue with it putting light machine oil on discs, had private firm sort that out, then few months later (and out of warranty) machine 'died' no yellow light or anything would just simply shut down after a few mins use.
Machine had always been well ventilated etc.
Had to pay Sony for a refurbed Slim, which, touch wood has been fine since.
Ironically my 360 which is an Elite, never had any overheating/RRD/E74 issues etc.

I have had my 60 GB system from the first year they came out and it has been great. Though I don't play all day and night on it, just every now and then. I did replace the hard drive about a year ago with a bigger one, everything went smoothly. Good luck on what ever system you buy.

Tony

Edited by godsey1

• 2 months later...

A topic bump.... I did pick up a 20 gig BC unit... for about $80 including controller and hook ups. At that price, I decided what the heck. I had a spare 250 gig drive, so I replaced the stock one. It's part of my computer area, so having the HDMI connection is nice. This is a secondary system and will let me play some PS2 titles while my son hogs the TV.

Yea... it could die next month....so far so good. It has plenty of space all around and raised up on feet. I don't find it to be all that noisy, but it weighs a ton and spits out more heat than my main system.

Now the challenge is finding one of those adapters that allow you to transfer game saves from a PS2 memory card. Those don't seem to be easy to find.

Edited by cybercylon

• 1 month later...

I'm going through the same decision-making process, so thanks for this thread. We don't have a DVD (aside from my slim PS2) or BluRay player so am thinking of getting one for playing disks as well but it looks like I'm better off staying away from the BC PS3.

It wasn't Sony, I wanted to get my actual unit back and not take the chance of getting a different one. Other than testing it once it came back, I don't use it for regular play and stick with the slim model.

I had PS2 saves that only existed on the PS3 so decided it was worth getting the repair, otherwise I would have skipped it.