IGNORED

Funnelweb

Gazoo

This may seem like a silly question, so forgive me if it is so...

When I had a HRD and used FW, I took for granted that it was running in the RAM space available on the card...

Am I to understand that it actually runs from the internal VDP RAM instead?

If that is so, does the extra RAM on the card facilitate all the other things that are normally run via VRAM, but are instead pushed to the RAM on the disk?

This may seem like a silly question, so forgive me if it is so...

When I had a HRD and used FW, I took for granted that it was running in the RAM space available on the card...

Am I to understand that it actually runs from the internal VDP RAM instead?

If that is so, does the extra RAM on the card facilitate all the other things that are normally run via VRAM, but are instead pushed to the RAM on the disk?

A ramdisk is just a storage medium, like a floppy. Programs are loaded from the Ramdisk, just like a floppy disk, to the 32k expansion Ram - and run from there. The same is true of a hard drive and the Rom cartridges as of late. The Funnelweb editor program runs in the 32k expansion Ram space as do all other programs (and uses most of it). The file that you have loaded in the Funnelweb editor and you are working on is loaded into VDP Ram, which part of is visible on the screen. The larger the VDP ram, the larger text file you can load and work on.

Let me know if that's not clear.

Gazoo

Funnelweb, as with all text editors,

Crystal clear. That is what I initially thought. I think I made an assumption that the card was not.only a large storage medium, but also additional RAM above and beyond the 32k. I suppose what confused me was the talk of large VRAM upgrades and FW running better or worse based on the amount of VRAM.

It occurs to me now that you were talking about the 9938.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought for a moment that I had a wonky understanding... Turns out I just misread the earlier posts.

Thank you for the clarification.

Edited by Opry99er

It seems to me as if all the editor functions would be slower. Instead of just scrolling through VDP where the file has been placed, you would need to load a small part of it at a time from RAM to VDP, check if the part you need to alter is there (maybe do this a number of times), then write that back to RAM from VDP. And yes, it would be a massive effort to try to alter the Funnelweb editor, I've been looking at the code a lot recently for this cart project.

To me it seems that the TI trailblazers had the right approach when they designed the 80 column cards, they included the necessary RAM in the design. We have the SAMS cards for other things, there's no reason not to expand in both directions. In fact I have the newest iteration of the SAMS design and have been slowly populating the board as I've got a few ideas for that, too. :)

Gazoo

It really doesn't scroll through/in VDP. In Text II mode, such a facility is not available nor are the v9938 high speed commands. F'web is doing the heavy lifting between CPU and VDP RAM. Overall an optimized CPU Ram memory handler should indeed be faster to manipulate though given the existing VDP handler optimizations, you may or may not notice a real difference if you tried it. The benefit would be to those without the extra VRAM as well as to larger buffers available through SAMS or other memory devices.

• 4 years later...

I hope it's okay to post to such an old thread, but my question is about FunnelWeb

On 5/14/2015 at 10:40 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Some of this will be found in the source, the other information is located in the McGovern's excellent documentation.

Just where can one find the Docs to FunnelWeb?  I've been searching the internet as well as whtech, but can't seem to find anything.

You can find a directory full of FWEB 4.40 documentation in TEXT format here:

40 column:

http://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/funnelweb/40columndocs/

80 column (you also need the above!):

http://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/funnelweb/80columndocs/

You can read TXT files on any computer- generally your browser will display them.

s

• Like 3