IGNORED

ATARI 2600 : More RAM ?

Lord-Chaos

One of the biggest problems of the 2600 is that it has only 128 Bytes of memory - this makes it difficult to write games that have to keep a lot of changes - maybe for the playfield , position of sprites , etc.

A good example is Boulder Dash - in such a game you´d have to keep every change in the playfield , made by the player , or falling rocks , enemies , amoebas etc.

So the question is - do emulators support more RAM - I know that some games have extra RAM on the carts.

And how much RAM is possible ?

I´d say 256 Byte would be enough for me , but more RAM is always better.

Is it possible to create carts with extra RAM or replace the ROMs on such carts to play them on the real thing or would this be impossible ?

Thimo

Well, the Supercharger is 6K of RAM, although a write requires multiple cycles. The CuttleCart also has a native RAM mode.

There were also several flavor's of cartridges which included RAM. See Kevin Horton's Bankswitching FAQ.

Whether any of these (or similar methods) could be cheaply used for a homebrew is a different question.