IGNORED

Next Generation Intellivision Classics for PC & MAC Kickstarter

8 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Not the Gen2 shit again..

No, it failed hard (note the date stamp from 2015). Same for the stuff on mobile and Vita. I supported it anyway (also similar efforts for Vectrex and Colecovision), and I only just now realized that Tommy T did too. 

I assume there were lessons learned beyond "wow there's a really limited market for software-only comebacks" which is why we're seeing Amico try the new-retro controller angle. 

14 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

No, it failed hard (note the date stamp from 2015). Same for the stuff on mobile and Vita. I supported it anyway (also similar efforts for Vectrex and Colecovision), and I only just now realized that Tommy T did too. 

I assume there were lessons learned beyond "wow there's a really limited market for software-only comebacks" which is why we're seeing Amico try the new-retro controller angle. 

The big lesson for me for those Gen 2 games and the David Crane Pitfall! Kickstarter, etc., was that you can't ask too high of a price without showing something that warrants that price. Whether or not you actually NEED to hit that goal price is a different issue (the Gen 2 request of $100k was not completely unreasonable, all things considered, but still seemed high for game types that are usually offered for free or very low prices by hobby developers).

Of course, I agree, that it's also all-too-easy to overestimate the reach of vintage gaming and computing. A lot of us hang around these echo chambers and think that dozens of voices represent hundreds of thousands of larger voices. That's obviously not always the case. 

• Like 2

It's rarely the case. For every 150-200'ish people I know or have met, maybe 1 maybe 2 if we're generous, even know of classic gaming. And their response may be just ohh I had a C64 in school. Further attempts to coax more conversation is a trying experience. Retrogaming is a narrow vertical field of interest.

• Like 1