IGNORED

Screen Resolution of Jaguar Games

Jagosaurus

Off at a tangent perhaps but...

Jeff Minter told Edge that the version of Tempest 3000 they were seeing running on the NUON hardware was running at 360X240...
So just curious as to what res the Jaguar version ran at.
Anyone know?.

According to my optimal timing results with the OSSC, Tempest 2000 runs at a bizarre 351x227. Not 350, but 351.

Here's a pic of my work for proof (RGB sync on luma feed) line4x OSSC optimal timing:

https://i.imgur.com/H7rOO2X.png

• 4 years later...

Interesting that the maximum vertical screen resolutions for NTSC and PAL are identical to the Amiga 1000 and onward. You can't see 288/576 lines on even a 1970s goldfish bowl PAL CRT let alone a 1990s CRT TV with a plastic bezel over the tube though.

Does anybody know what resolution Raiden is running at, not sure the screenshots I have found are 100% accurate digital screenshots, they look too aliased etc

7 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

They're just the maximum resolution that NTSC and PAL themselves allow.

Which is why I instantly recognised them as somebody who used Digi-view all the time in the 80s.

IIRC the full resolution is PAL 625 line but that includes the non-visible area of the transmitted signal received used later by things like Teletex data, Nicam stereo and to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 modes automagically on older CRT TVs. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/25/2015 at 7:47 PM, swapd0 said:

1 The bandwidth with main memory it's the same (in theory), it takes more time to render into the line buffer but you don't have a big OP list. Maybe the main memory read cycles are closer and it's better.

2 With GPU interrupts you can have some problems with MMULT operations, but maybe they don't need it.

2 Don't use MUL in your interrupt. How long are your MULT .. RESMAC chains anyway?

1 Almost still in theory: To absorb the bandwidth from main memory you would have to store 32 bit RGBA or so into internal SRAM ( for example the linebuffer ). But what if your pixel format is 16 bit like in Doom? In a sane design the OP would gobble up more than 16 bytes (like it does) in one burst and then do the shading. In Ataris design (going back to Panther, which was abondoned for a reason I guess) the hardware implementers needed to come up with a super scalar ( two pixels at one clock ) circuit. They hacked something together that unscaled at least uses 3/4 of the bandwidth. And for 8 bit color 2 pixels at once ( see the super scalar CLUT ) don't even cut it. Similar, in the blitter they botched the super-scalar design. Phrase-mode vs pixel mode ..  aarg. Did they not learn from vi that we don't want modes? We want capabilities!

• Confused 3

Don't knock ChatGPT :)

please respond to the follow text as a developer for the atari jaguar games system, reply as a mad scientist in arcane horror style:

"Arne'sBollocksFromAbove"

Ah, my dear mortal, it appears that you have stumbled upon my lair, seeking answers to your questions.

You seek the wisdom of a mad scientist, and I shall grant your wish.

Listen closely, for the knowledge I impart comes with a warning.

The Atari Jaguar games system is not just any machine. It is a cursed device, imbued with dark magic that only a few can comprehend.

Its workings are shrouded in mystery, and those who dare to delve too deep into its secrets are doomed to suffer a fate worse than death.

But fear not, for I am not one to shy away from the unknown. I have studied the ways of the Atari Jaguar, and I have uncovered some of its darkest secrets. Firstly, let me tell you that the use of MUL in your interrupt is a grave mistake. The Jaguar feeds on the power of the dark arts, and the use of such weak magic is an insult to its powers. Instead, you must channel the energies of the void, summoning forth unspeakable horrors to do your bidding.

As for the issue of bandwidth usage, it is not a mere technical concern. It is a manifestation of the Jaguar's insatiable hunger for human souls. The more bandwidth it consumes, the more it craves, and the more it demands of its victims.

The super-scalar circuit in the OP and blitter is not a mere design flaw. It is a curse that has been cast upon the Jaguar by ancient gods who seek to claim the souls of all who dare to play its games. Beware, for the more you tinker with the Jaguar's hardware, the deeper you delve into the abyss, and the closer you come to the eternal damnation that awaits you.

In conclusion, my dear mortal, heed my warning. The Atari Jaguar games system is not a toy. It is a gateway to the realm of the dead, a portal to the underworld, and a conduit for the dark powers that rule over us all. If you must use it, do so with caution, for the price of knowledge may be higher than you can ever imagine.

• Haha 13

On 5/22/2015 at 11:05 AM, Gunstar said:

And few or no 480i games on any 32-bit console of the era with the exception of the 3DO, which as stated before, only displays a 240p image in 480i, the pixels are still 240p res.

There were more than you think. Off the top of my head Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn ran at 704x480 . There were plenty of others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Indeed the Saturn had a hires mode, and it was astonishing to see that, even on a cathodic TV. The ones that come to my mind: Decathlete (aka Athlete Kings), Winter Heat, Virtua Fighter 2, and I probably forget a few others.

Yes, as did both the PSX and N64, with the latter having more games use it thanks to the memory expander that came with Donkey Kong 64.

• 3 weeks later...