IGNORED

Impossible Mission: is it worth it?

Dauber

I guess the topic says it all. Is it worth getting this game that lives up to its name?? I'd hate to waste my time and money on it knowing that it literally is impossible.

I know some time ago someone did a fix and called it "Possible Mission." I'd love to get my hands on that in cart form....

It's been a while, and it looks like I will be covering it on episode 14 of The Atari Game By Game Podcast, so I will be playing it soon, but from memory, I remember it being solid gameplay wise and pretty enjoyable.It really is a shame that it had the bug in it. And your question is real interesting. How do you look at a enjoyable game with an game breaking bug? Overall, I would say, play it it you get it as part of a lot, but don't go out of your way for it.

On a side note, I played it on the c64 plug n play joystick and actually beat it! It was very satisfying to do that after playing the 7800 version as a kid.

The C64 version is the original and the best, by a long way. The 7800 port isn't bad, and is fairly playable, certainly better than some of the other versions.

Pretty much sums up my perspective. The 7800 is fair, not excellent, wouldn't even call it good, but certainly isn't bad, per se. Regardless, the C64 is the best Impossible Mission experience.

I know some time ago someone did a fix and called it "Possible Mission." I'd love to get my hands on that in cart form....

If going to play through the 7800 port, I would agree to try obtaining "Possible Mission". The NTSC original release, with the impossible to complete due to a piece hidden behind an unsearchable item, is the show-stopper for me. Luckily, PAL users don't have that problem.

I guess the topic says it all. Is it worth getting this game that lives up to its name?? I'd hate to waste my time and money on it knowing that it literally is impossible.

Depends on your perspective. I thought it was perfectly playable and fun, just had a bug that prevented you from finishing. I enjoyed it a lot more than - say Karateka or Fight Night or Tomcat

• Like 1

It takes time to get good enough to where the programming error will even be an issue.

That's my biggest problem with the NTSC original under the 7800. A person invests all this time and effort only to reach a point where you can go no further, the game cannot be finished.

On the other hand, it would be great to see this on cart someday. I enjoy having 'Possible Mission' on cart, but a Possible Mission cart with the graphic improvements provided in the link, courtesy of KevinMos3, would be very sweet; the character has a much more fluid, detailed, and 'natural' look in addition to some fixes.

Down the road if the audio is improved, couple with the graphical fixes, wow...it would give the C64 original a run for its money. Make those audio improvements POKEY sound effects, Elvin's speech at the beginning and end of the game, the protagonist's voice when falling, etc., the update would then possibly surpass it.

• Like 3

What's the 'Pecking Order' then? C64-Master System-7800?

I had it and loved it on C64, never completed it, but then never needed to after Commodore User Magazine (i think) printed the ending screens for it.
Bought the sequel, technically improved, but never went as much on it.Never bothered with the 16 Bit versions of it either.
Think i dabbled with the reboot (Microprose?) years ago, but memory very very vague so it could'nt of left much of an impression on me.
I've had the PS Mini's version sat on my PS3 HDD for months, think i was planning to transfer it to PSP, never seemed to get around to it.

Is the PSP version the same as the Wii version?

The other thing about 7800 Impossible Mission is it recycles sound effects from 2600 Jedi Arena. It really could use POKEY audio and the digitized voices from the original C64 version. Graphical hacks would also be welcomed. I've wondered whether using the 2600 Keypads* in the 2nd Joystick Port might be of use.

*Anything to make more use out of that Star Raiders keypad controller.

No idea on Wii version.

Just installed PSN Mini's version i bought lordy knows when :-)

35 MB File....Play It/Broadsword logo's pop up...

Then on title screen your offered choice of following graphics modes to play through:

New, Classic and Merged.

Any of this sound familar?.

• 2 years later...

jumping physics are different then C64 version. Especially the yellow room with the diagonally placed platforms because it is impossible to reach the blue object in the upper right corner. I got possible mission and have yet to beat it yet I can beat the c64 version.

Edited by bradhig1

Can it be beaten? Let's ask the Mothership

EPISODE TWO: Good Deal Games is releasing a beatable version of Impossible Mission... a game that was technically impossible for over 25 years due to a programming bug. Funkmaster V acquired one of these beatable fixes years ago and his wasted youth was finally avenged.. Tonight's challenge... can he defeat "Possible Mission" on his first attempt in years? "Do you believe in the Funk?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aALUEUQzI

• Like 2