IGNORED

Beta Release Eye of the Beholder - Atari Lynx

mvirtuale

This game was really designed for a mouse though... I found trying to play it on the Lynx, while really cool and all, was just a bit too tedious.

It's just interface design. The GameBoy Advance version of Eye of the Beholder works great using the standard controls.

To be fair it wasn't worth $275! Well over the top especially because its just a repro. Someone should design a PCB for this and just roll out another 100 copies or so for the people that want it. Eric might do another run but I am not sure following on from his last email. Anyone any good with Eagle here? I can give you the measurements and track layout, then if we can source some NVRAM chips of the right type we can easily reproduce this.

• Like 2

$275. Not bad considering the previous BIN offer was pinned at 10k. Sorry you didn't get more for it but at least it's a fair indication of it's worth. :P

To be fair it wasn't worth $275! Well over the top especially because its just a repro. Someone should design a PCB for this and just roll out another 100 copies or so for the people that want it. Eric might do another run but I am not sure following on from his last email. Anyone any good with Eagle here? I can give you the measurements and track layout, then if we can source some NVRAM chips of the right type we can easily reproduce this.

I had no idea where the auction would end, so $275 is what it is. It's more than I paid Eric for it, less than what I needed, but it's fine. At least now I can pay some bills.

Worth it or not is kinda of the point of an auction, I suppose. At least a couple of people thought it was worth it, and that's all an auction needs. But I agree that it's a lot of money for a game, regardless of the game. It's the same argument that's been going on in the Jag forum every time a copy of BattleSphere goes for a ridiculous price. EotB is a fun game, but it's not $275 worth of fun. But until Eric or someone else makes more copies, it will continue to be "rare" and will get a higher and higher price on ePay.

Cheers,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

I've let go of Panic Restaurant and Bonk's Adventure (NES) in the past because they were worth more to someone else than me. Then I later picked up famicom copies of each game for 20% what I sold the NES versions for. I also last year sold an original RetroUSB repro of Mr Gimmick in translucent green shell for $250, and purchased a reproduction of the Japanese game with audio chip installed for a grand total of $52. From a gamer's perspective, the expansion audio was an upgrade! I used the money to buy more homebrew... :cool:

I had no idea where the auction would end, so $275 is what it is. It's more than I paid Eric for it, less than what I needed, but it's fine. At least now I can pay some bills.

Worth it or not is kinda of the point of an auction, I suppose. At least a couple of people thought it was worth it, and that's all an auction needs. But I agree that it's a lot of money for a game, regardless of the game. It's the same argument that's been going on in the Jag forum every time a copy of BattleSphere goes for a ridiculous price. EotB is a fun game, but it's not $275 worth of fun. But until Eric or someone else makes more copies, it will continue to be "rare" and will get a higher and higher price on ePay.

Cheers,

Smeg

Not trying to attack you btw! Totally get the fact it's all about supply and demand, and as you say it was an auction. I paid £150 for mine, not far off $275 if I remember. The ROM was released a while back and it's bound to get hacked for SD cart usage, so now is the time to sell I guess.

Not trying to attack you btw! Totally get the fact it's all about supply and demand, and as you say it was an auction. I paid £150 for mine, not far off $275 if I remember. The ROM was released a while back and it's bound to get hacked for SD cart usage, so now is the time to sell I guess.

I didn't get the 'attack' vibe - It's all good. :) Hopefully, new (and reasonably priced) copies will emerge.

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

Lots of military training has kept me busy for the past year. Juggling being away from home and what little time I've had with the family; games have taken a back road to what I vie was a top priority. But, safe to say; I'll be pushing out a release soon. I've started soldering and I'm finalizing printing arrangements for boxes/manuals. Looking to produce a different label but it may stay the same to get the project done while I've got a little bit of time.

Timeframe: earliest the end of July. Latest first of September.

I may pop on here and say first ten; shoot me a PM, and Mail off ten.

Aside from all of that:

Like others; I have mixed feelings about the ROM being released, but I'm fine with it now. One concern I do have with things: I don't like sharing emails with people and then find out they are speaking for me within the forums. I'm a bit more turned-off by that than anything else. But on the flip side I think I can see the side B of the cassette tape and can see why old information is posted if I've been gone a bit. But... If I send a message to you within the past 24 hours.... I'd say let the tape run a bit to see if there is a secret song hidden after a minute of silence. ;)

All is good... But just wanted to say that as I don't think it's the right thing to do.

All that to the side: life is good. I miss the Lynx world... To some extent. But a flash cart, and emulation has assisted.

I still have a few Lynx items I'm unloading. I'm sure you'll all see it on eBay. Still have 100s of different 2600 carts and some 7800 stuff as well. Need anything, just let me know. See ya for now. I'll maintain a presence on here for the next few months; so I'll be checking in from time to time. Any of my old buds around still? Stop in to say hello!

Maybe it's best not to shrink wrap your stuff, otherwise the resellers and collectards will get in on it. Then it will sit on shelves and never get played, you know because opening a sealed game somehow "hurts" it's resale value.

I'm not wrapping anything... That was in jest.

And... "Collectards" have already got their paws on them.

• Like 1

Already got their paws on them? Did that mean you already got the ten PMs? I'm sure going to look out for your 'shoot me a PM 'but won't insult you by PMing before you've even announced it!

. Not what I meant...

I'm not looking for anyone to PM yet. If you want to, that's fine. I'm not going to deal with lists or anything this time around.

Hello everyone.

Lots of military training has kept me busy for the past year. Juggling being away from home and what little time I've had with the family; games have taken a back road to what I vie was a top priority. But, safe to say; I'll be pushing out a release soon. I've started soldering and I'm finalizing printing arrangements for boxes/manuals. Looking to produce a different label but it may stay the same to get the project done while I've got a little bit of time.

Timeframe: earliest the end of July. Latest first of September.

I may pop on here and say first ten; shoot me a PM, and Mail off ten.

Aside from all of that:

Like others; I have mixed feelings about the ROM being released, but I'm fine with it now. One concern I do have with things: I don't like sharing emails with people and then find out they are speaking for me within the forums. I'm a bit more turned-off by that than anything else. But on the flip side I think I can see the side B of the cassette tape and can see why old information is posted if I've been gone a bit. But... If I send a message to you within the past 24 hours.... I'd say let the tape run a bit to see if there is a secret song hidden after a minute of silence. ;)

All is good... But just wanted to say that as I don't think it's the right thing to do.

All that to the side: life is good. I miss the Lynx world... To some extent. But a flash cart, and emulation has assisted.

I still have a few Lynx items I'm unloading. I'm sure you'll all see it on eBay. Still have 100s of different 2600 carts and some 7800 stuff as well. Need anything, just let me know. See ya for now. I'll maintain a presence on here for the next few months; so I'll be checking in from time to time. Any of my old buds around still? Stop in to say hello!

Glad to hear you've completed your training! And it is nice to see you back here =D

That said, I cannot help but feel a couple of those comments are directed at me, so I feel like an explanation is required. You mention you have mixed feelings about the ROM being released, which is odd because you said you were going to release it a few years back, after your final release. I was quite patient waiting for you to come back to do another run but eventually I just assumed you weren't going to return. I apologize if I have caused problems there with your plans to release the ROM, and to do this final run.

With regards to communicating to people via email, again I cannot help but feel this is directed at me. When someone emails me and talks about their plans, unless the plans are super secretive or they have expressed that what I am told should not be shared, and provided that the information is not sensitive or could cause problems in any way, I share the information where appropriate. For example, if I write to a developer about a fix for a game and they tell me it will be released in the next few months, I share that information with the community that wants to know. In the case of EOTB, you stated on a few occasions you would be doing a final run, and I thought that would be OK to share with the community. If you class that as "speaking for you" you are mistaken, I simply passed on news relevant to the community.

• Like 1

. Not what I meant...

I'm not looking for anyone to PM yet. If you want to, that's fine. I'm not going to deal with lists or anything this time around.

Thanks Eric, I'd certainly like one however the communication is done :) I reckon you'll get a massively bigger interest than ten initially given the interest in lynx lately.