IGNORED

Beta Release Eye of the Beholder - Atari Lynx

mvirtuale

Already got their paws on them? Did that mean you already got the ten PMs? I'm sure going to look out for your 'shoot me a PM 'but won't insult you by PMing before you've even announced it!

. Not what I meant...

I'm not looking for anyone to PM yet. If you want to, that's fine. I'm not going to deal with lists or anything this time around.

He meant "collectards" already hoarding the prievious runs, hence the price inflation. Not to mention one eBay moron who tried listing one for $10,000 OBO... :ponder:

Already got their paws on them? Did that mean you already got the ten PMs? I'm sure going to look out for your 'shoot me a PM 'but won't insult you by PMing before you've even announced it!

Some of us got our paws on them a few years ago. IIRC 40 boxed set? Well, 1 idiot collector and probably 39 sensible player. :D (yes a stab at eBay)

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear you've completed your training! And it is nice to see you back here =D

That said, I cannot help but feel a couple of those comments are directed at me, so I feel like an explanation is required. You mention you have mixed feelings about the ROM being released, which is odd because you said you were going to release it a few years back, after your final release. I was quite patient waiting for you to come back to do another run but eventually I just assumed you weren't going to return. I apologize if I have caused problems there with your plans to release the ROM, and to do this final run.

With regards to communicating to people via email, again I cannot help but feel this is directed at me. When someone emails me and talks about their plans, unless the plans are super secretive or they have expressed that what I am told should not be shared, and provided that the information is not sensitive or could cause problems in any way, I share the information where appropriate. For example, if I write to a developer about a fix for a game and they tell me it will be released in the next few months, I share that information with the community that wants to know. In the case of EOTB, you stated on a few occasions you would be doing a final run, and I thought that would be OK to share with the community. If you class that as "speaking for you" you are mistaken, I simply passed on news relevant to the community.

I have mixed feelings about you releasing the ROM knowing that I am putting another release out there. It was in bad taste. Kinda like when Chris was selling $200 versions of the game because he got a handful made right when I did the first release. But at this point, it doesn't matter. People want a playable cart for their collection rather than just a ROM. That's what I've been seeing. It was bad timing, that's all. No one else in this community that had the ROM for years did what you did. Even when you posted it; you were hesitant. Again; moot point now. Bad timing when you did it.

Emails: I don't like people speaking FOR me, which I do classify what you did as such. If you and I are having a sidebar conversation within an email or a PM; I would trust that that conversation stays with you. What you did was basically inform me that I can no longer have that trust and others need to be super specific about talking to you in emails as well; or they will find that you regurgitated it everywhere.

So... all of that said; a simple PM to say all of this would have been fine. There's nothing to hash out, because I do not have a problem with you. Your timing was just awful....lol

Play games and be merry!!!!!! :)

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about you releasing the ROM knowing that I am putting another release out there. It was in bad taste. Kinda like when Chris was selling $200 versions of the game because he got a handful made right when I did the first release. But at this point, it doesn't matter. People want a playable cart for their collection rather than just a ROM. That's what I've been seeing. It was bad timing, that's all. No one else in this community that had the ROM for years did what you did. Even when you posted it; you were hesitant. Again; moot point now. Bad timing when you did it.

Emails: I don't like people speaking FOR me, which I do classify what you did as such. If you and I are having a sidebar conversation within an email or a PM; I would trust that that conversation stays with you. What you did was basically inform me that I can no longer have that trust and others need to be super specific about talking to you in emails as well; or they will find that you regurgitated it everywhere.

So... all of that said; a simple PM to say all of this would have been fine. There's nothing to hash out, because I do not have a problem with you. Your timing was just awful....lol

Play games and be merry!!!!!! :)

Actually I have had lots of conversations with many people on here, and information that is clearly confidential has always been kept that way, so suggesting otherwise is just an insult. Please explain what the top secret was with regards to you doing another cart release?!?!? The reason I released the ROM was because it was my initial intention to release it, and I held off - waiting for you, for like 2 f******* years!!! Sorry, I got bored waiting, it really is as simple as that! I thought you had just moved on and away from the scene. Anyway, no hard feelings - you really haven't lost anything because of the ROM release, if anything it pulled a lot of people in chasing me asking when you were releasing a new cart, so it had the opposite effect - just as I said it would.

Just wondering on how the original rom file was acertained. Was a shame this was never released back in the day. I can't imagine putting that much effort into producing something like this for it not to see the light of day.

I can. It looks like a nightmare to me to handle that "game". Sorry but I'm already not a fan of these kind of games, but having to "emulate" a mouse using the d-pad has to be a royal PITA. From what I've read Atari considered the game to be too complicated (to handle).....seems they were right for a change....

Then again, I'm just an action/arcade game fan. I don't want to have to go through 200+ menu's with selections I don't understand, having loads of text to read etc. But that's probably because I'm from 1967 and grew up with arcade games that were "easy to learn, hard to master" .....

Now.....how about a FPS for the Lynx....... :D

Actually I have had lots of conversations with many people on here, and information that is clearly confidential has always been kept that way, so suggesting otherwise is just an insult. Please explain what the top secret was with regards to you doing another cart release?!?!? The reason I released the ROM was because it was my initial intention to release it, and I held off - waiting for you, for like 2 f******* years!!! Sorry, I got bored waiting, it really is as simple as that! I thought you had just moved on and away from the scene. Anyway, no hard feelings - you really haven't lost anything because of the ROM release, if anything it pulled a lot of people in chasing me asking when you were releasing a new cart, so it had the opposite effect - just as I said it would.

No worries man... please don't be offended as that is not my intentions. We've had numerous great conversations... this is just small potatoes. Honestly.

Maybe I'll have you release my different version of Dgate out to the masses... lol

Again... all is good. Don't get too wrapped up in this. :)

• Like 1

Now that they're out there I hope emulators begin to support save files.

You know, I originally did half of a play through on a PSP through an emulator. I saved it through the emulator, not the actual game menu. It worked for my purposes. But then I wanted to play all the way through on real hardware to make sure it was solid and there were no issues. Worked fine.

• Like 1

Just wondering on how the original rom file was acertained. Was a shame this was never released back in the day. I can't imagine putting that much effort into producing something like this for it not to see the light of day.

Not sure of the entire story. But you can trace the roots of me tracking down one of the original carts that were produced from harry way back in the day from a prototype cart that was found. Just check the history and you'll see lots of talk about EOTB.

• Like 1

quick online translation:

Eye of the beholder, I offer for the Atari Lynx. It's here the complete game and not the demo as so often offered. With memory function. Very rare. This is a Privatauk

Looks like Eric's release but without the stupidly high starting bid or BIN like we had some months ago.

• Like 1

I can. It looks like a nightmare to me to handle that "game". Sorry but I'm already not a fan of these kind of games, but having to "emulate" a mouse using the d-pad has to be a royal PITA. From what I've read Atari considered the game to be too complicated (to handle).....seems they were right for a change....

Then again, I'm just an action/arcade game fan. I don't want to have to go through 200+ menu's with selections I don't understand, having loads of text to read etc. But that's probably because I'm from 1967 and grew up with arcade games that were "easy to learn, hard to master" .....

Now.....how about a FPS for the Lynx....... :D

I completely understand this, as, without the manual, I found it unplayable when I first got my copy years ago. The docs make all the difference, though.

• Like 1