IGNORED

Best Pac Man Homebrew?

sandmountainslim

With the Pac 35th anniversary this week I have been playing Pac Man on Stella and of the two Pac homebrews I know of I am having a hard time choosing between PacMan 4k (Debro) and the ROM I got on this site called "PacMan26004k" by another programmer whom I can't remember their name.

both are miles and miles ahead of VCS Pac and even VCS Ms Pac.

Anyone else know both games and do u have a fav?

With the Pac 35th anniversary this week I have been playing Pac Man on Stella and of the two Pac homebrews I know of I am having a hard time choosing between PacMan 4k (Debro) and the ROM I got on this site called "PacMan26004k" by another programmer whom I can't remember their name.

both are miles and miles ahead of VCS Pac and even VCS Ms Pac.

Anyone else know both games and do u have a fav?

I think you mean DINTAR816, and the thread for it is here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/

Check out the latest 8k versions. It gets better and better. ;)

Been playing a lot of Ms. Pac-Man lately (my favorite original for the 2600), so I went through my files to try and sort out what I have in the homebrew/hack. It looks like I have three different "strains" -- Pac-Man Arcade, Pac-Man 4K (with and without intermissions), and Pac-Man 8K. Since I'm still without a Harmony Cart for the time being, I'm playing them all via Stella. Pac-Man 8K's been getting the most playtime.

Trying each of them, they're all pretty great. All really fun to play, all technically impressive, and each a little different from the others, beyond just how many bytes they use.

Thanks to all the programmers/hackers/developers who've worked on these... my hat's off. Playing your work has made my day better.

Dintar's (Dintar816) 8k Pac-Man (recently updated), is by far the best.

The sounds are incredible, monster AI, attract screen, and intermissions. Listen to that brilliant dying sound effect, and the energizer frightened mode sound effect.

It is flat out my favorite game ever made for the Atari 2600 (past or present).

Pac-Man 8k (Dintar).bin

Edited by KAZ
  • Like 1

The sounds are incredible, monster AI, attract screen, and intermissions. Listen to that brilliant dying sound effect, and the energizer frightened mode sound effect.

Amazing - how did I miss this?

DINTAR816 is still working on it too. It's best to post a link to the first post of the thread instead of re-posting the rom here, since years from now someone will find this thread and think that is the final version. The first post of the thread is usually updated by the homebrew author to point to the current rom, and is done so in this case.

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

You know that back in 1999, 8 years before Dennis @DEBRO came up with HIS great version of Pac-Man 4K, a company named Ebivision came up with their own 4K version of Pac-Man, I had only heard about it but never actually saw it in action, so searched for it in Google and found both the video, and, eventually, the ROM for it as well, so here is a clip of it during its gameplay, and, the actual ROM I found online after a lot of searching.

BTW when it comes to doing Pac-Man in 4K I thought Dennis @DEBRO's version was the best 4K version ever, Take THAT Todd Frye!!!

.....but this version was not so bad either.

I originally found it here, BTW, pay no attention to it being advertised in SECAM, it works here on my Flashback and may also work on both emulators and also the Harmony Encore as well.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-pac-man_13367.html

PacManEbivision.bin

• Like 1

That they did, I also have that ROM as well, so here it is.

BTW I also did download all of Ebivision's games on ROM too, you can find them right here: 

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-ebivision_publisher_2219_2_G.html

BTW, ignore the SECAM listing, they work fine on my Flashback 9 and might work on Harmony Encore as well.

Pesco.bin

• Like 1