IGNORED

atari 8-bit RF shields

well, i've not put this in the marketplace section - as these are free.

i know most of you won't need any RF shields as they're more or less redundant with modern equipment. however if there's anyone out there needs them for either

1] completeness' sake, or

2] to use the aluminium for other things

anyhow, if anyone wants a load - i've got approx 10x 800XL upper shields, 3x 800XL lower shields and a 1200XL shield incl cart cover.

as i said, these are FREE - one caveat - they MUST be accounted for by lunchtime tomorrow (UK time) - our refuse collection is Weds afternoon..

all i'm asking in return is to cover postage - approx £3

be green, save the environment - after tomorrow lunchtime - these will live at the local waste site

Can the RF shields be completely removed from the XL and/or XE series with no negative effects?

It will differ from machine to machine some negative effects will effect the Video because of RF propagation and ground effects.. But mostly it is okay to leave them off. All of mine are gone to storage. I find that the worst offender is the 600 XL.NTSC because of poor Video quality to start with..

well i've not had a problem with doing so

as long as you're not connected to a 1970s/80s TV set via RF there should be no issues at all

I have a 130XE which suffered with write errors using a SIDE1 cart without the bottom shield panel but was fine with, so they still have their uses. ;)

Well... I wonder... I'm genuinely not trying to pull your leg here FJC - but do you think that might be at the root of my 'SIDELoader' problems? I did scrap the shields as mine are in terrible condition. Again, not trying to be funny here - just wondering.

I know some coin-collector chaps have quite arcane recipes to clean off old tarnish. I know one old fellow who swears by petrol mixed with HP sauce if you can believe it! I wonder if there is anything similar you can do to strip away the surface corrosion from these tin\aluminium sheets? I think if I tried a wire brush on the Dremmel it would very quickly go straight through.

Just on the physical space front; is there really room to keep the shields and have the "Ultimate1MB"/"SimpleStereo" or especially the "VBXE" installed?

...do you think that might be at the root of my 'SIDELoader' problems?

I don't know. It's not gonna harm to try reattaching the bottom shield (if you can find one).

Just on the physical space front; is there really room to keep the shields and have the "Ultimate1MB"/"SimpleStereo" or especially the "VBXE" installed?

Bottom: yes, top: not without a lot of hassle. The top shield is no loss, and the bottom layer is just an optional troubleshooting aid.

I have a 130XE which suffered with write errors using a SIDE1 cart without the bottom shield panel but was fine with, so they still have their uses. ;)

I had this with myide 1. With shield they worked. Without nothing worked with them. I found out that this was a mass issue (not an RF issue)

Personally I love original atari with shield since the computer feels more robust with the extra weight.

Next to that: my ataris without shield probably have modifications. When I was younger my solder work wasn't that good so modifications weren't fixed in place very well by me. So.... After having a lot of trouble with that I realised that in my case atari with shield are definitely better to use. Nowadays my mods are done a lot better so this experience doesn't count anymore although I still prefer atari with shield for that reason.

Shields stay on for me, avoid video and radio tower problems, as well as the other issues of mass and certain new hardware not working etc.

The top side is partially shielded by the keyboard.... the bottom ALWAYS get shielded on mine for all of the above reasons outlined in the thread

I'm still neurotic enough to worry about a random FCC drive-by. The NTSC signal spectrum is still in use here, albeit for digital TV rather than analog. Hell hath no fury like a pissed off bureaucrat with turf to defend.