IGNORED

Universal PS/2 mouse adapter for all existing TI joystick programs.

Omega-TI

PS/2 Mouse Adapter for the TI-99/4A  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you could purchase an INLINE MOUSE ADAPTER that went between a PS/2 mouse and the joystick port, would you be interested in purchasing one?

• YES
    • NO
    • Maybe (Please elaborate in message area below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Joystick routines have been around since day one on the TI, so a PS/2 mouse interface would be compatible with 100% of the programs already written for joystick support.

A new interface could probably be built and sold for less than the cost of an old used Wico Trackball.

Newer programs specifically designed for mouse use would give the TI new possible directions in which it could evolve.

This poll is designed to determine interest levels.

Even if you are not interested, please vote.

Thanks!

P.S. The other beauty of this thing is EVERYONE could use it, even people with UNEXPANDED systems.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

Hmmm... for those of you who've tried it, how well does a mouse work with programs written for joystick control, that don't take acceleration into account? I can hardly see that being a very usable solution?

In << this message >> by Tursi in another thread, it seems like it worked out just fine for the 'Wico Trackball'. From an operational standpoint, an inline mouse converter should operate just as well. Actually, now that I think about it, a new device could be manufactured with a 'sensitivity setting' switch to address a possible conflict with an odd-ball program or two.

So the Wico trackball worked fine with joystick applications. It can never move the object faster than the joystick did, but it could and did allow slower and more precise movement. I used it a lot with games and with TI Artist+.

• Like 1

I've always found it easier to use a mouse. If one is ever built, I'd probably leave it hooked up most of the time.

I'd love to see a schematic for such a device. If it did not require a specially programmed chip, it should be doable with point to point soldering on a perf board.

It looks like the interest is there... :)

So the Wico trackball worked fine with joystick applications. It can never move the object faster than the joystick did, but it could and did allow slower and more precise movement. I used it a lot with games and with TI Artist+.

That's roughly what I thought. Now, for a trackball, that's ok, since it's basically an "infinite range" device. A mouse however, would have to be picked up and replaced on the desk quite often to make up for the lack of speed and acceleration typically afforded by real mouse driven applications. To me, that would kill any benefit a mouse might have.

So, while it might be adequate for a trackball, we can't assume that this will be equally true for a mouse.

That's roughly what I thought. Now, for a trackball, that's ok, since it's basically an "infinite range" device. A mouse however, would have to be picked up and replaced on the desk quite often to make up for the lack of speed and acceleration typically afforded by real mouse driven applications. To me, that would kill any benefit a mouse might have.

So, while it might be adequate for a trackball, we can't assume that this will be equally true for a mouse.

That's assuming its /purpose/ is joystick replacement, which isn't really so (or at least, I'd still use a joystick for most joystick games). Even a trackball wasn't very good for Munchman, for instance. Still, your point is valid. The trackball more easily makes up for slower movement or missed ticks by being easy to keep spinning.

It's all theoretical anyway, unless someone's actually building it. :)

Edited by Tursi

A mouse however, would have to be picked up and replaced on the desk quite often to make up for the lack of speed and acceleration typically afforded by real mouse driven applications. To me, that would kill any benefit a mouse might have.

Good point! I had not thought about that aspect. I wonder, while a joystick converter is not the same thing, I can go across the entire 3200 width of my dual screens on the PC without picking up the mouse. With this in mind, the TI's MUCH smaller screen area may make help make up for that.

Still, your point is valid. The trackball more easily makes up for slower movement or missed ticks by being easy to keep spinning.

It's all theoretical anyway, unless someone's actually building it. :)

Agreed!