IGNORED

Giving a slute to the original Super Mario Bros for the NES.

Aye Mateys, I know 'ye be knowing the feeling I'm talkin' about. That unmistakable feelin' of playing Super Mario Brothers on the NES for the first time and feeling that amazing rush of "awe" come over 'ye as 'ye explore the mushroom kingdom for the first time. I remember being a young skallywag back in the late 80's when I first experienced the game and I'll never forget the night I brought home me' booty from the toy store which consisted of an NES (with Mario/Duck Hunt) and Skate or Die. I played Mario for hours and hours before even touching the other two games and to this day the good captain still regard that special feeling as the single most important moment in me' entire video gaming life. I actually had the pleasure of playing Super Mario Brothers in the arcade back in the late 80's as well, which took me by surprise when I saw it at an ol' pizza shop back by the port where we kept the S.S Retro because I thought it was console only. Ah, the sweet innocence of being a child back before the days of the internet. If you get a chance than by all means check out my piratey-esq review of SMB over @ http://capnnostalgia.blogspot.com fer' those who be interested. I was lucky enough to own it twice back in the day, one as a single cart and the other couples with Duck Hunt, I sadly never had the triple cart with the racing/triathlon game.

What kind of experiences do 'ye folks have with Super Mario Brothers on the NES? I'm sure many folks postin' here in the retro section of the forum be' around 30+, so many of you landlubbers should know these memories and feelin's in which Cap'n Nostalgia be talkin'. One thing the cap'n loves is how Nintendo has done a good job at keeping their classics games relevant in today's market with their virtual console on Wii, Wii-U, and 3DS, and how they find ways to bring these classics back time after time for new generations of treasure hunters to enjoy. And now they've brought back the Nintendo World Championships after 25 years or so with the NEX Remix release for the Wii-U and now gamers of all ages will be either discovering these classics for the first time or rekindling an ol' flame. The cap'n applauds the big "N" for their efforts.

Arrrgggh mateys, that be all from Cap'n Nostalgia fer now. Get back to work, the lot of ya!

• Like 2

I'll be 34 in a couple months. And I first played Super Mario Bros back in 1987. It was the arcade vs. Version. And let me tell you. I had a fun time playing it despite being 6 years old and fairly new to and not knowing a whole lot about video games. The system at the time in the household was the Atari 2600. Anyways from then on I enjoyed playing that mustached plumber from the arcades to my friends who had NES systems. It wasn't until 1988 that I got an NES and played it all the time, and in 1989 I finally beat the game and was the first game I ever beaten. I noticed how different the arcade version was to the NES version. Some minor obstacles, no turtle hopping at the end of 3-1 (goombas replaced koopas), no warp to 6, 7, 8 only 6 in world 4-2, and some levels have designs of The Lost Levels. I have almost the whole Mario platformer series. Even the Lost Levels on an NES repro cart, Famicom Disk System, and Virtual Console. Plus I have Vs. Super Mario Bros. On an NES reproduction cart. It brings so much nostalgia to me and the game that introduced to me and my love for the NES.

I remember thinking it was HUGE. I had been playing Atari 2600 and at my relatives' Intellivision. Most games were single screen or limited scrolling. So when I got NES for Christmas with SMB (and Zelda and Wild Gunmen IIRC) the game seemed huge. And when I got to the end of world 1-1, I thought that was it then surprise 1-2 began a whole new world. To this day I still have never finished SMB from start without using warps.

Zelda seemed bigger than SMB with large 16x8 world plus 9 dungeons and lots of secrets. The concept of hunting every nook and cranny to find secret passage was new to me. And damn when I defeated Gannon (spelled correctly according to this game) and I was back at the game screen, I noticed a sword was added and when I played that, some of the world were different, much harder.

Aye these be some wonderful stories, lads! The good captain is glad that there is a community of people out there that still hold onto and cherish their retrogaming memories. These be the kind of things that bring a tear to me' eye. 'Ye bunch of cod-faced deck washers are makin' me proud and reading these stories are takin' me back to when I was knee high to a grasshopper. Now it's time for Cap'n Nostalgia to fire up some NES and Atari VCS, enjoy yer' night fellow brethren.

Thanks mateys!

Oh man , Zelda was magical when I got it from Toys R Us for Christmas and played it for hours and hours .

Oddly enough Cap'n Nostalgia had Zelda II before I dug up the original. Aaarrgh, I didn't really play a lot of Zelda until the early 90's, by that time Zelda II was already a treasure in me' eyes and me' favorite game of all time. Sure, the good captain catches some guff for makin' a choice such as that, but those cod-faced deck washers end up walk in' the plank!

• Like 2

I don't remember my reaction to SMB, but I do to SMB2 - the graphics just blew me away, it felt like a cartoon (the second Super Mario for Gameboy had a similar progression)

Same with Mega Man 2, when I saw the waterfall level on a giant-for-the-era TV; so cool looking, and then that mama robo frog w/ the baby robo frogs just resonated for me so hard...

I don't remember my reaction to SMB, but I do to SMB2 - the graphics just blew me away, it felt like a cartoon (the second Super Mario for Gameboy had a similar progression)

Same with Mega Man 2, when I saw the waterfall level on a giant-for-the-era TV; so cool looking, and then that mama robo frog w/ the baby robo frogs just resonated for me so hard...

Aye, the graphics in SMB2 were far superior to the first installment, matey. Honestly, despite SMB2 being a clone of another game it still ranks high on my list of all-time gaming favorites and I cherish that game down to me' last drop o' rum. It's a true classic despite its odd history.

• Like 1

Same thing for me. I don't remember playing much of the first SMB - maybe because that was my brother's console and he got SMB2 first.

So my memories goes to SMB2 - vibrant graphics, 4 characters with REAL different capabilities, the overworld secrets, warp pasages. It felt complete to me, and it remains for me the best SMB on the NES, but that's just me and my memories.

Not the biggest Nintendo fan, but love me some SMB. Play it every single time I boot up this Dreamcast looking pad of mine with a bunch of NES games on it. Game is simply a classic. Sounds, music, gameplay, graphics, levels, bosses, playability - you name it. Excellent platformer… one that laid down the expectations for nearly every_single_platformer since. :love:

Best memories include playing it at home on the NES back in the mid 80's AND the Sears arcade room, which was located upstairs near the Toughskin section. :lol:

• Like 1

Aye Mateys, I know 'ye be knowing the feeling I'm talkin' about. That unmistakable feelin' of playing Super Mario Brothers on the NES for the first time and feeling that amazing rush of "awe" come over 'ye as 'ye explore the mushroom kingdom for the first time. I remember being a young skallywag back in the late 80's when I first experienced the game and I'll never forget the night I brought home me' booty from the toy store which consisted of an NES (with Mario/Duck Hunt) and Skate or Die. I played Mario for hours and hours before even touching the other two games and to this day the good captain still regard that special feeling as the single most important moment in me' entire video gaming life. I actually had the pleasure of playing Super Mario Brothers in the arcade back in the late 80's as well, which took me by surprise when I saw it at an ol' pizza shop back by the port where we kept the S.S Retro because I thought it was console only. Ah, the sweet innocence of being a child back before the days of the internet. If you get a chance than by all means check out my piratey-esq review of SMB over @ http://capnnostalgia.blogspot.com fer' those who be interested. I was lucky enough to own it twice back in the day, one as a single cart and the other couples with Duck Hunt, I sadly never had the triple cart with the racing/triathlon game.

What kind of experiences do 'ye folks have with Super Mario Brothers on the NES? I'm sure many folks postin' here in the retro section of the forum be' around 30+, so many of you landlubbers should know these memories and feelin's in which Cap'n Nostalgia be talkin'. One thing the cap'n loves is how Nintendo has done a good job at keeping their classics games relevant in today's market with their virtual console on Wii, Wii-U, and 3DS, and how they find ways to bring these classics back time after time for new generations of treasure hunters to enjoy. And now they've brought back the Nintendo World Championships after 25 years or so with the NEX Remix release for the Wii-U and now gamers of all ages will be either discovering these classics for the first time or rekindling an ol' flame. The cap'n applauds the big "N" for their efforts.

Arrrgggh mateys, that be all from Cap'n Nostalgia fer now. Get back to work, the lot of ya!

Why are you talking like this?

Why are you talking like this?

CapnNostalgia...pirate avatar... :ponder:

I guess I get the concept, but have to admit that I found it tedious to read.

(The name makes me think of Cap'n Delta/Cap'n Mitch from the kiddie TV show when I was a youngster. If you get that then you know roughly where I grew up. But he was a river boat captain, not a pirate. Still...nostalgia)

Edited by BigO
  • Like 1

Ahoy mateys! Last night the good captain threw this game into the ol' NES and made it all the way to world 7-1 without losing a life, and that's without using warp zones or gaining any secret lives. What a rush! Unfortunately I died a few times in world 7-3 and that was it for this ol' sea dog, but it was a blast nonetheless. Haven't beaten this game since around 2007 but Cap'n Nostalgia never sleeps until his bounty is completed, so here I come for round two!