IGNORED

Giving a slute to the original Super Mario Bros for the NES.

I'll be the lone dissenter here but I've never cared for any of the SMB games. When I got my first NES in 88 I spent more time playing Duck Hunt. I'll admit that I was simply not good enough for SMB and it frustrated me easily and became that moment in time when I began to loathe multi-screen platformers.

I didn't get it. The world was getting ready for 16-bit gaming (ST, Amiga) and USA took a step backwards, going back to 8-bits. And platformers seemed so VCS.

As an Amiga owner at the time in the US, I can say that the NES didn't always seem inferior. They were simply different games, and obviously there was a lot of excitement around it. I think history has shown that popular gaming rarely equals the most technically proficient gaming. There's also a big difference between a $250 console and a $1000 computer in terms of price and expectations.

To put the above another way, why do consoles still thrive when you can configure a superior computer? Because they serve different needs and purposes and excel at different things. Some things never change.

• Like 5

As an Amiga owner at the time in the US, I can say that the NES didn't always seem inferior. They were simply different games, and obviously there was a lot of excitement around it. I think history has shown that popular gaming rarely equals the most technically proficient gaming. There's also a big difference between a $250 console and a $1000 computer in terms of price and expectations.

To put the above another way, why do consoles still thrive when you can configure a superior computer? Because they serve different needs and purposes and excel at different things. Some things never change.

Totally agree, plus, I suspect I'm not the only one that got an NES a couple years before an Amiga. Once I got my Amiga it got all my gaming time, but the NES (and SMS) had a few magical years.

Edited by BydoEmpire

It's funny, I went from C=64 to Nintendo and later to PC (Wing Commander era) and the Amiga will always have this mystique of "better", even though technology has obviously advanced on.

What blew me away was the Official Nintendo Player's Guide

http://www.retronintendoreviews.com/the-official-nintendo-players-guide-1987-review-now-thats-a-players-guide/

especially its maps and enemy guides to Metroid - even though i sense the C=64 was more powerful (born out by the ports of Skate or Die, later...) I just felt like there was nothing on the scale of Metroid that was being done on C=64. (Despite all the "fun" piracy :-( )

Totally agree, plus, I suspect I'm not the only one that got an NES a couple years before an Amiga. Once I got my Amiga it got all my gaming time, but the NES (and SMS) had a few magical years.

True, the NES appeared late in UK, most users had STs already. Nintendo didn't stand a chance, as stated in Game Over.

True, the NES appeared late in UK, most users had STs already. Nintendo didn't stand a chance, as stated in Game Over.

The computers you mention weren't all that popular in the USA either, so that could have something to do with it. When the NES was on fire it seemed like everyone had one, or if they didn't, everyone at least knew someone that had one. Definitely can't say the same for those computers at the time. Completely different market over here.

• Like 1

I remember the first time I saw SMB on the NES; I was blown away! We had just moved to another neighborhood in late summer of 1988. Still had our C-64, but only the base model with cartridge games. Went down the street and some kid had the NES with SMB. The sounds, the higher-res graphics, the gameplay and polished controls/movement were amazing to me. It seemed like a full generation ahead of the basic C-64, so we soon got the NES package with SMB/Duck Hunt and the zapper gun 8) I also remember very well when SMB 2 and SMB 3 came out; I was still in elementary school. Got those games as birthday presents cuz I begged for them. New NES games back then were expensive; like $40 a piece. We bought new and used games and also rented a lot of games back in those days.

I didn't get it. The world was getting ready for 16-bit gaming (ST, Amiga) and USA took a step backwards, going back to 8-bits. And platformers seemed so VCS.

How many times have we seen you say this now? It's getting old... :roll:

I could come back and say: "Why was the 8-bit SMS so popular in the UK and Brazil well into the 1990s when 16-bit gaming was all around?" See what I did there?

The NES was VERY big in the USA and Japan in the late 1980s to early 1990s. It was a very exciting time. But some seem to forget that by the early 90s, the 16-bit SNES AND Genesis were becoming popular in the US :!:

That said, I still find myself playing my old NES more than my other systems lately for nostalgia reasons and because many of the games are just good and fun! It's the games library that "make" a system....

Edited by gamecat80