IGNORED

thinking about getting a ps1

I don't think EVERY PS1 game is compatible with PS3, or even PS2, although most are. But regarding you question about the PS ONE, I really like the small form factor and its a nice little console. Lots of great games, and you can find games pretty cheap these days (except, of course, those that are rarer and more expensive). I really like the PS1 as it is sort-of the "gateway" to modern gaming, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Small forma factor? it's almost as big as a PS2.

However, the PS2 is almost fully backward compatible with it, and the PS2 have component output for better video display on newer screens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

The count is 40 games, however, most of those games are incompatible with the toy PS2 thingie, get a real one and you'll be safe.

• Like 1

There aren't that many PS1 games incompatible with the PS2, but these are significant:

Driver

Final Fantasy Anthology

Final Fantasy Tactics

Legend of Dragoon

Metal Gear Solid VR Missions

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

Tomba!

For me, a PS1 is worth it for the above games, even excluding Driver and SPFIIT. Tomba! and MGSVRM are especially worth it, and FFA and FFT are excellent RPGs.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, a 1/4 of the size of the full size PS2. There was also a slim of that console. The slim PS2 is one of the most common systems I see at thrifts now, I think. My quick googling tells me that compatibility is not identical across version of the same 'body' revision.

• Like 1

You mean the PS1 has Tekken 3, Spyro 1,2, and 3, Final Fantasy 7, Crash team racing, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Rollcage, Tony Hawk's pro skater, Twisted metal, Siphon filter, gex, Driver, GTA and you don't have one??? and yes that PS1 lot is a good deal

Edited by TheObscureGamer
  • Like 1

So there's a PS1 and a PSOne? Wow, way to go Sony. Confusion will abound for those of us not into modern gaming.

Actually, theres a "PS" and a "PS One"... I'm not even sure anything was officially labeled "PS1" until the PS2 came out and everyone talking about the original version decided they should start calling "the previous version before the PS2" something besides "PS".

I think the same phenomenon occurred around discussions about the "Radio Shack TRS-80" after the "Model II" and more significantly, the "Model III" were put into use. The evolutionary models of the Genesis and SNES also acquired after-thought handles like that (although the original NES somehow differentiated into Toaster and Top-loader).

There are lots of examples of this such as the Apple II, World War II, and even Exidy's Pepper II (WAIT! I can't find my Pepper I! or maybe it's called Exidy Pepper, or maybe just "P")...

I seem to remember calling the Playstation PSX when it was new. I never put any real effort into finding out why it was shortened the way it was, though. It certainly wasn't the PS1. the PSOne came out alongside the PS2, so the name actually made sense to differentiate at that point.

I seem to remember calling the Playstation PSX when it was new. I never put any real effort into finding out why it was shortened the way it was, though. It certainly wasn't the PS1. the PSOne came out alongside the PS2, so the name actually made sense to differentiate at that point.

im not sure why it was either, but to make it even more confusing, Sony released a console called the PSX in Japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28video_game_console%29

Ah, from the Wiki citation:

1. PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[1] The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony Of Japan ignored Sony of America's decision and introduced its PSX digital video recorder in 2003.

Ah, from the Wiki citation:

1. PS-X (PlayStation Experimental) was an internal code name for the PlayStation during development.[1] The popular use of the "PSX" abbreviation outside Sony became a source of confusion when Sony Of Japan ignored Sony of America's decision and introduced its PSX digital video recorder in 2003.

that makes sense. i remember calling it a PSX too and had no idea why either. :)