IGNORED

Defender of the Crown for Intellivision 2016

Which one of those eight games was Defender of the Crown? Oh, that's right: none.

Do you know what "vaporware" means? This game has been in development for how long? How did your Kickstarter fare?

This project is a failure ever if it ever actually surfaces.

How long has it been in development? On my watch, about 10 months. I don't know how long it was worked on before Arnauld quit. That was before I was involved.

The game laid dormant for years. Why did Arnauld quit? He cited work as the main reason. So, really, it wasn't 'in development' at all for a long long time.

Since then we've got an advanced cartridge with tons of storage, ram and flash memory that will make the game easier to pull off.

I guess you weren't following along about the kickstarter. There wasn't one. So, it didn't fare well or poorly. It didn't happen.

The idea behind the possible kickstarter was to get enough money together to hire a programmer full time to do it. However, as already said, it never happened, so it didn't 'fail'.

We thought we had secured a couple of programmers in the past to finish the game, but no work was ever done. Demo carts were sold which paid for the graphic artist to put together the new packaging. We now have a programmer. Programming has been ongoing. Cinemaware is still behind us. When it comes out it will be sold. I've not taken any money. We said we would do Boulder Dash two years ago and we did it. So, it shows we don't mess around. I wasn't going to talk about the game until it was done, but we had such great intellivision art, that we wanted to show it. Since we ARE programming the game, and this isn't 'pie in the sky' I thought I'd let people know about it.

So, you've got no reason to troll me unless you just like to cause trouble. Which from watching you troll the Intellivisionaries leads me to believe that is the case.

• Like 3

Looking forward to playing this classic game on my Intellivision!

I have no wish to be rude or to take this off topic, but I don't understand this. First you troll William about how long DotC has been in development, and about a Kickstarter campaign that never actually happened. Then you come back with this, which not only contradicts what you said only a few posts ago, but is so non-specific that it could have been posted anywhere.

In fact, all of your most recent posts in the Intellivision forum have been similarly robotic non-sequiturs:

Awesome news...thanks for posting.

Great points, everyone!

Wonderful thread idea, Intellfan. Just the best!

Hungry Hungry Hippos!

Great post, nurmix.

... and so on. I get the impression that you're a robot, or that you're just posting fodder in an effort to boost your post count.

• Like 2

I have no wish to be rude or to take this off topic, but I don't understand this. First you troll William about how long DotC has been in development, and about a Kickstarter campaign that never actually happened. Then you come back with this, which not only contradicts what you said only a few posts ago, but is so non-specific that it could have been posted anywhere.

In fact, all of your most recent posts in the Intellivision forum have been similarly robotic non-sequiturs:

... and so on. I get the impression that you're a robot, or that you're just posting fodder in an effort to boost your post count.

I think we actually have a spam posting thread called 'Song Game' [ducks, 'cause I started it]

• Like 2

Do you think that the C64 fight could be improved?

I agree that the C64 version had the best gameplay, but the GBA release of the game does a very nice job of combining the positive elements of the various versions and putting them into one package. After playing many versions of this game, I generally consider the GBA version to be the best. BUT the fighting could be improved. I think conceptually one could take a page out of the sword fighting mechanic used in the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates. This has a sort of rock/scissors/paper feel to it that is more fair than what DotC does. Basically you are asked to choose a sword which has 2 stats balanced against each other - speed and power. A faster sword means you have more time to react and counter or parry the computer's attacks of which there are only 3 (up/down/mid). A slower sword does more damage, but you have less time to react.

I think we actually have a spam posting thread called 'Song Game' [ducks, 'cause I started it]

Do you think it´s a "spam" posting thread ?!?!? Yes, I know, it´s off the Intellivision / Aquarius main topic, but...

I think everyone should try to find connections with the Intellivision world (to be honest, I did it only once, when I suggest the relationship between the song "Hall of the mountain king" by the rock band Savatage and King of the Mountain for Intellivision)

• Like 1

Do you think that the C64 fight could be improved?

I agree that the C64 version had the best gameplay, but the GBA release of the game does a very nice job of combining the positive elements of the various versions and putting them into one package. After playing many versions of this game, I generally consider the GBA version to be the best. BUT the fighting could be improved. I think conceptually one could take a page out of the sword fighting mechanic used in the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates. This has a sort of rock/scissors/paper feel to it that is more fair than what DotC does. Basically you are asked to choose a sword which has 2 stats balanced against each other - speed and power. A faster sword means you have more time to react and counter or parry the computer's attacks of which there are only 3 (up/down/mid). A slower sword does more damage, but you have less time to react.

You could also look to Knight Games for inspiration. ;-)

Edited by NumbThumb
  • Like 1

big-bang-theory-sarcasm-o.gif

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if the name of the programmer of DotC 2016 is publicly known or if it will be a surprise.

If it has been already written somewhere in the forum, please excuse me for my distraction.

I don't think that it's been announced who the current programmer is.

• 2 weeks later...

Are those really even related? It looks like a dinner conversation on one, and a conspiracy meeting on the other.

I think it‘s because of the layout. Maybe Jim Sachs used the Caravaggio painting (which is indeed a biblical supper scene) as an inspiration for his saboteurs picture.

defcrown-2.gif

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 2

Are those really even related? It looks like a dinner conversation on one, and a conspiracy meeting on the other.

Yes, you are right, but the position of the caracters is very similar. Nothing more than an inspiration, though, as Mike says.

Edited by intellivotion

Yes, you are right, but the position of the caracters is very similar. Nothing more than an inspiration, though, as Mike says.

dZ, I forget to point out that "I think" that the Caravaggio's painting could have been an inspiration for that image on DotC.

Personally I've never read or heard anything about it before.