IGNORED

Splatoon!

omegadot

I opened it up last night to play. It worked when inserted with no trouble. Buying discs for the Wii U remains enjoyable. I intended to play with my wife but ended up having to do the intro thing right away and then I ran into an online match since I didn't know what to expect when entering that area of the game's hub city. The match was quick and fun, just how I like it. The map was great. We got trounced (probably my fault) but I had fun. With a game that's basically an arena shooter I prefer maps that are designed that way. I'm less interested in maps that try very hard to be an alien installation or what not in an arena setting. I'm also fine with a small amount of tight maps. With shooters I typically only end up playing a small subset anyhow since I'm really there to play against other people using the games mechanics vice see different sights. I could see that not being everyone's cup of tea.

We did finally play 2 1 v 1 matches but since I have about a billion more hours of FPS / TPS time and she wasn't familiar with the controls it ended up not being that much fun. She found the addition of the swimming mechanic to an already slightly alien concept a bit hard to drop into so we switched to Mario Kart. I offered to have her go through the tutorial but we wanted to just get to some kids free game time. I was disappointed to see nothing but the 1 v 1 for local multiplayer, myself. It's the only part of the game that felt very thin. I did check the in-game manual and it confirmed that as our only option.

The game definitely feels like someone wanted to play it so they made it. I find it very endearing and a heck of a lot of fun. I would just love to see more local multiplayer content or it won't see as much play as it deserves here. Anyone else pick it up?

I didn't and likely won't do anything with the Amiibo stuff anytime soon.

Just put some more time in online and man am I having fun. Since the combat is over a shared resource that is taken back rapidly there is a lot of tension right up to the end. Other similar games often have me running around or stalking something to go after but in Splatoon it's both all around you an easily accessible since you can jump to your teammates.

The lack of more local multiplayer and a reliance on DLC style releases that will be lost to time if not sold in a GotY Edition sort of manner is a real shame.

The mini game during loading is sorta odd but I get into games so quickly I've hardly touched it.

I finally had time to play Splatoon tonight and was extremely disappointed that I couldn't keep a stable online connection. Out of 6 games, I lost connection to 3 of them mid game. I ended up turning it off out of frustration.

The issue definitely isn't my network connectivity. Other games aren't having issues, just this one. I'll try it again over the weekend.

I finally had time to play Splatoon tonight and was extremely disappointed that I couldn't keep a stable online connection. Out of 6 games, I lost connection to 3 of them mid game. I ended up turning it off out of frustration.

The issue definitely isn't my network connectivity. Other games aren't having issues, just this one. I'll try it again over the weekend.

Today has been a bit flaky. It's not been like this since the Test Fire a couple of weeks back.

I played again two nights ago and got dropped from the two games we were going to win. It was frustrating...

• 1 month later...

Just played a few rounds for the first time in a bit. Had an absolute blast. They've continued to unlock maps and add items. I'm nothing but impressed.

My daughter is hooked on Splatoon and now and then I'll have a go at it. It is great fun. First unique FPS I've seen in ages. The variety of weapons and powers is good, the levels are well designed, and controls are rock solid.

Definitely don't game online via WiFi. Get the USB to Ethernet adaptor for the Wii, works great also for the Wii u. I've not been dropped from an online match since.

I actually just used a Belkin adaptor I had from my Pi and it worked well. It was just something I'd picked up for 20 bucks (so not like some steal of a purchase) a while back so I was happy it worked.

EDIT: oh, I already posted that here. Well, in case you just REALLY WANTED TO KNOW.

Edited by omegadot

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the digital download. It's a pretty good game; hip yet child-friendly, intense yet approachable. It's tons of fun to lay paint across the stages, and I even managed to pick off a few rival squids! There's no greater rush than taking out one of those paint roller jerks... they are the worst.

People complain that there's no voice chat, but believe me, I don't want that. I really don't need to be screamed at and hear how much I suck. I enjoy the game a lot more without it... there's less pressure and stress that way.

People complain that there's no voice chat, but believe me, I don't want that. I really don't need to be screamed at and hear how much I suck. I enjoy the game a lot more without it... there's less pressure and stress that way.

this.jpg

Voice chat is only good when you have a full group of friends to play with. Otherwise its usually obnoxious at best and offensive at worst. I played a game of Battlefield 4 the other day during which someone had their mic open and there was a child screaming in the background for the entire match.

• Like 1

I saw a large list of DLC for the game on one wiki. Is all of that free or are they nickel and diming it? (They didn't say on the wiki, but seemed to hint it was all free so far.)

I'm not sure, but I haven't paid for a single thing. All of the updates I've seen so far have been automatic and free. There may be things out there I haven't seen yet.

• 3 months later...

This game actually got me to come back to Nintendo consoles. It really is a ton of fun. Fun....something Battlefront could learn a thing or two about ;).

I'm not entirely sure how to do this (still new to the console), but if you want to add me sometime friends list wise, it might be fun to play some matches online.

Speaking of which, I do worry about this game's longevity. They already announced the game won't get any more new content past January. And Nintendo has taken server support down from many online games in the past, before users were done using them (like Mario Kart's). Considering this is basically an online only game, how long do you think we have before our games are useless coasters? I love the thing to death, but I have a weird feeling that when Nintendo's new system is pushed to market next year, they'll turn off server support on online games for the Wii U, like this game and Smash.

This game actually got me to come back to Nintendo consoles. It really is a ton of fun. Fun....something Battlefront could learn a thing or two about ;).

I'm not entirely sure how to do this (still new to the console), but if you want to add me sometime friends list wise, it might be fun to play some matches online.

Speaking of which, I do worry about this game's longevity. They already announced the game won't get any more new content past January. And Nintendo has taken server support down from many online games in the past, before users were done using them (like Mario Kart's). Considering this is basically an online only game, how long do you think we have before our games are useless coasters? I love the thing to death, but I have a weird feeling that when Nintendo's new system is pushed to market next year, they'll turn off server support on online games for the Wii U, like this game and Smash.

Wii U and Splatoon were both big Black Friday sellers. There is a push to make this game a E sport. And the fan base is passionate. If Nintendo decided to do paid DLC I honestly would not mind. I have played over 500 hours so I have gotten my monies worth. If paid DLC means keeping the servers up I'm OK with it.

BTW my Miiverse ID is https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/fubar-of-paFriend me and let's splat the world together!

I finally circled back to it as a daily play. It's probably my favorite online 'shooter' since Counter-Strike. I found CS to be less a focus on shooting and more on position and strategy and economics of the buy system. That's even more a case for Splatoon. The dynamic of different kits + paint + paths + skill is just outstanding. The fact that it's wildly appropriate for basically anyone walking by is a bonus.

Now if they'd cut the need to watch the irritating video every time, that'd be greeeaaaaatttt.

• Like 1

I finally circled back to it as a daily play. It's probably my favorite online 'shooter' since Counter-Strike. I found CS to be less a focus on shooting and more on position and strategy and economics of the buy system. That's even more a case for Splatoon. The dynamic of different kits + paint + paths + skill is just outstanding. The fact that it's wildly appropriate for basically anyone walking by is a bonus.

Now if they'd cut the need to watch the irritating video every time, that'd be greeeaaaaatttt.

Yeah, that bothers me, too. I don't need to know what levels are available. I'll figure that out either way...

Is that what the c'mon means? I thought it was like a rally call, to get people to do better.

I've been encountering a lot of reverse-cheaters recently. IE: People who want to lose. There was a guy I was stuck with for 5 games, and despite us winning most of them, all he would do was jump around home base, not shooting a dang thing. I even tried shooting at him, and eventually he'd start moving out, but just let himself get shot down without putting up a fight.

I don't understand this behavior. It can't be fun to just jump around, and there's no benefit to losing, gear-wise. I don't get it.