IGNORED

the secret government waffle project

I think you could have a story with the government made the waffles with mind controlling ingredients. But you would have to change the ending from saying your dead if you had a storyline like that. With this story you could use the jam instead of a fork and say strawberry jam has a natural ingredient that counteracts with the waffles allowing you to eat them. That is of course until you run out of jam 10 seconds later. But with that i would switch red and green shirts so red was when you had jam. If you are commander kellog your uniform should be green anyway. Just some ideas. Take em or leave em. :)

Also, instead of just "you're dead", have three lives. The home page mentions the morbid thought of the family killing themselves if you died, instead, put three different face faces along the top beside the score to represent wife, son, daughter, maybe cat and dog and fish can be added as extra lives if you catch them coming out of the machine. As you lose a life, replace the family member with a waffle.

Also, instead of just "you're dead", have three lives. The home page mentions the morbid thought of the family killing themselves if you died, instead, put three different face faces along the top beside the score to represent wife, son, daughter, maybe cat and dog and fish can be added as extra lives if you catch them coming out of the machine. As you lose a life, replace the family member with a waffle.

i think three lives would make it too easy. And i wouldnt want the difficulty compensated to be so hard i cant enjoy it.

i think three lives would make it too easy. And i wouldnt want the difficulty compensated to be so hard i cant enjoy it.

I don't think the three lives would make it too easy if new things and challenges kept showing up. I guess it depends on what kind of games you enjoy. I dislike games like Flappy Bird that are too simple. Flappy would interest me more if I was rewarded for getting further than before. If Flappy Bird changed to night after 100 points or winter like GoatNom does, then I would have incentive to play it. It gets at my desire for "just one more game, I want to see what's next..."

In a game like this, I feel like I should be able to move forward and backward as well as up and down. More things can appear as you last longer, maybe grates on the floor that sometime open so you may fall in. Maybe you have no lives but you rescue members of the family as they are ejected from the machine.

I understand that not every game has to be elaborate, but this isn't 1979 where we are fighting against 2k cart sizes and IntyBasic makes it so easy to do things in minutes that would have taken people weeks to do in the old days.

I don't think the three lives would make it too easy if new things and challenges kept showing up. I guess it depends on what kind of games you enjoy. I dislike games like Flappy Bird that are too simple. Flappy would interest me more if I was rewarded for getting further than before. If Flappy Bird changed to night after 100 points or winter like GoatNom does, then I would have incentive to play it. It gets at my desire for "just one more game, I want to see what's next..."

In a game like this, I feel like I should be able to move forward and backward as well as up and down. More things can appear as you last longer, maybe grates on the floor that sometime open so you may fall in. Maybe you have no lives but you rescue members of the family as they are ejected from the machine.

I understand that not every game has to be elaborate, but this isn't 1979 where we are fighting against 2k cart sizes and IntyBasic makes it so easy to do things in minutes that would have taken people weeks to do in the old days.

Hear! Hear! This is what I meant by transforming the game from a forgettable simple one-shot, into a re-playable classic.

-dZ.

Hear! Hear! This is what I meant by transforming the game from a forgettable simple one-shot, into a re-playable classic.

-dZ.

not everybody can make a christmas carol! ;) i actually do enjoy this as an avoid em game over a catch em. I prefer games i can play and put down at anytime. I dont have the desire to play complicated long games anymore. (ie: ad&d) Edited by pimpmaul69

I tried to make the guy move left and right and was successful. What I am unsuccessful at though is diagonal movements. I was successful in programming in diagonal movement with the keypad, but not the joystick. But I doubt many (if any) games put the movement with the keypad and not the joystick (i.e. pressing "2" makes the player go up). What I did to make the player go vertical was this:

argh=cont1

if (argh=4) OR (argh=$0c) OR (argh=$14) THEN (guy goes up)

if (argh=1) OR (argh=$03) OR (argh=$11) THEN (guy goes down)

But when I added the code from GoSub in for left and right, then used the controller program to map the diagonal movements in the program, the guy couldn't stop going right.

I am hoping to get some help with the diagonal movement using the joystick.

sgwp.bas

I tried to make the guy move left and right and was successful. What I am unsuccessful at though is diagonal movements. I was successful in programming in diagonal movement with the keypad, but not the joystick. But I doubt many (if any) games put the movement with the keypad and not the joystick (i.e. pressing "2" makes the player go up). What I did to make the player go vertical was this:

argh=cont1

But when I added the code from GoSub in for left and right, then used the controller program to map the diagonal movements in the program, the guy couldn't stop going right.

personally i prefer only up and down. I think left and right makes it too easy. If you do keep it i would do like gradius does. When you press back it is slower. Otherwise you could escape any jam youre in

not everybody can make a christmas carol! ;) i actually do enjoy this as an avoid em game over a catch em. I prefer games i can play and put down at anytime. I dont have the desire to play complicated long games anymore. (ie: ad&d)

What I meant is something like GoSub or Goat Nom: a simple game that has enough depth and dimension to keep you going and come back to it. Not a play-it-once-and-drop-it thing. It just takes a bit more effort.

-dZ.

What I meant is something like GoSub or Goat Nom: a simple game that has enough depth and dimension to keep you going and come back to it. Not a play-it-once-and-drop-it thing. It just takes a bit more effort.

-dZ.

just harrassing you about christmas carol which i play more than any game

personally i prefer only up and down. I think left and right makes it too easy. If you do keep it i would do like gradius does. When you press back it is slower. Otherwise you could escape any jam youre in

That's why I suggested obstacles like a grate on the floor, this way you aren't just contending with the waffles. Maybe random wooden crates can be strewn around. The other thing to remember is, it doesn't have to be one way or the other (Flappy Bird vs Ad&d)

Have a menu:

1-Rescue

A longer, evolving set of levels/challenges, changing backgrounds, crates/grates/pancakes/pop tarts etc.

2-Endurance

Current form, twitch until you die, not grates/no crates/no lives

3-Options

# of family members

Starting speed

restrict to up/down

Having 1 and 2 in the same game is trivial since you are using the same code for most of the work

argh=cont1

I'll look later tonight, but I'd never use the key pad for movement with an action game like this, only use the keypad for the standard pause function. You are seeing the keyboard matrix issues that have been discussed over and over.

Fixed the squiggles in the corners

Fixed the controller diagonals (not the true proper way, but just treating like an 8 way)

Added a debug_mode. Press up/down/left/right or diagonals to see the direction pressed on the title screen. look at the code to see the actual CONT codes.

Added Play Simple near the top to get music working on IntyBasic 1.04.

Upgrade your version of IntyBasic, you have to be using an older version or you wouldn't get music without the added Play Simple (You could also use Play Full to use all channels). You are missing out on a bunch of new features.

sgwp.bas

• Like 1

OK, I'm back working on this again since I finally got everything figured out. Changes:

- The guy's head no longer flickers when he moves.

- Hope you like crunchy waffles! When you eat a waffle, a "crunch" sound happens.

Changes to the website:

- Added a YouTube video

- Added the .cfg to download.

• Like 1

OK, I'm back working on this again since I finally got everything figured out. Changes:

- Hope you like crunchy waffles! When you eat a waffle, a "crunch" sound happens.

Changes to the website:

- Added a YouTube video

You can use the --title "your title" command line option when you invoke IntyBASIC, this way you can change the "IntyBASIC program" text that appears in jzintv.

i agree. i think jam should stop them . syrup should slow them down. havent thought of what could replace the bomb. maybe bacon?

jam.png jam2.png syrup.png syrup2.png bacon.png bacon2.png

For the love of all that is holy, please add bacon. Then you'll have a hit on your hands. Us Inty folk like us some bacon.

the newest version is messed up and unplayable. without the .cfg it has a black screen. with the .cfg you cant get past the title screen or restart unless you press the #5 key. once playing the character is impossible to move around he gets stuck when you try to move him.

Edited by pimpmaul69

Changes to the website:

- Added a YouTube video

I just checked this version and below are my comments:

• Pressing the button no longer starts the game. You must press the #5 key on the keypad. I would recommend making any key start the game, unless you are going to offer multiple difficulty levels.
  • I like the new ability of moving side-ways, it feels more natural.
  • The animation of the kid, although only two frames, is now smooth and accurate.
  • I like the animation of the Waffle Making Device (WMD, geddit? :lol:), it adds depth to the play-field.
  • I like that I can tell now when the Fork Of Power ability is running out, by the changes in the kid's shirt colour.
  • I agree with other posts that the Snail and Bomb do not really fit the game. It would be more a propos to replace them with Syrup (slow) and Jam (blast), respectively. Besides, the Snail always looks to me like a slice of lime. (At first I thought, "Lime on waffles? WTF?! Ewww!")
  • After a while of playing, it becomes a bit tedious since there are no more new items and the waffle speed does not change much, if at all. Perhaps you could have different levels to break the monotony.
  • On game-over, I must press the #5 key on the keypad to go back to the title screen. I would recommend changing this to a disc press, which is more conventional.
  • Oh, and add some bacon! :)

That's my feedback so far. I managed to get a high score of 298, not too shabby. :)

post-27318-0-31587500-1433595435_thumb.gif

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I just checked this version and below are my comments:

• Pressing the button no longer starts the game. You must press the #5 key on the keypad. I would recommend making any key start the game, unless you are going to offer multiple difficulty levels.
  • I like the new ability of moving side-ways, it feels more natural.
  • The animation of the kid, although only two frames, is now smooth and accurate.
  • I like the animation of the Waffle Making Device (WMD, geddit? :lol:), it adds depth to the play-field.
  • I like that I can tell now when the Fork Of Power ability is running out, by the changes in the kid's shirt colour.
  • I agree with other posts that the Snail and Bomb do not really fit the game. It would be more a propos to replace them with Syrup (slow) and Jam (blast), respectively. Besides, the Snail always looks to me like a slice of lime. (At first I thought, "Lime on waffles? WTF?! Ewww!")
  • After a while of playing, it becomes a bit tedious since there are no more new items and the waffle speed does not change much, if at all. Perhaps you could have different levels to break the monotony.
  • On game-over, I must press the #5 key on the keypad to go back to the title screen. I would recommend changing this to a disc press, which is more conventional.
  • Oh, and add some bacon! :)
That's my feedback so far. I managed to get a high score of 298, not too shabby. :)

shot0001.gif

-dZ.

how did you play? I did it on jzintv with an intellivision controller and the controls were a jittery freezing mess. Impossible to play. It seems not all the 16 directions arent implemented properly. Edited by pimpmaul69

how did you play? I did it on jzintv with an intellivision controller and the controls were a jittery freezing mess. Impossible to play. It seems not all the 16 directions arent implemented properly.

A few posts up you'll see I provided a quick solution to his query about diagonals since he was having issues figuring it out. I threw in some quick code to illustrate reading diagonals but mentioned that it wasn't the proper way to handle 16 positions but does work well enough in some other things I have done and tested on a real Intellivision. I misplaced my sd card reader, once I find it I'll try it on a real console later today.

The proper way requires some smarts to deal with jitter between minor left/right motions of the disc.

New version:

- reverted back to the fire button to start a new game.

- replaced the snail and bomb icons with syrup and jam. Since there doesn't appear to be a BROWN color in the INTV palette, I had to go with an icky green color for the syrup. They can't have brown, yet you can choose from several icky green colors? The syrup slows them down and the jam gets rid of all the waffles on the screen.

Questions:
- Can you get the controllers out of an INTV 2? Or are they hardwired in? I was going to see about getting an INTV controller to USB port thing like I did with my NES controller, but there wouldn't be any point if I can't.