IGNORED

the secret government waffle project

This does still happen occasionally

post-38229-0-36559400-1433736180_thumb.gif

Again I made assumptions that when the waffles exited on the left that they reappeared at the same point inside the machine, except they don't,

When a bomb goes off and kills all waffles you are putting the waffle1x to a different x location...240, instead of the 170 when it exits normally.

I think I was able to fit the new title screen in, but I have a question. It takes up a lot of room since it's only at the bottom half, so there's a bunch of $0000s. I was wondering if there was a way to cut them all out and make the screen start lower (my title screen is kind of like the mst3k pic you put up, it's mostly at the bottom.)

I think I was able to fit the new title screen in, but I have a question. It takes up a lot of room since it's only at the bottom half, so there's a bunch of $0000s. I was wondering if there was a way to cut them all out and make the screen start lower (my title screen is kind of like the mst3k pic you put up, it's mostly at the bottom.)

According to the top secret document "manual.txt":

SCREEN label[,origin_offset,target_offset,cols,rows]

Allows to copy screen data to video the fastest way. Using only "SCREEN label"

copies a full screen 20x12 cards to video.

'label' points to a label inside your program containing the data for the

screen, similar to this:

my_screen:

DATA $0007,$000F,$0007,$000F ' And so...

origin_offset is the offset (0-199) inside the origin screen

target_offset is the offset (0-199) inside the target video screen.

cols is the size in columns of your copy.

rows is the size in rows of your copy.

This can serve to displace large elements in video, or to display beautiful

graphics screens.

So, currently your code has this line:

SCREEN titlescreen_cards

If you removed one row (20 numbers) from the titlescreen_cards table, you would change that line to:

SCREEN titlescreen_cards,0,20,20,11

If you removed two rows (40 numbers) from the titlescreen_cards table, you would change that line to:

SCREEN titlescreen_cards,0,40,20,10

In general, if you remove N * 20 numbers from the titlescreen_cards table, you would change the line to:

SCREEN titlescreen_cards,0,20 * N,20,12-N

Does this help?

Catsfolly

P.S. you'll need to do a "CLS" command first to clear out the top part of the screen...

Edited by catsfolly

I played the latest version and here's my bug report:

• Bacon looks decidedly un-bacony: the red strips are not parallel, one goes up and the other down and looks like a pointy arrow. Arrows are not very tasty or smokey.
  • When you eat the Jam, the waffles on the screen do not disappear, they just freeze in place for a few seconds and then they disappear. This looks weird.
  • I'm not very fond of the title screen. I know it's supposed to look futuristic, like a TRON play-field, but it just looks like the grill of an oven. Unless, that's what you were going for, but who cooks their waffles in the oven?

That's it. I still recommend adding some sort of progression with missions or something to break the monotony.

-dZ.

I played the latest version and here's my bug report:

• Bacon looks decidedly un-bacony: the red strips are not parallel, one goes up and the other down and looks like a pointy arrow. Arrows are not very tasty or smokey.
  • When you eat the Jam, the waffles on the screen do not disappear, they just freeze in place for a few seconds and then they disappear. This looks weird.
  • I'm not very fond of the title screen. I know it's supposed to look futuristic, like a TRON play-field, but it just looks like the grill of an oven. Unless, that's what you were going for, but who cooks their waffles in the oven?

That's it. I still recommend adding some sort of progression with missions or something to break the monotony.

-dZ.

The Bomb procedure is not repositioning the sprites, only the waffle1x value

bomb:  procedure
if waffle1x<150 then waffle1x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore 
if waffle2x<150 then waffle2x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore 
if waffle3x<150 then waffle3x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore
if waffle4x<150 then waffle4x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore
if waffle5x<150 then waffle5x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore 
powerupeffect=8
return
end

Instead it should be:

bomb:  procedure
if waffle1x<150 then waffle1x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore : sprite 2,waffle1x+$300,20+$100,(256+whichwaffle1)*8+$1002 +MB_A_PRIO
if waffle2x<150 then waffle2x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore : sprite 3,waffle2x+$300,20+$100,(256+whichwaffle2)*8+$1002 +MB_A_PRIO
if waffle3x<150 then waffle3x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore : sprite 4,waffle3x+$300,20+$100,(256+whichwaffle3)*8+$1002 +MB_A_PRIO
if waffle4x<150 then waffle4x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore : sprite 5,waffle4x+$300,20+$100,(256+whichwaffle4)*8+$1002 +MB_A_PRIO
if waffle5x<150 then waffle5x=170 : #score=#score+1 : gosub writescore : sprite 6,waffle5x+$300,20+$100,(256+whichwaffle5)*8+$1002 +MB_A_PRIO
rem Also 150 may need to be changed to 160 or 165

powerupeffect=8
Rem Return not needed
end

I'm not sure what your definition of a "lot of room" is because ROM space is NOT an issue and having several blank lines as part of the screen cards is affecting nothing. In fact, replace the text with a more graphical logo that is part of the screen cards.

what is the pixel size and other limitations for the title card?

That would depend on how efficient the current version is. The screen itself is 160x96. It looks like the diagonal lines uses 25 cards of 64. He is using upper numbered ones for sprites, so you probably have about 20 to 30 unique cards left over.

That would depend on how efficient the current version is. The screen itself is 160x96. It looks like the diagonal lines uses 25 cards of 64. He is using upper numbered ones for sprites, so you probably have about 20 to 30 unique cards left over.

so how doable is this?

screen7.bmp

post-30773-0-04036600-1433804277.png

or a simpler one maybe?

screen6.bmp

post-30773-0-58469600-1433804657.png

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

It seems like I can't get anything done past the title screen I have now. I tried a more complex one (a very simplified folder version, only the folder's cover) and the game's sprites were all off.

So I guess if anyone has a better title screen idea, just design the bottom third of it and try to make it as simple as possible.

so how doable is this?

attachicon.gifscreen7.bmp

attachicon.gifscreen7.png

For starters, and for simplicity sake, make sure you only have two colors per 8x8 grid, this screen is very doable with some tweaks

Your first problem is the grey horizontal lines in the second row. add some more so the orange of the folder doesnt appear.

post-38229-0-56989600-1433804393_thumb.png

And use this color map

colors_reference.bmp

what graphic tool are you using?

For starters, and for simplicity sake, make sure you only have two colors per 8x8 grid, this screen is very doable with some tweaks

Your first problem is the grey horizontal lines in the second row. add some more so the orange of the folder doesnt appear.

attachicon.giftitleproblem.png

And use this color map

attachicon.gifcolors_reference.bmp

what graphic tool are you using?

im straight old school. microsoft paint. i do everything by hand. even the fonts i designed myself specifically for this. if i had a dollar for every font i designed over the years but didnt keep.... :)

im straight old school. microsoft paint. i do everything by hand. even the fonts i designed myself specifically for this. if i had a dollar for every font i designed over the years but didnt keep.... :)

Well at least use a free tool that has layers. Get Paint.Net and download the grid/checkerboard plugin, having a second layer with an 8 by 8 grid makes doing this so much easier. Layers also make adding third color via MOBs easier because you can put them in a third layer, then only export that to IntyColor

Have a look at this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230146-intycolor-tutorial/

Edited by Tarzilla

so how about now?

attachicon.gifscreen 8.png

Closer, but uglier :-)

post-38229-0-60996000-1433807712_thumb.png

post-38229-0-47181300-1433807711_thumb.png

This compiles with IntyColor and uses 60 cards. We need two more for the orange MOBs to handle the paper edges.

There is probably room for lowing the card numbers but this would work.

Here is the layered Paint.net file.

titleproblem2a.zip

Edited by Tarzilla

Closer, but uglier :-)

titleproblem2a-example.png

titleproblem2b-example.png

This compiles with IntyColor and uses 60 cards. We need two more for the orange MOBs to handle the paper edges.

There is probably room for lowing the card numbers but this would work.

Here is the layered Paint.net file.

titleproblem2a.zip

did you try the pic from my last post?