IGNORED

Display is all stuffed up on MAME .66 - DOS

Sharky

I have a Pentuim 2 with Windows Me installed, and ive got all versions of MAME .66 (DOS and Windows).

The good thing I like about the DOS version is that its quite faster and you get more frame rate, so I wanna use it.

But my PC doesnt like DOS because its all over the place and flickering when I use DOS Based Program (It does the same to other DOS-Based Emulators too). But some I managed to change the resolution from 320x200 to 320x240 and it was perfect.

But on MAME (DOS) I believe its a resolution problem and I cant seem to change it, Ill tried editing Mame.cfg file everywhere but no luck...

Anyone know or is this just Windows Me? :?

Just an observation...doesn't WinME run Dos programs via "emulation" (for lack of a better word).  Therefore, wouldn't you lose the speed advantage running a Dos app on that platform?

Translation: "Windows ME sucks ass"... :D

Just an observation...doesn't WinME run Dos programs via "emulation" (for lack of a better word).  Therefore, wouldn't you lose the speed advantage running a Dos app on that platform?

Thats what I thought, but im not sure upgrading the MAME versions have caused the slowness or its my full-on system performance as I havent reinstall windows or 7 or 8 months now.

Even Space Invaders and Pac-Man dont run at 100% frame-rate anymore using MAME Windows. But MAME DOS, Im getting at least a 20% more increase in Games. Thats why I was trying to use it...

:(

ive been usin xp for a while now, although you will find a lot of ppl slagging it off i like it. its very stable, it is better for dos than most ppl will lead you to believe, but for full backwards compatibility purposes i've got a dual-boot of xp and 98

and after usin me for far too long i can honestly say w98 is a lot lot better than me

Hm...it seems that my post was incorrect if you ARE getting better performance with some games :P  Have you tried using command-line switches to turn off some features (like -nohwstretch, etc.)?  Perhaps forcing the display might help :?

That what I wanted to do was play around with the Command switch options, but when i go to the DOS box and type dmame.exe - showusage, the options come up so far and scrolls right now thats all the commands arnt big enough to display in the DOS box.

It also says see Readme.txt for help, but stangely MAMEDOS .66 doesnt come with a readme.txt file and the only thing I could do was to play around with the mame.cfg file. which I have. :ponder:

I just ran AdAware and it comes up with 21 Running Processes. So theres a lot of invisible programs running in my system right now and ive only got

39% System resources left.

Disconnecting from the Internet helps increase performance a bit and Opera 7 (My browser) is very resource hungry too.

I either got 2 choices. Examine my startup ini files manualy and tried to find those invisible programs or even examime my system restiry file to try to find those inbvisible programs. :|

Bit of a dangerous task but I thinking more of now., just backuping my Emulators, disk images, Roms, and Front-ends and Format my whole drive and find someone with a copy of Windows XP.

:|

She could set up a dual-boot system with WinME as well...http://www.mvps.org/dts/WinME_DOS/Win-ME.htm

I could go ahead and do that, but that also seems like a dangerous task as this would wanna edit your system files and just not sure if I should trust it. :ponder:

and after usin me for far too long i can honestly say w98 is a lot lot better than me

I gave up on Windows 98 so long ago, althought it was good after it was freshly installed.

But 3 times I had to reinstall that. And the same program used to come at startup.

something like "Explorer has caused a fault at adress $XXXXX or w/e" and then it would automatically shut down your computer. And since my PC turns itself off automatically it was a real Pain!! :x

WHat about Windows 2000 ? maybe :ponder:

True...but since you are thinking about reformatting/reinstalling as a solution, you might want to give it a try first (after backing up stuff). You never know until you try...you might surprise yourself :)

And Win2000 can't operate in a "pure dos" environment either...since it's NT

True...but since you are thinking about reformatting/reinstalling as a solution, you might want to give it a try first (after backing up stuff).  You never know until you try...you might surprise yourself :)

And Win2000 can't operate in a "pure dos" environment either...since it's NT

I guess thats true. Since ive got nothing to lose anyway. :D

Then after all that, I probably be back using MAME-Win since I would have a lot more system resources after the fresh reinstall.