IGNORED

Found a Magnavox CD-I for $2!

Allright I have a quick CDi question but don't want to start a whole new thread.

I am building my CDi library right now and am finding a lot of games are easier to find in Europe. I understand that the CDi is region free.

However, my question is this, if the games are region free, but released for the european market, does that mean that games I buy from europe could be designed for PAL TV's, and thus be the wrong resolution for an NTSC TV?

Can anyone answer this? Would love to buy stuff from across the pond but not if it will be wonky on my TV...

I actually have a PAL/NTSC switch on my CDi but I don't want to have to give it the reach-around everytime I switch games, would much rather have games that work from the get go on my TV.

THANKS!!

Allright I have a quick CDi question but don't want to start a whole new thread.

I am building my CDi library right now and am finding a lot of games are easier to find in Europe. I understand that the CDi is region free.

However, my question is this, if the games are region free, but released for the european market, does that mean that games I buy from europe could be designed for PAL TV's, and thus be the wrong resolution for an NTSC TV?

Can anyone answer this? Would love to buy stuff from across the pond but not if it will be wonky on my TV...

I actually have a PAL/NTSC switch on my CDi but I don't want to have to give it the reach-around everytime I switch games, would much rather have games that work from the get go on my TV.

THANKS!!

Philips claimed that all software for the cd-i that has the cd-i logo on the disk, should be able to use on any system regardless of the region. Until now i think the only game having trouble with it is family games 2.

I could supply you with a list of cd-i games i have for trade. Got a lot of spare games.

I've had a few Euro games and they played fine on my USA system.

I think every console has at least one good game for it. I've played a modern remake of Hotel Mario and was told it handles and plays exactly the same on the CD-I. I rather liked the game and spent some serious time on it.

Generally I agree with these sentiments. The question is though, at what point is that one game not worth the investment required to play it? That's the problem I see with the CD-I. An amazing score the OP had aside, it's generally not a cheap system to acquire and experience properly (i.e., acquiring a system, getting the appropriate accessories like a mouse, game pad and digital video cartridge; then factor in the cost of the games).

I actually like Hotel Mario. I think it's one of the better made games on the CD-I, FMV sequences aside. It plays well, looks good, sounds fine, and has personality. It runs smooth and actually feels like a genuine video game created by a group of individuals that actually knew what they were doing (something more than can be said for most of the library on the system).

• Like 3

I actually like Hotel Mario. I think it's one of the better made games on the CD-I, FMV sequences aside. It plays well, looks good, sounds fine, and has personality. It runs smooth and actually feels like a genuine video game created by a group of individuals that actually knew what they were doing (something more than can be said for most of the library on the system).

Whats Hotel Mario about? I've heard of the game over the years but never seen one or had the chance to try it.

• Like 1

The apprentice is faaaaar more superior to Hotel Mario. It feels and plays like those many 2d mid 90's PC games. In his category, it's the best CDi game.

I wouldn't say it is superior for the simple fact that the Apprentice is a different kind of game. It's more akin to traditional Euro platformers. Hotel Mario is more akin to single-screen arcade games of the '80s (and in some cases, early '90s). Both are worth checking out.

Oh it sure is, but, it's lacking. It plays rather good and is indeed a good arcade style platformer, but it's by no mean a showcase title. The graphics are only average for the CD-i (I'm not even counting the cutscenes) and it doesn't shine much in the sound departement either, from what I recall.

Oh it sure is, but, it's lacking. It plays rather good and is indeed a good arcade style platformer, but it's by no mean a showcase title. The graphics are only average for the CD-i (I'm not even counting the cutscenes) and it doesn't shine much in the sound departement either, from what I recall.

I wouldn't call either a "showcase" title. If Hotel Mario or the Apprentice were released on any other platform, they would have been seen as simply average. Just my opinion.