IGNORED

Game Suggestions for a NG Pocket Color virgin...

Thread title explains it all! :grin:

I just received a Neo Geo Pocket Color today in the mail and need some games to play. I have NO experience with this system at all, but I am familiar with SNK franchises as I do have an AES. Absolute must have games for the system? Absolute games to avoid? Feel free to give me your top (or bottom) 3. All your tips and tricks are also VERY much appreciated. Thanks all!

I didn't see an appropriate thread for this topic specifically, so I created a new one, but if the mods feel it should be in the general Neo Geo thread, please merge it and accept my apologies!

Pretty much any game apart from the gambling titles :P

Depending on what genres you like (and there's quite a few fighters), I'd say Card Fighter Clash, Metal Slug 2nd Mission, Dark Arms, Faselei, Match of the Millennium, Cotton, and Puzzle Bobble.

Thanks, Mayhem. I have heard a lot of positives regarding the Card Fighter Clash games. Also, how is the Sonic game? Is it the best platformer for the system? Is it the only platformer for the system??? ;) For handhelds, I also enjoy straight forward puzzle games. Besides Puzzle Bobble, any other "decent to great" puzzle games to pick up? Again, thanks for the quick reply.

I have this system, although not a great many games. I have played most of them through the magic of emulation, however, and can tell you that Sonic Pocket Adventure is a pretty good entry in the series. Don't expect Genesis quality graphics, but you do get Genesis quality speed and the same tight control. It was developed by Dimps, the guys who went on to make Sonic Advance (and a bunch of other more recent titles).

Sadly, I thought that Sonic Pocket was better than Sonic Advance.

Here's my short list of games to get:

Bust-a-Move Pocket
Dark Arms
Faselei!
Fatal Fury: First Contact
King of Fighters R-2
Metal Slug 1st Mission
Metal Slug 2nd Mission
Pac-Man
Samurai Shodown! 2
SNK v. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket

Hi guys,

Most of the NGPC games are very good and well worth the time/money to invest in them. I was just playing Neo 21 and Neo Baccarat just the other day and worth getting if you like gambling titles. If you have any specific questions. You're welcome to drop by my Neo-Geo thread or PM me.

But in general, I haven't come across a game for the Pocket Color game that I didn't like and the vast majority of the library are easily available to acquire

Anthony...

Most of the NGPC games are very good and well worth the time/money to invest in them. I was just playing Neo 21 and Neo Baccarat just the other day and worth getting if you like gambling titles. If you have any specific questions. You're welcome to drop by my Neo-Geo thread or PM me.

Or, he can ask the forum and not have to worry about just some private messaging or a spam-filled thread aka your private Neo Geo blog.

Or, he can ask the forum and not have to worry about just some private messaging or a spam-filled thread aka your private Neo Geo blog.

My thread is not spam filled. Its filled with helpful information to support the Neo-Geo community for past, present, and future gamers that are interested in the platform. People have benefited from the videos and enjoy them.

Anthony...

... For handhelds, I also enjoy straight forward puzzle games. Besides Puzzle Bobble, any other "decent to great" puzzle games to pick up? Again, thanks for the quick reply.

The NGPC has you covered with a tidy selection of quality puzzle games, friend. Puzzle Link 2 and Magical Drop Pocket are two of my favourites on the handheld (haven't played the original Puzzle Link, but it's probably worth your time in lieu of part 2), there's the totally solid Shanghai Mini if you're into tile matching & imports, and Puyo Pop is a perfectly competent version of the blobby puzzler classic. Puzzle Link 2 gets a full recommendation for being a pleasantly unique shootin'-from-the-bottom puzzler with the distinct honour of NGPC exclusivity. Other Japanese imports include Picture Puzzle (it's Picross), Delta Warp (cool tangram flipping thing) and Renketsu Puzzle Tsunagete Pon! (it's Puzzle Link).

Wow, I go away for the weekend and got some good replies! Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

I went ahead and picked up two different "4 Packs" from someone on Amazon for a total of 8 games in new condition. Many of these games were in the two "4 Pack" sets. So what is the deal with the "4 Packs?" Was this SNK's way of liquidating stock when they decided to pull the plug on the NGPC?

Also, does the Pac-Man cart contain anything extra besides the actual game? I love Pac-Man, but have it in multiple forms currently. If the NGPC cart has anything extra besides the base game, I would consider picking it up. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

My two favorites are:

• Picture Puzzle - a picross game. I can tell picross hits a special spot in my brain as I always dream about them for a few days after a I play one. It's not an entirely pleasant feeling at night, but while I'm playing it's hugely awesome.
  • Neo Geo Cup 98 - a soccer game which is far deeper than it really should be. I hate soccer, but I like the team-building, powerup collecting, super-fun, ngc98. IMO this one is better than the arcade original...but then again, I hate soccer so, yeah.

Other than that, blah blah, run-and-guns or fighters. They're all good and pretty much the same. Pick some of those and you'll be happy. RPG-like games are all pretty good too. Honestly, I just had a look through the 17 games I have for it and I don't think a single one of them is 'bad.' Not just 'not bad for the time' but a firm 'not bad in general.'

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Wow, I go away for the weekend and got some good replies! Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone.

I went ahead and picked up two different "4 Packs" from someone on Amazon for a total of 8 games in new condition. Many of these games were in the two "4 Pack" sets. So what is the deal with the "4 Packs?" Was this SNK's way of liquidating stock when they decided to pull the plug on the NGPC?

Also, does the Pac-Man cart contain anything extra besides the actual game? I love Pac-Man, but have it in multiple forms currently. If the NGPC cart has anything extra besides the base game, I would consider picking it up. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

As far as I know, it is JUST Pac-Man. A pretty good port, mind, but really nothing more than that. Pac-Man Arrangement on the Game Boy Advance offers a whole lot more and probably only costs a fraction of the price.

As the legend goes, SNK went all out with a marketing push for the Neo-Geo Pocket, getting it in big chain stores like Wal-Mart. However, when the business went bankrupt and was purchased by Aruze (boo!), the new management pulled all the games and systems from stores. I think some of the LCD displays went into Aruze's pachislot machines, but I KNOW the games and some systems were liquidated and sold online by small distributors. If memory serves, the packaging for these four packs doesn't even say "Neo-Geo Pocket" on the front, does it?

I would start collecting for the Neo-Geo Pocket, but I have enough video game crap as it is. The machine was really impressive in 1999, but I've moved on. I do wish Neo-Geo Pocket emulators for PCs and the PSP didn't look like mud, though. Turn off the bubble machine bilinear filtering!

As the legend goes, SNK went all out with a marketing push for the Neo-Geo Pocket, getting it in big chain stores like Wal-Mart. However, when the business went bankrupt and was purchased by Aruze (boo!), the new management pulled all the games and systems from stores.

The Barone Family that were in charged of SNK USA during the final years of the original SNK ruined them. They did a terrible job on launching the NGPC, and with the Americian division as well. They also did hardly anything to increase MVS profits and were just totally irresponsible on handling anything for SNK.

As for Aruze, SNk/P sued them for the intellectual copyrights after Aruze was refusing to release them back. They also did hardly anything for SNK to try to maximize profits of them and loss in a court case as well to SNK/P for a large sum of money!

Anthony...

Awesome. Aruze was absolutely MISERABLE with the SNK properties... I'm glad they were punished for it. I'm not totally in love with SNK Playmore, but they're worlds better than Aruze was.

Ditto. I'm not dissatisfied with SNK/P as of late. Yet, they could certainly improve.

Although they did manage to survive and lasted this long, and been following where the money leads like they been doing since they were established in 1978. They did mention that they increased their employee hiring after they turn a profit for 2014. Pachinko and mobile devices are were the money is for the company at the moment. I posted quite a few videos of both on the Neo-Geo thread that I have here if you or anyone else would like to few their latest versions! ;-)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224