IGNORED

If you could do a Jaguar dream project?

Rick Dangerous

Hindsight is 20/20, but they probably should have waited until autumn 1994 to launch anywhere. By then, they had T2K, Wolf 3D, AvP, and Doom. I think AvP would have made the best choice for a pack-in. It was like Doom, but it was exclusive to the system. I do recall violence in gaming being a major issue at the time, especially since I was 13 y/o in 1994. Pack-ins were also a big deal in that they added to the cost of the system, and if the console is received as a gift, one might be playing that one game for quite a while. I got the Jaguar for Christmas in '94, and I was stuck playing Cybermorph for weeks. No one should have to do that. (J/K) I can see where Atari would only want to produce and market one SKU, so perhaps they should have just ditched the whole concept of a pack-in game, and allowed the consumer to choose. Had anyone launched a console by then without a pack-in game?

Edited by KappaGuy99

Regarding Gauntlet 4 (which i found bloody fantastic)...whilst i'd personally not suggest it as a launch title, let alone the in-game pack, there def.was a 'place' for an enhanced version on the Jaguar, maybe bundled with the Jaguar Team Tap adaptor, as so few games seemed to use that.

White Men Can't Jump and NBA Jam Tournament Edition did, i think, but did anything else? (or were there even other planned games which would of used it?).

Bomber Man. Whatever version it was supposed to be. It was said last year the game was found… 8-player. Has the ROM been released yet?

• Like 1

Hindsight is 20/20, but they probably should have waited until autumn 1994 to launch anywhere. By then, they had T2K, Wolf 3D, AvP, and Doom. I think AvP would have made the best choice for a pack-in. It was like Doom, but it was exclusive to the system. I do recall violence in gaming being a major issue at the time, especially since I was 13 y/o in 1994. Pack-ins were also a big deal in that they added to the cost of the system, and if the console is received as a gift, one might be playing that one game for quite a while. I got the Jaguar for Christmas in '94, and I was stuck playing Cybermorph for weeks. No one should have to do that. (J/K) I can see where Atari would only want to produce and market one SKU, so perhaps they should have just ditched the whole concept of a pack-in game, and allowed the consumer to choose. Had anyone launched a console by then without a pack-in game?

Acknowledging your J/K, I bought the system Summer-ish 1994 and I loved Cybermorph. But I was hungry for a 2nd title. I was so close to buying Trevor McFur because the graphics were so cool looking. However, the rave reviews of Tempest 2000 sold me on that game.

Man did I dodge a bullet. I wouldn't have the money to buy another game for months. Between Cybermorph and Tempest 2000, I was pretty darn content. After that, the wait was on for Alien Vs. Predator (Wolfenstein 3D ended up being an unexpected game to tide me over).

/Schmüdde

• Like 2

I remember NES without pack-in, and Genesis. Neo Geo AES, if it counts.

Neo Geo AES counts, at least I think it counts.

NES and Genesis didn't launch without pack-ins however, at least not that I remember. NES had SMB/Duck Hunt and Sega had Altered Beast before Genesis if I recall correctly. Later, you could get both consoles without a game.

Acknowledging your J/K, I bought the system Summer-ish 1994 and I loved Cybermorph. But I was hungry for a 2nd title. I was so close to buying Trevor McFur because the graphics were so cool looking. However, the rave reviews of Tempest 2000 sold me on that game.

Man did I dodge a bullet. I wouldn't have the money to buy another game for months. Between Cybermorph and Tempest 2000, I was pretty darn content. After that, the wait was on for Alien Vs. Predator (Wolfenstein 3D ended up being an unexpected game to tide me over).

/Schmüdde

I didn't *hate* Cybermorph, in fact I liked it, but I did feel it was lacking something, and as more games came out, I find myself liking it less and less. Even Battlemorph was far better, IMHO. Thankfully I lived near a store that rented Jag games, they even rented Neo Geo games, and Lynx games too, back when Lynx was around. I rented Trevor McFur and that saved me some grief. Along with Kasumi Ninja. I almost bought those two.

I can't recall which one I bought first, Alien Vs Predator or Iron Soldier, but I was quite content with those two. Then came Dragon. I got Tempest 2000 later that summer ('95) along with Super Burnout.

After giving it more thought, I think Atari probably should have just launched with the core system and a controller.

I am pretty stoked for Business Is War to come out... I really can't wait for that chapter of Atari history.

@Lynxpro:Ahhh yes, Bomberman....supposedly done by Genetic Fantasia? one of the team previousily having worked for some gaming magazine or something?.

Claims i've briefly read are Atari had it developed with view of obtaining licensce from Hudson Soft once game was near as damnit finished, but events over took that plan, game indeed was nearly finished, but at this point Atari was dissapearing like snow before the sun and in face of the JTS deal, all plans to go after the licensce abandoned.
Any of that ring true?.
Never seen a single screenshot even, so if Rom has surfaced, i'd be interested to see what game is like.
I was rather partial to Bomberman on SNES, not so much so on MD, sadly never tried Saturn Bomberman (my loss).

@Felyx:Maybe a letter to Santa asking for Core design to update their Mega CD Jaguar XJ220 Game Engine for the Jaguar and getting them to do an Outrun-inspired game for Atari's tickbox/checklist of games wanted on Jaguar, was what we needed?.

I should of asked Santa to pop in a request that rather than port Soulstar, Core had brought us Battlecorps instead...

( I know there were claims of Thunderhawk being looked at as well, but doubt that got very far before going straight into PC CD/PS1/Saturn development instead.)

But maybe i was'nt a good boy that year?.

• Like 1

Think the fact i never saw Sega bring:

Power Drift, Galaxy Force 2, Outrun, Turbo Outrun etc to the Mega CD kind of spoke volumes that these were'nt (sadly) seen as flagship games for a system at that point in time.How ironic then they'd appear on numerous systems in the years after...

From the 'chats' i've had/continue to have with coders etc, Atari were'nt shy it seems in bringing round latest hardware to generate developer interest (STE/Falcon/Jaguar), it just seemed publishers wanted to stick with existing systems (as they were proven 'cash cows') whilst keeping a steady eye on what the big players had lined up, future hardware wise.

Atari simply seen as too much of a spent force.

Neo Geo AES counts, at least I think it counts.

NES and Genesis didn't launch without pack-ins however, at least not that I remember. NES had SMB/Duck Hunt and Sega had Altered Beast before Genesis if I recall correctly. Later, you could get both consoles without a game.

Apologies if I'm getting the 'wrong end of the stick', however, pretty sure most consoles launched without pack-ins tbh.

NES did:

-

jaquette_front.jpg

-

And Megadrive did too (albeit, less common than Sonic/A.Beast/SOR pack-ins [etc])

-

ab412130e8e311e4a152f3a122e9021b_big.jpg

-

SNES was also released as a solo only, as I used to have one:

-

dsc_0028.jpg

Apologies if I'm getting the 'wrong end of the stick', however, pretty sure most consoles launched without pack-ins tbh.

NES did:

And Megadrive did too (albeit, less common than Sonic/A.Beast/SOR pack-ins [etc])

SNES was also released as a solo only, as I used to have one:

I noticed you are from the UK, and after doing a little research, I think at least some of the launches of these consoles were handled differently. Perhaps all of them.

In the case of the SNES, well... that doesn't even look like the SNES that I am used to, but that is because it's the PAL version. After an admittedly short amount of Googling, I can't find details on SNES's launch in Europe. What I can tell you is that in the US, when SNES launched, it came with Super Mario World. The "Core System" was only available after launch.

According to Genesis FAQ on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs/2755), the "original pack-in" was Altered Beast. Here again, I don't think they launched with two separate versions of the console: a "core" version and a "pack-in". I think the "Core" version you show a picture of came later in the Genesis's life, similar to the SNES (at least in the US).

As for the NES, again, it might have been different in Europe, but the "Basic Set" was released in 1987, after the "Deluxe Set" and the "Control Set" which both contained pack-ins. (http://www.retroisle.com/others/nintendones/general.php)

The NES launched in the US with two pack-in games, Gyromite/w ROB and Duck Hunt w/the Zapper light gun. Retailers were leary of video games after the crash, so Nintendo of America included ROB the robot and the Zapper, to appear more of a toy to consumers and retailers.

I was reading an article recently were Nintendo of America was test marketing the NES in New York City and they initially set up a display and selling the NES in a single toy store in NYC. They said the very first customer was a middle aged male wearing a business suit and he came into the store and bought the system and one of each of the launch games. They found out later that he worked for Sega of America and he was checking out the competition..lol

• Like 2

Dear Santa Claus,

I have been proper and behaved and

I wish I could play Out Run on my Jag... :D

There is an ST version that CJ could prolly flip over to the Jag. The frame rate isn't too bad compared to the Amiga version (there is a hack somewhere that improves the Amiga's poor frame rate, though), and it has pretty good graphics.

@Lynxpro:Ahhh yes, Bomberman....supposedly done by Genetic Fantasia? one of the team previousily having worked for some gaming magazine or something?.

Claims i've briefly read are Atari had it developed with view of obtaining licensce from Hudson Soft once game was near as damnit finished, but events over took that plan, game indeed was nearly finished, but at this point Atari was dissapearing like snow before the sun and in face of the JTS deal, all plans to go after the licensce abandoned.
Any of that ring true?.
Never seen a single screenshot even, so if Rom has surfaced, i'd be interested to see what game is like.
I was rather partial to Bomberman on SNES, not so much so on MD, sadly never tried Saturn Bomberman (my loss).

I read that Mike Mika acquired the ROM. That was around circa November but haven't heard anything about it since then. Seemed like it would be pretty cool being 8-player and all but then others pointed out the Saturn version is 10-player.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

There is an ST version that CJ could prolly flip over to the Jag. The frame rate isn't too bad compared to the Amiga version (there is a hack somewhere that improves the Amiga's poor frame rate, though), and it has pretty good graphics.

Unfortunately for the moment it is just a demo as it is impossible to play...it is all the fault of Cyrano as usual ^^

• Like 1