IGNORED

5200 Emulator for Linux?

Tempest

Wow. This is the one thing I hate about Linux, some things that should be super easy like making an icon are stupidly difficult. In Windows it's like two button clicks.

This is specific to the Unity desktop environment used in Ubuntu. In other common desktop environments it is really two clicks away. And it might also be the creator of the .deb package to be blamed. The .desktop file is usually part of the package (in fact, the Unity desktop environment counts on it). But let us not start any flame wars here.

This is specific to the Unity desktop environment used in Ubuntu. In other common desktop environments it is really two clicks away. And it might also be the creator of the .deb package to be blamed. The .desktop file is usually part of the package (in fact, the Unity desktop environment counts on it). But let us not start any flame wars here.

Agreed, I just did the same thing in Ubuntu (12.04) and it was pretty easy. As others have said, fuck Unity. I use KDE and all I had to do was (well, first Google it) right-click on the Kickoff icon (lower left, the Start button basically) and select Edit Applications... which launches a pop-up window. In there I select where I want the new launcher icon to go (there are sub-menus listed like Education, Games, Multimedia, etc.) and then hit New Item at the top of the window. This presents me with a little pop-up window that asks for the name of the new launcher (in this case, atari800) and I hit OK. Now a blank set of lines on the right show up to fill in (Description:, Comment:) including the important Command: line where you put in whatever command + options you were using before on the command line (mine were atari800 -windowed & but not sure if that's right, may need to change it later). There is even a blank square that you can click on that will launch a Select Icon pop-up where you can browse to wherever your icon of choice is. Back in the main window there are check boxes for placing the launcher in the system tray or only showing this new option in KDE. Hit Save and, ta-da, you have the new launcher in the place you will remember to look. No need to dick with a .desktop file, either.

As for installing atari800, I ended up putting all the system ROMs (5 of them) in a subdirectory named atari800/ inside /usr/share/ (you need to use the sudo command like so - sudo mkdir atari800) so that any other users will be able to get to the same ROMs, it's just habit for me (wouldn't want 4 installs of the same program files or have other potential users referencing my home/ directory) and I changed all the paths in my .atari800.cfg to /usr/share/atari800/whatever.rom and renamed the ROMs to be lowercase and whatnot. I also changed the VIDEOMODE_WINDOW_WIDTH to 1344 and the VIDEOMODE_WINDOW_HEIGHT to 896. I'm only just starting with this thing so I will make more changes as I go, most probably. I made a subdirectory in my home/ directory called atari800/ where I made 2 (so far) subdirectories, 5200/ and 800/, to hold my game/program files. Now to figure out what formats those files need to be in and what other shit I'm probably missing. There is almost no help online for doing this beyond "So, just do it and it's done!"

Edited by ledzep

You know I just thought of something, I'm not sure where Atari800 installed itself. Where is the default for program installations in Ubuntu?

I can't remember. Probably depends on the program. On the command line type which atari800 and it should print out the full directory path (in my case it is /usr/bin/atari800). Using the which command followed by the (correct) name of the program you're trying to run will usually get you the full path. Try it for stuff you know works, like firefox or audacity or something.

Ah that's handy. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. Always happy to see one more person using Linux/Unix. It's the right way to compute, hahaaha. But, seriously, get your hands on a copy of Linux In A Nutshell, it's more or less a dictionary of every command in Linux (like having man pages printed up). Like a dictionary you kind of have to know what you're looking for but you can browse through the various commands and find stuff that will serve you repeatedly from now on. The command line is your friend and is many times loads faster than using a GUI (assuming one even exists for the task at hand), especially once you get used to wildcard characters like *, ? and learning how to pipe an output from one command into a second command. After that is learning how to write small, simple Bash shell scripts to automate things you need to do repeatedly and you'll be unstoppable and wonder how you ever lived without the command line in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

Question. I started up Atari800 the other day and it's saying it can't find my OS roms. Normally I'd go to the menu and point it to the location, but I can't get the menu to appear either in the window or at the top of the main screen. Any ideas on what's wrong? Also, is there a way to increase the window size it plays in, it's really tiny.

Press F1 for the menu screen. Then select Emulator Configuration -> System ROM Settings -> Find ROMs in directory. If the directory you selected contains the (original, unhacked) ROM images, then this option will load them. You can review the found ROM images using other options inside the System ROM Settings menu.

To resize the window, just resize the window. :-)

Edited by Kr0tki

Thanks, I'll try F1.

I didn't think I saw the resize options on that window, but I might have missed them. I was wondering if there was something about Linux and my video card (Nvidia) that made it only able to display in a small window or something.

It works by just grabbing the window frame. Although you might need to adjust the "stretch" setting first, in Display settings -> Video mode settings - when stretching is set to a constant multiplier, grabbing the frame won't resize the display.