IGNORED

Got my 7800 back 20+ years later...

DiscoDr.Bones

Hi There,

I have been following this forum for a long time, extremely impressed with what people are doing with the 7800s and the amount of dedication to the system here, especially in regards to projects like the XM and custom joystick builds. I had a 7800 growing up… borrowed in the early 90’s but not returned to me until this weekend, with a collection of about 20 games, but no controllers. Anyway, been having a blast playing the games that I can with 2600 controllers and looking forward to more conversation with you all in the future.

--Mike

• Like 9

That's awesome!! And first off welcome to Atariage!! :-) Bob DeCrescenzo has done an amazing job with the homebrews he is known as PacManPlus here. All of his games he did are just awesome!! We all just enjoy bringing back the nostalgia and going forward with all the systems we love and cherish. You got thousands of people here to help you on anything you need or desire.

• Like 1

I appreciate the welcome. The main catalyst for attempting to get my 7800 back was seeing all the good reviews of the homebrews in the store here, especially Pac Man Collection, Beef Drop and Space Invaders, all of which I intend to pick up in the not too distant future.

I do have a related question... I noticed that PacManPlus posted a 2012 version of the "Pac Man Collection" game, differentiated as the "small dot" version. Is this the one I would get if I buy it here at the AtariAge store?

--Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do have a related question... I noticed that PacManPlus posted a 2012 version of the "Pac Man Collection" game, differentiated as the "small dot" version. Is this the one I would get if I buy it here at the AtariAge store?

--Mike

Unfortunately not. CPUWIZ released last year a multicart collection of 8 homebrews written by Bob DeCrescenzo. The PMP multicart contains the updated "small dots" version of Pacman Collection but a limited number were produced and sold out fast. Also Space Invaders and Moon Cresta contain some game-breaking bugs. :sad:

The version of Pacman Collection in the AA store, as of November last year, still uses the older ROM variant with the big dots. The changes I believe are minimal besides the dot size and a hidden Easter Egg in which

player 2 can control Blinky.

Sorry for the late reply but I read your post and I meant to test this out but only got around to it tonight. If you enjoy Pacman, I highly recommend Pacman Collection and Jr Pacman from the AA store as must haves. Beef Drop is awesome as well.

Edited by stardust4ever

Thanks stardust4ever, as it turns out, I did pick up a copy of Pac-Man collection and I can confirm that the one I received is the older variant. Nonetheless, it has easily been the most played game in my household for the last month or so. I'm especially impressed by the sound... I have to plead a level of ignorance here, but as I understand it and have observed, the 7800 games are a bit notorious for poor sound due to the usage of the 2600 sound chip... but man... comparing the sound of Pac Man Collection to what any of the 2600 games I know sound like... it isn't even a contest. I don't believe that to be the same sound chip, but I know it has to be. That’s quite amazing.

Also, for what it is worth, while the spoiler button did work here on the forum, it didn’t do anything to cover the text that was in the e-mail, which I read first. =)