IGNORED

Activision Patches, difficulty & 2015 Summer Quest

cvga

I should try this again, but on a real system this time. I got all the patches on the PS2 version of the Activision Anthology when it came out and found most of them to be fairly easy. Oddly enough the one that gave me the most trouble (other than not falling asleep getting 1,000,000 in Laser Blast) was Barnstorming. I actually stayed up all night getting that one because I was seriously annoyed at how hard it was. I need to try it on a real 2600 though as I suspect that some of my problem was bad emulation. Grad Prix also gave me some issues, but not like Barnstorming.

• Like 2

I should try this again, but on a real system this time. I got all the patches on the PS2 version of the Activision Anthology when it came out and found most of them to be fairly easy. Oddly enough the one that gave me the most trouble (other than not falling asleep getting 1,000,000 in Laser Blast) was Barnstorming. I actually stayed up all night getting that one because I was seriously annoyed at how hard it was. I need to try it on a real 2600 though as I suspect that some of my problem was bad emulation. Grad Prix also gave me some issues, but not like Barnstorming.

Same thing with Kaboom! It's impossible to play without a VCS and a set of paddles. I have my modded xbox hooked up and playing most of it with that.

The patch for Stampede is really hard to get.

I never was able to reach the 3000 points. The 2nd game is H.E.R.O., that I cannot master.

A tip in Stampede is get all the brown herd on the bottom and make openings in the middle and very top. You will be surprised at how many black angus cows will pop up like crazy and net you mad points. Hope it helps!! I get to like level 10 and 11 in H.E.R.O. Grand Prix is a tough one!! I don't have crazy reflexes in which lanes to drive in.

• Like 1

Finally earned by 10th patch of the summer season...

SeaQuest

SeaQuest%20003.jpg

I didn't have this game as a child and was terrible at it when I first started playing last week. Even though I know there are a bunch of much better players, I feel like I really earned this one.

BTW - There will be a prize at the end of the season for whoever gets the most patches. I don't know what it will be yet though :)

• Like 1

Rainy days are perfect for Atari...

Decathlon

002_2.jpg

That qualifies for the Bronze and the Silver patch. I was terrible on the High Jump (something like 293 points). At some point I'll probably go for the Gold.

Freeway:

006_2.jpg

Once you find the right pattern in Game 3, it's pretty easy to repeat over and over and over and over (20 times)

• Like 2

Those gods-be-damned CONDORS!!! Anyway, I got this far before I got frustrated and started hemorrhaging points ... 108,992. Saved the girl, glimpsed the diamond and the rat ... It'll do for tonight.

IMG_4571_zps9kde9o4a.jpg

IMG_4578_zpsas2ardnm.jpg

IMG_4580_zpsoxfhtgm8.jpg

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

On Decathlon it feels like you will break your joystick. You have to clamp it down hard while moving it back and forth.

Decathlon is a great game to use a trackball to play. It makes running so much better.

I know that there was a way to score tons of points on the Pole Vault but I can't recall how to to it. I'll have to look it up. You could get so many points that letters and other characters started showing up in the point display.

• Like 1

Decathlon is a great game to use a trackball to play. It makes running so much better.

I know that there was a way to score tons of points on the Pole Vault but I can't recall how to to it. I'll have to look it up. You could get so many points that letters and other characters started showing up in the point display.

Unfortunatley I don't have a 2600 Trak Ball. :-( Only for the 5200.

Depends on which version you have. One fixed that bug, one didn't. Basically once you let go of the pole for your jump you could keep tapping the fire button and your guy would keep going higher. But if you're doing a competition that would be cheating.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! This is an awesome idea. When I was kid and playing these games for the first time, I wasn't very good. When I read about the Activision patches in the manuals, I always wanted to earn one, but was never good enough to get the required scores.

No, so many years later I feel like I'm getting a chance to actually "earn" these now!

Here's my first entry. Decided to take on Pitfall! thanks to Ferg's recent episode 100. As a kid, I remember getting close, but never getting there. Today, I got 72,592.

Looking forward to earning more! I'm going to start with the three I had as a kid: Pitfall!, River Raid, and Kaboom. I think River Raid is next and achievable, not so sure about Kaboom. That was never a strong game for me.post-41431-0-79351200-1435029779_thumb.png

• Like 3

Thanks so much for starting this thread! This is an awesome idea. When I was kid and playing these games for the first time, I wasn't very good. When I read about the Activision patches in the manuals, I always wanted to earn one, but was never good enough to get the required scores.

No, so many years later I feel like I'm getting a chance to actually "earn" these now!

Here's my first entry. Decided to take on Pitfall! thanks to Ferg's recent episode 100. As a kid, I remember getting close, but never getting there. Today, I got 72,592.

Looking forward to earning more! I'm going to start with the three I had as a kid: Pitfall!, River Raid, and Kaboom. I think River Raid is next and achievable, not so sure about Kaboom. That was never a strong game for me.attachicon.gifPitfall! (1982) (Activision) (16K).png

I am struggling with Kaboom! It's a fun and addicting game. But truly my weakest one. I can't even get 1,000 points on it. Well my admission to the "Bucket Brigade" is denied. I've got 12 patches hit so far. I'm glad you are enjoying this as well!! We need some more to join in on this.

• Like 1