IGNORED

Activision Patches, difficulty & 2015 Summer Quest

cvga

Thanks so much for starting this thread! This is an awesome idea. When I was kid and playing these games for the first time, I wasn't very good. When I read about the Activision patches in the manuals, I always wanted to earn one, but was never good enough to get the required scores.

No, so many years later I feel like I'm getting a chance to actually "earn" these now!

Here's my first entry. Decided to take on Pitfall! thanks to Ferg's recent episode 100. As a kid, I remember getting close, but never getting there. Today, I got 72,592.

I'm glad you like it! I've added your name with the patches you've earned in the second post of the thread.

I've added your name with the patches you've earned in the second post of the thread.

I was just perusing the Patch List and no one else has any of the Starmaster patches? Really? Come on, guys! It's a great game and it's not that hard, especially on Ensign.

And on that note, I had a great game going on Wing Commander level (the next one up from Leader) until I jostled my Light Sixer flipping the B/W switch to bring up the map. That caused me to jiggle the power connector and my game glitched. Grrr! Time to break out the soldering iron this weekend and touch up the power jack connections. Oh well. Summer still has three more months to go!

I was just perusing the Patch List and no one else has any of the Starmaster patches? Really? Come on, guys! It's a great game and it's not that hard, especially on Ensign.

I agree but I've been playing on a 7800. I'll break out the 2600 and fire up Starmaster by the end of the weekend!

I have noticed there are 2 patches not listed. It is Private Eye. If you solve case 3 you get a patch for "Super Sleuth". And in Tennis if you win a match against the computer. Thought I'd bring that up. :)

Thanks! I have both of those actual patches so I shouldn't have missed it. It's odd though because I've looked at three different Tennis instruction manuals (initial, Rev 2, Rev 3) and can't find where it mentions how to earn a patch. Where did you find the criteria?

Thanks! I have both of those actual patches so I shouldn't have missed it. It's odd though because I've looked at three different Tennis instruction manuals (initial, Rev 2, Rev 3) and can't find where it mentions how to earn a patch. Where did you find the criteria?

https://www.atariage.com/2600/archives/activision_patches.html

That's helpful. I feel a little foolish looking through all of the instruction booklets now. However, I still can't find any instructions that tell you how to achieve the patch for Tennis!

It's just winning a match against the computer. Simple as the Ice Hockey one. Odd for Beamrider. It says complete level 20 and scoring 60,000 points!?!? It should be completing Sector 14 and getting 40,000 points. :-/

Edited by Retrogamer81081

I had the same idea to post a famous tennis player while smashing his racket. I thought of John McEnroe instead of Roger Federer, but couldn't find a good -coloured- image.

I was looking for a McEnroe smashing his racket as well, but couldn't find one :mad: it was mostly his angry facial expressions and yelling. I should have posted a screenshot losing the game with this pic. By it on how I felt :lol: Ice Hockey is fun and simple to beat the computer, but in Tennis it's hard and have to constantly angle everything at the far corners.

Let's steer this back toward the patches. I was playing the game while all of you were looking for smashed rackets :) You have to move the computer to one side of the screen and hit the ball to the other side.

Tennis:

003_1.jpg

BTW: I still can't find an instruction manual that talks about earning a patch for this game. The manual on AtariAge doesn't show it. I've also looked at three different versions that I have and none of them mention it (unless I'm just missing it).

I also got around to playing Starmaster. I loved this game as a kid. Primarily because it got me a color TV. Before I got this game (for my birthday), I had to play my Atari on a small black and white TV. Since Starmaster needs a color TV to play properly, I had to hook my Atari up on our larger family TV. That drove my dad crazy so my parents bought me a small color RCA television for my bedroom. Awesomeness!

006_3.jpg

I lost my shields just before I killed the last enemy. Close call!

We've now earned 56 patches on 22 different games!

Patch Leaders:

16 - cvga

14 - Retrogamer81081

9 - mikey.shake

5 - Dr. Venkman

4 - Mangia-boy

3 - thorr

2 - troff

1 - hermi69, Jin, yugobrandon

Games with most patches earned:

6 - Chopper Command, River Raid

5 - Pitfall

4 - Keystone Kapers, Megamania, SeaQuest

Summer is just getting started. Join us and have some fun!

• Like 2