IGNORED

atari lynx collection. easy or no?

segasaturn

Nice collection there. The Lemmings in the box is quite tasty!

My overall impression of Ebay over the last year or so is, there just isn't quite the selection there used to be. Not sure why that is but I'm having a doozy of a time finding some old toys and games that used to be fairly common. I took a quick look at the Lynx section and it looks like the scarcity bug has hit them too - I saw a few rares missing (Super Offroad, Desert Strike) and even Checkered Flag was not available in the boxed version. Might want to skedaddle before things start disappearing.

Yeah, it's getting tough for sure. Just today a load of rares sold (Raiden, Ponx etc etc)... and they went for more that you can buy them new?? This makes no sense. I can only assume these are collectors who aren't looking very hard, but it's also making everything more expensive for everyone. £73 for Othello? Even if you bought from Video 61 (it's $40) with $20 postage... that's be $60 -- nearly half what that person paid.

I saw a game lot for $200. Not sure but most of the games seemed pretty common when many of them are available elsewhere sealed for cheap.

I've come to the conclusion many ebayers don't know how to use Google. For instance flippers selling AtariAge homebrews as discontinued or rare for $$$ when they are available in the AA store for half the price or less.

A lot of these sources can be found online and even checkout multiple games for discounted shipping. I don't collect CIB normally but if a game is more common sealed than loose, I'll take it.

Also Amazon is great for games in the $10-30 range, but not for $2 Atari games when you pay a flat rate of $3.99 s/h per item even from the same seller. Asking sellers for shipping discount on multiple items is a crap shoot.

Also the Atari Lynx sold poorly in the US so the games are not that common much like Turbo Grafx. Also as consoles continue to die due to power regulators failing, working units become scarce, but this also causes people to dump game lots for sale. If Lynx becomes desirable to collectors, the prices could easily skyrocket like Hucards or Turbo Express have. Both are uncommon but only one is high demand. Also much like Nintendo, NEC/Hudson did not flood the market like Atari, so pallets of unsold games weren't sitting in warehouses for years...

Edited by stardust4ever

I've sort of decided to start collecting. Recently I went to a retro gaming event and dug up my Atari Lynx I once got for my birthday back in the 90s.

Back then the Lynx was essentially at end of life so a lot of games were cheap. Have 15 games and in my eternal hoarding wisdom still have the boxes for all games.

Including Lemmings, was honestly surprised it was rare, but from what I father it was rarer n the US than in Europe.

Most likely I'm not going to aim for a complete collection, and fully boxed is in some cases just too expensive.

That said, so far I've found taking over lots from others to be a quicker way of getting more games cheaply than just getting separate games.

As a result I'm going to end up with like 4 Lynxes. Not that I mind, means I can play multiplayer games more easily.

• Like 1

Bubble Trouble in the original Telegames green box is nowadays impossible to find.

The one that I have is the only one I ever remember seeing for sale. Glad I scooped it up!

For some of the newer guys, there are a couple threads on here about the Telegames variants, which are pretty interesting. My Fat Bobby and Raiden came in cases with laughable inkjet artwork, the aspect ratio on Raiden was completely skewed.

What are some good games to try out and games to avoid? I'm rather ignorant on separating the gems from the turds.

I think this is the most recent thread about that topic: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225598-lynx-games-to-avoid/

There seem to be far less universally panned games on the Lynx than other systems. You'll see in that thread some examples where one person will hate a game while another will like it. I've seen people swear by Todd's Adventures in Slime World while others have genuine hatred for it. Hard Drivin' is the only thing I recall from the top of my head that is complete garbage. Maybe Pit Fighter too, as that game tends to stink on every platform. Its novelty of digitized fighters has worn off.

Most likely I'm not going to aim for a complete collection, and fully boxed is in some cases just too expensive.

That said, so far I've found taking over lots from others to be a quicker way of getting more games cheaply than just getting separate games.

Yup, this is how it starts. You tell yourself you'll just pick up some of the best games. Next thing you know, you're trawling Japanese Craig's list for that rare Klax variant.

• Like 1

Check out the price on Rygar. Atari Lynx has to be one of the few systems whose price has gone down long after they stopped selling at retail stores. Many common 2600 games that are CIB have gone up, many common CIB C64 games have gone up, many NES games have gone up (whether they are CIB or not) but most of the non Telegames carts can be bought for as little as 1/2 to 1/4 of original retail price.