IGNORED

Upgrade to XBox One Questions

SoulBlazer

Oh HELL YES.. It doesn't appear to be as simple as one would hope (pop the disc in, play), but at least they're offering to basically transfer some of your games to the xbone. I'm all for this and it's better than nothing. Crossing my fingers they get to some of those Xbox Live titles. I'd love to play some Radiant Silvergun on the One.

What I read made it sound like it was emulation, since the statement I read made it sound like compatibility was merely a formality. The publisher just has to confirm that the title works fine and sends a requests for it to be cleared.

For instance, here's a line I've seen from their spokesman...

"Developers won't have to touch anything up at all,"

Other aspects like the ability to play multiplayer with 360 users, full support of 360 save files, shared achievement progress, and so on seems to lend credence to that even though they're apparently not allowing a disc to be played directly or to be ripped to the HDD.

If it's not native playback but actually is emulation, I hope they find a way to get content from defunct developers/publishers, delisted material, and so on cleared.

Edited by Atariboy

Again, there are several statements and evidence that suggest otherwise.

While the fact that discs aren't played directly nor ripped to the HDD lends support that these are in actuality ports, it doesn't confirm it, either. Not when there's contradictory information being stated.

Do you really think that they're promising hundreds of additions each month, at no costs for those that own the 360 versions no less, yet have to actually port each and every title over to the Xbox One so that they're able to run on the drastically different Xbox One architecture?

Heck, you can even access the Xbox 360's guide...

Edited by Atariboy

I tried Viva Pinata and Geometry Wars tonight on my XB1. Plays the same as my XB360 did. Friend notifications and achievements pop up 360 style. Pressing the start and select buttons simultaneously will pull up the 360 guide.

When installing a disc based game it downloads a file from XboxLive, I was able to pop Mass Effect and Viva Pinata in and had them both in my download queue.

Works pretty well.

• Like 2

When installing a disc based game it downloads a file from XboxLive

That'll be the replacement executable.

EDIT: Guys, it really isn't that hard to re-compile a 360 title on the XB1, they both talk Direct-X. It's really interesting that they waited, Sony couldn't do this, it is simply not possible to emulate their PowerPC and SPU array, with a 1.75GHz processor (octa core, custom AMD dual Jaguar module). It's awesome that it works well off the disc. Apparently you can now even do cross platform multi player, that alone is damn cool.

• Like 2

I tried Viva Pinata and Geometry Wars tonight on my XB1. Plays the same as my XB360 did. Friend notifications and achievements pop up 360 style. Pressing the start and select buttons simultaneously will pull up the 360 guide.

When installing a disc based game it downloads a file from XboxLive, I was able to pop Mass Effect and Viva Pinata in and had them both in my download queue.

Huh.. so it's out already? Are you required to keep the 360 disc in the drive while you play? I am assuming so, but am curious regardless.

The files for Mass effect and Viva Pinata were 5-6gb each, so I assume it is the whole game, and the XB1 just uses the game disc as a verification of ownership.

If you are in the Xbox Preview program some backwards compatible games work now. Mass Effect, Kameo, Viva Pinata series, Perfect Dark Zero and Zuma are the disc based games that work now. I saw Geometry Wars, Defense Grid, and A World of Keflings download only games available also. There may be other downloadable 360 games that work too, but those three showed up automatically because I already owned them.

You need to keep the disc in while playing a disc based game.

That'll be the replacement executable.

EDIT: Guys, it really isn't that hard to re-compile a 360 title on the XB1, they both talk Direct-X. It's really interesting that they waited, Sony couldn't do this, it is simply not possible to emulate their PowerPC and SPU array, with a 1.75GHz processor (octa core, custom AMD dual Jaguar module). It's awesome that it works well off the disc. Apparently you can now even do cross platform multi player, that alone is damn cool.

They didnt wait they had other plans remember? :P

I have to see the quality here. If its pretty crappy like Xbox games were in general on 360 then I see no reason to ever ditch the 360.

There is no promise to bring all titles over anyway.

They didnt wait they had other plans remember? :P

LOL

Confirmed as emulation, it would appear (Like they said they were investigating, a year or so ago).

http://www.zdnet.com/article/emulation-is-key-to-microsofts-xbox-backward-compatibility-story/

The question at this time, besides seeing how accurate the experience is and how Microsoft will grow it in the future, looks more to be why do we have to download all the game data for even after inserting a disc, if it's indeed emulation?

Assuming all that is accurate and is coming from the engineers involved rather than a misinformed spokesman, here's some things that I'll be looking out for if the emulation quality is good and the supported library grows by leaps and bounds like they're claiming it will (Some, quite possibly all of this is, is all but certainly wishful thinking I know).

-Support for wired 360 accessories while playing 360 software on the XB1.

-Support for the 360's Xbox emulator.

-Clearing content that's delisted, from defunct firms, etc.

-HD-DVD drive support (They don't even have to write custom XB1 drivers, now).

-Support for the 360's custom soundtrack feature (Can we even get our MP3's onto the XB1 as of yet?).

Edited by Atariboy

I read it on the internet, it must be true.

People will soon not only forget that, but swear that the exact opposite was claimed.

This happens, because of people posting stuff like this (even people who manage to even mess up the articles first line on a zdnet article, super)...

Confirmed as emulation

Anyone with a cellphone is a journalist, remember?

I read it on the internet, it must be true.

lol

In my defense, I tried to stress as I passed that article on, that it's not necessarily fully accurate and shouldn't be viewed as full confirmation.

It's hardly unknown, especially at a busy time like this, for the marketing team or even a single spokesman to twist something around and end up with the facts all wrong.

Edited by Atariboy

You guys have fun with this, maybe someone who actually programs all of these consoles as well, can come up with a instruction cycle breakdown.

Emulating opcodes of a triple core 3.2GHz PowerPC on a 8 core 1.75GHz custom AMD Jaguar (actually really 2 x 4 core modules), show me! And it has to run at the same speed, not 1FPS. And if you propose writing it in C++, forget it from the beginning.

• Like 3

It seems that he is clearly saying that the game is running in an emulator. Still he could be making a generalization and it's actually just the 360 features that are being emulated (like the guide). Overall this video gives the impression that no code is necessary to make a game backwards compatible. It'll be interesting to learn more about it.

As someone that never gets rid of a console and uses the 360 more than the One I would use this for the game DVR and screenshot features mostly. If the games run the same I will use it.

It seems that he is clearly saying that the game is running in an emulator. Still he could be making a generalization and it's actually just the 360 features that are being emulated (like the guide). Overall this video gives the impression that no code is necessary to make a game backwards compatible. It'll be interesting to learn more about it.

That's interesting. He definitely says in the video that it's all done in software. I'm really curious to know how they are actually managing this on the back end.

It's really a shame if it's emulation, and is as solid as it appears, that they're not just rolling out full compatibility.

Nothing I've seen indicates that they're having to massage anything here, like the customization necessary the last time around as features were enabled and disabled with their emulator as necessary for each title, to keep the overall system demands within the limitations of the Xbox 360 hardware since the program couldn't be ran fully enabled. Rather, clearance seems to be just a mere formality this time around, like clearing PSP software for the Vita is.

And the USB bit at the ~2:50 mark is nonsense. The lack of support for wired Xbox 360 accessories has nothing to do with technical issues. If anyone wants to believe that MS couldn't with extreme ease, support USB Xbox 360 accessories with their Xbox One's 360 emulator, I have a bridge that I'm looking to sell cheap that's located in Brooklyn...

But great to see, none the less. :)

Edited by Atariboy

This works really well. My XB1 automatically queued the X360 Live Arcade games that I own and that are backwards compatible. I played some Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and Perfect Dark and they both worked like a champ. I never got that far in Perfect Dark when I bought it for the X360, so it will be cool to play through the game for the first time on my XB1.

I'm really curious to know how they are actually managing this on the back end.

They're leveraging virtualization. Microsoft has had the ability to run PowerPC workloads on x86 hardware through HyperV for a long time now, although most of this support has only been provided to enterprise customers and didn't include video acceleration. Looks like they've really got it working well.

Edited by goldenegg