IGNORED

Why can't I comment on Gallery images anymore?

I used to leave occasional comments on other user's Gallery images, but now I found that this is no longer possible. Why?

I also noticed that my repeated suggestion of making the Gallery visible to all (not just logged in users) was ignored and the suggestion thread deleted. Why?

You'll notice that the Gallery viewing numbers are pretty pathetic. Making it visible to all, putting a random Gallery image on the main forum pages and having comments with notifiication should improve this. Otherwise, the Gallery is pretty damn useless.

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

I used to leave occasional comments on other user's Gallery images, but now I found that this is no longer possible. Why?

This wasn't done intentionally, I'll take a look at the permissions.

I also noticed that my repeated suggestion of making the Gallery visible to all (not just logged in users) was ignored and the suggestion thread deleted. Why?

I doubt your thread was deleted. I'll look at the permissions for the Gallery -- I agree it should be visible to all, not just logged-in users.

You'll notice that the Gallery viewing numbers are pretty pathetic. Making it visible to all, putting a random Gallery image on the main forum pages and having comments with notifiication should improve this. Otherwise, the Gallery is pretty damn useless.

I did experiment with a Gallery plugin that displayed Gallery images on the front page, but it was pretty slow. The next version of the forum software improves on the Gallery a bit, and has a better plugin for the main forum index. The notification system in IP.Board 4.0 has also been revamped, so you may have more notification options then. You can "follow" individual images and albums, which should notify you when there are comments.

I'll take a look at the permissions now.

..Al

OK, thanks Albert. Excuse the slightly annoyed tone of my post.

No need to apologize -- I've looked at the permissions and they were definitely broken--commenting was disabled for all groups, including Admins. I imagine this happened during one of the forum upgrades. Also, the entire Gallery module was hidden for Guests, which certainly wasn't intentional.

I've fixed both issues, and I'm sure Google will be quick to index the entirety of the Gallery. Thanks for pointing out the problems.

I did try to search for your previous thread, but could not find it. Where did you post it? Was it a new thread, or had you made a comment (or comments) in a previous thread?

Thanks,

..Al

Yes, it seems to be fixed now. Thanks!

Gallery was visible to only logged in users for as long as I can remember. I posted a thread about it, requesting changes, probably back in 2010. I kept checking back for a while, but got no response. I searched for the thread today but it seems to have vanished. (but I definitely made one)

Oh well, hopefully now the Gallery will get more views and comments. :)

I played around with adding the Gallery images to the front page. The stock Invision hook that does this sticks them right at the top, which I'm not too keen on. I tried a third-party hook as well (that is much more configurable, and let me install it in the sidebar to the right), but it caused the main forum index to load very slowly, so I nuked that! Probably this is improved in 4.x, but it will be a while before I migrate the forum over to that (Invision still has a fair bit of work to do on 4.x before I'd consider using it here).

..Al