IGNORED

HSC12 Round 9: Zeppelin & Bonus Embargo

55,800 Got to level 6 (the 2nd level) had loads of lives but suddenly those falling sticks got me not sure if they are on one of the switches... very good game. WE ARE PLAYING FOR LEVEL REACHED SO CONCENTRATE ON THE ROUTES THE GAME TAKES YOU!

71,360 Level 5 got stuck in the bottom right corner after opening all the doors and kept going round in circles not sure if I could force the scroll or not :twisted:

Found the game I was looking for as the bonus game: Embargo see first post (though we could have had a 'burger theme and played Nuclear Nick!) :)

Edited by therealbountybob

Zeppelin Hints from last time we played:

>>>

Zeppelin, got down to level 5 but then seemed to self destruct and didn't get near my previous score. On level 6 I forgot to put the plunger up before docking the TNT and blew myself up icon_mrgreen.gif

This game is well worth putting the time in, a load more HINTS:

On the first level get a burger, don't need keys, keep it, collect any extra lives you see, stay at the top go left, dock the burger with the monster, shoot him (he becomes a switch that opens the big door), then go round again and get the TNT... jobs a good un icon_mrgreen.gif

when firing keep the button held in so you don't crash into owt. If you're having trouble with the depth charges use the enemy zeppelins as shields, don't shoot the ones near the top - turn them on if you can find the right switch!

Only need keys on level 5 onwards, drop before doors and take again after... it's all starting to make sense now! If you complete level 7 there are two loads of extra men at the start of level 6, stay at the top.

[trbb]

<<<

The hardest thing with Zeppelin is working out where you can force the scrolling and where you have to go with the flow. Reaching Level 5 each go now but not keeping it together as I'm too busy shooting stuff!

The bonus game Embargo (see first post) is nice and simple and I'm sure will be some light relief. Reached Level 2: 3,850

Embargo 17,050 (5) steadily gets more difficult - nice for a bonus game :)

Zeppelin - made some progress on level 5 - you really have to hold out for the screen scrolls - got the burger to 1 away from the burget monster. I guess the author decided tons of men would be good as it's tricky with the scrolling sometimes. (the first ATR on atarionline.pl also locked up - at the end of my go - so will try the next one).

The Latest Tables

Zeppelin level reached counts, then score (see post #1 for how to to complete a level)

Completed Novice 20pts

Level 1 15pts

Level 2 12pts

Level 3 10pts

Level 4 8pts

Level 5 5pts

trbb (p) 71,360 *

SHiNjide (p) 57,370

JK40001 (p) 39,710

8BIT 1337 (n) 38,690 $

Level 6 3pts

McKong (p) 42,900
Level 7 (starting level) 1pt +1pt for highest score(£)

adam242 (n) 25,310 £
roadrunner (n) 12,030
powersoft (p) 8,890

playermissile (n) 8,150
Goochman (n) 4,180
jblenkle (n) 940

---------------------------------------------------------

*/£ Highest score bonus points

$ NTSC bonus point

# New HSC record bonus point

Embargo (1pt per player)

1st trbb (p) 37,270 4pts

2nd SHiNjide (p) 27,720 3pts

3rd JK40001 (p) 21,450 2pts

4th roadrunner (n) 2,050 1pt

Round 10 poll O*P*E*N

Found this Led Zeppelin A8 Demo

led_zeppelin.png

[]nearly beat level 5 was with burger approaching the final bit and the game crashed :twisted: anyone else having problems? (could be my PSU is on the way out) will try some of the file versions next :(

Edited by therealbountybob
Updated

I'm afraid I'm stuck im level 5, but this time with 57370.

Me too. Level 5 is very large and tricky. I managed to deliver the burger and before that I moved the TNT once but then I struggled again with a certain section where I kept going round in circles - the scrolling seems to know If you have a key or not perhaps you just need to go round after the burger and through all the switch doors or perhaps you need to get the TNT down lower first? I think a map would be very useful. devwebcl might have one if anyone can find his site?

(the XEX file "Zeppelin (1983)(Synapse Software)(US).xex" didn't lock, up but maybe I was lucky!)

Embargo 37,270 level 6 :)

Tables UPDATED As it's so hard I've increased the scoring for anyone who does get further in Zeppelin :thumbsup:

I don't know why, but this is not working on my 65XE with SIO2SD. It's loading, then I think it's unpacking for 1 sec or so and then I get a black screen. That's all. :? It's the XEX from Fandal.

Try one from atarionline.pl they have lots of versions (as usual!), looks like some need OS/B so perhaps this is the issue though Fandal usually patches his files

Still not found a Zeppelin map, thought http://mapy.atari8.info/hero.php would have one but NO! :ponder:

PlayerMissile I'm really enjoying your Pod Casts, still catching up. I really like the bits on games and how they were/are done - don't tell Antic but this might be my favourite A8 Pod Cast :D Your confidence and the fluency is improving each episode too :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Allan, who does most of the Atari 8-bit updates for Atarimania, is my go-to guy about original disk image software questions. I asked if he knew of anyone who has a proper (non-cracked) disk image of Synapse Software's "Zeppelin" game. I told him that it's the current game being played this round and that it seems that the disk has never been dumped properly. I told him about some of the problems mentioned in this thread about the cracks. I figured that since this game is among the best-remembered games for the Atari 8-Bit line, that there might be a chance that he could can help get a good dump of the original disks onto AtariMania.

Here is Allan's personal reply to me:

"Has anyone tried the cassette dump on Atarimania? I can put a correct version on there but I don't have a copy of the game. Usually the cassette version is easiest to copy because you were very limited in what copy-protection you could use with cassettes."

Does anyone on this group have the original disk of this game?

• Like 1

I'm still having lock-ups on all versions (so far).

CHEAT ALLOWED: If anyone who has already reached it wants to start on Level 5 (or higher) they can use the Jolly Roger version "Zeppelin (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)[cr Jolly Roger][t Ace Jon C.]" from atarionline.pl but you must only start with 4 men (usually by this point you have loads) and obviously you will get a lower score.

I've started a map of level 5 - it helps but hard to map and play. and seems there are several similar sections chained together. You can seem to turn safely if you wait in the right places. You can sort of cheat and use a life to go through a locked area but sometimes you then need to use another and another - perhaps this is intentional and why you have so many zeppz or bad form... didn't seem to help me! Getting the burger and finding the plunger but not getting back for the TNT.

This round and the poll close Tuesday 5pm UK Time :)

Embargo - 12,610

post-19239-0-16351400-1434841578_thumb.jpg

Another favorite early 800 game... simple and fun. I really like the aesthetic of this one - colorful and some nice details (the airships' exhaust!) - fits ANTIC/GTIA perfectly. It's easy to see 'how they did it' from a programming point of view, but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment or appreciation.

• Like 1

Good job Embargo is simple as Zeppelin is a tough mother(ship)

MORE TRBB ZEPPELIN HINTS

The Jolly Roger version seems the most stable [yes I played with 4 lives!]

post-19705-0-45961700-1434843238_thumb.jpg

- shame he didn't leave the author credited on the title screen. I will let fandal know IF someone else can confirm his version is crashing on another Atari?

post-19705-0-10570000-1434843249_thumb.jpg

Now I've beaten Level 5... "party time" :party: drawing a map helped - it wasn't that big I would post it but you can do better, trust me. Hint: The start has 4 similar sections and once you get the burger monster fed you don't need to return to this "upper" section of the game.

Level 4 I retired on (over 100K) with a bunch of lives my first map is rubbish and there are some long horizontal bits that I can't see a way of turning. I stupidly put my burger down and didn't want to spend another hour floating around (not in ecstacy).

post-19705-0-32194200-1434843235_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-99155400-1434843241_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-09057900-1434843245_thumb.jpg

What the Zepp? Looks like something should go here?

post-19705-0-43595700-1434843231_thumb.jpg

Apart from mapping key to play is understanding where the safe turn points are. The screenshots attached show some of them but I'm sure there are others. Like I said before having an open door or not changes where you go.

post-19705-0-72618500-1434843220_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-34444700-1434843224_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-72091200-1434843227_thumb.jpg

Don't be in a rush to get past moving rocky things - wait for the screen to change direction first

Did anyone try the Led Zeppelin A8 Demo? (link above) pretty good stuff :thumbsup:

PlayerMissile I'm really enjoying your Pod Casts, still catching up. I really like the bits on games and how they were/are done - don't tell Antic but this might be my favourite A8 Pod Cast :D Your confidence and the fluency is improving each episode too :thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks! Glad you like the tech stuff, that's probably my favorite thing to do. Maybe sometime I'll get in sync with the HSC and review/analyze games as we're playing them here. In some ways I hamstrung myself choosing to go chronologically. But that way makes sense for the magazines. Oh, well. I'm having fun and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks! Glad you like the tech stuff, that's probably my favorite thing to do. Maybe sometime I'll get in sync with the HSC and review/analyze games as we're playing them here. In some ways I hamstrung myself choosing to go chronologically. But that way makes sense for the magazines. Oh, well. I'm having fun and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

When you get up to 2014 you'll cover Pro© magazine and the HSC will then be mentioned ;)

I've just completed Level 4 of Zeppelin - Another big hint: probably seasoned Zeppelinners will already know all these, but if like me you were getting stuck with a key trying to get up/leftt from a door you need collect the left side key after the screen has started to scroll up. With this tip, the turn points, and making a map for each level the game is unfolding nicely. My scribbly maps each fit on a page of A4 btw.

Speaking of the Pro© Mag, Zeppelin is a perfect game for my next detailed review (though powersoft already has a few in the pipeline) :)

This round ends tomorrow evening but if anyone wants an extra day or two with this round that's ok just post a late score, but I'll start Round 10 tomorrow.

• Like 1

I gave "Embargo" a try:

Embargo - 9,690

post-4925-0-58906300-1435030361_thumb.gif

I played "Zeppelin" and remembered exactly why I haven't played this round (or in the past): it's boring for me. I also find that it's a game where the best way to figure something out is to die over and over. I can see why people like it, but it's just not my style.

Zeppelin - 3,560 (First Level)

post-4925-0-93948800-1435032126_thumb.gif

Edited by ballyalley