IGNORED

HSC12 Round 9: Zeppelin & Bonus Embargo

I played "Zeppelin" and remembered exactly why I haven't played this round (or in the past): it's boring for me. I also find that it's a game where the best way to figure something out is to die over and over. I can see why people like it, but it's just not my style.

Fair enough, I often wondered what was going on and thought my copy was perhaps not right as it started on level 7 but turns out it is a very good game in there but it does take some time to master and a long time to play some levels - You can turn safely at several points (see screenshots above). I will write a full review of the game for a future Pro© expanding on many of the hints I've posted here as I've figured it out. Using the Jolly Roger version is a must so you can start on each level :)

I've definitely mentioned the HSC before, but it gets a prominent place in Ep 13 if you haven't gotten there yet. :)

Thanks for the mentions - players here would enjoy listenting I'm sure, not quite at #13 but catching up rapidly (need more ironing to do!) find they slow down my assembler programming too much so usually stick to Rock music ;)

I will write a full review of the game for a future Pro© expanding on many of the hints I've posted here as I've figured it out.

I've read the first three English translation of the "Poc© Atari" magazine; yesterday I got issues 4-6 in the mail. I look forward to any review you write in there in some future issue.

A friend of mine said that to beat the C64 version of "Zeppelin" from beginning to end would literally take a game that probably lasts all day. I'm not sure if he's exaggerating, but is that somewhat accurate on the Atari?

Thanks for the mentions [on the Player/Missile podcast]

The "Player/Missile" podcast does rule, doesn't it? It's in a neck-to-neck tie with the Antic podcast for me. I'm still catching up on it (I'm on episode #9). This is the first (only?) episode with the robotic "overlord" (used, so far, for bumpers and corrections). I'm not crazy about it. It seems to be an idea borrowed from the "Inverse ATASCII" podcast. I don't get bumpers, but using a robotic voice bumper makes my skin crawl and doesn't fit the laid-back tone of the podcast so far.

I've read the first three English translation of the "Poc© Atari" magazine; yesterday I got issues 4-6 in the mail. I look forward to any review you write in there in some future issue.

A friend of mine said that to beat the C64 version of "Zeppelin" from beginning to end would literally take a game that probably lasts all day. I'm not sure if he's exaggerating, but is that somewhat accurate on the Atari?

The "Player/Missile" podcast does rule, doesn't it? It's in a neck-to-neck tie with the Antic podcast for me. I'm still catching up on it (I'm on episode #9). This is the first (only?) episode with the robotic "overlord" (used, so far, for bumpers and corrections). I'm not crazy about it. It seems to be an idea borrowed from the "Inverse ATASCII" podcast. I don't get bumpers, but using a robotic voice bumper makes my skin crawl and doesn't fit the laid-back tone of the podcast so far.

I have submitted several articles including a couple of proper games reviews so hopefully will be in the next couple of Pro© issues!

Zep Level 4 took me about an hour but I think once you have a map you can get through them quicker. The first two levels are very quick. Each level gets bigger by the looks of it. If you figure out the mechanics of where you can turn you can save a lot of time. I will try and finish Novice using the JR start level version. Heck then there's 3 more difficulty levels!

Agreed it's too serious souding not a nice voice or funny evil or just fun.

Final Tables in a minute...

Congratulations to me! Ok I bet everyone thought Zeppelin would be a mindless blaster but as it turns out it's a unique game with some nice touches. Well done to anyone who completed a level, the first one is really not hard, so next time you play, see the first post and get that burger monster fed! Be sure to checkout the box artwork on atarimania too.

Embargo was a nice bonus game, simple, colourful, and ok for a couple of goes. Thanks for playing guys and lets see what won the poll for Round 10 :)

I'll update the current standins later in the week: if anyone wants to improve their Zeppelin Level that's ok ;)

Final Tables

Zeppelin level reached, then score

Completed Novice 20pts

Level 1 15pts

Level 2 12pts

Level 3 10pts

trbb (p) 111,530

Level 4 8pts

Level 5 5pts

SHiNjide (p) 57,370

McKong (p) 42,900
JK40001 (p) 39,710

8BIT 1337 (n) 38,690 $

Level 6 3pts

Level 7 (starting level) 2pts +1pt for highest score(£)

adam242 (n) 25,310 £
roadrunner (n) 12,030
powersoft (p) 8,890

playermissile (n) 8,150
Goochman (n) 4,180

Sikor (p) 4,010

ballyalley (n) 3,560

akator (n) 1,920

bluecat (p) 1,700
jblenkle (n) 940

---------------------------------------------------------

$ NTSC bonus point

I've removed the HSC record (and bonus point) as scoring is flawed - will now use level reached

Embargo (1pt per player)

1st trbb (p) 37,270 9pts

2nd SHiNjide (p) 27,720 8pts

3rd McKong (p) 21,690 7pts

4th JK40001 (p) 21,450 6pts

5th adam242 (n) 12,610 5pth

6th ballyalley (n) 9,690 4pts

7th akator (n) 9,450 3pts

8th roadrunner (n) 2,050 2pts

9th bluecat (p) 1,900 1pt

Still worth checking out the Led Zeppelin A8 Demo

Please check your levels(scores) ;)