IGNORED

Any rare Coco tapes here?

rebooter

I never owned a Coco back in the day but found two lots recently in my area at prices I couldn't resist, with the latest having a number of tape titles. Unfortunately the tape drive doesn't work so I was going to put these on eBay but was wondering whether it was worth the trouble to piece any of them out, or just sell as one lot. I searched this forum and found that Coco rarity guides don't really exist, which I find odd because it was such a popular system.

This system also came with a Speech pak and I took the trouble to type in the basic code to make it talk and it sounds pretty good, better than "SAM" on the C64 in my opinion.

Edit: Orange tape on the bottom is Math Tutor

post-35444-0-53798000-1434045418_thumb.jpg

Edited by rebooter

I'd say *any* CoCo stuff is uncommon, relatively speaking. I wouldn't even try to collect tapes; I'd just rip audio files onto blank cassettes and call it a day.

Semi-related question: are there any utilities to convert disk images into audio to put on tape? I've got Drivewire but no actual disk system...lots of tapes, though, and I like loading physical media. :)

As you are seeing on eBay, original tapes in good condition (particularly ones not from Radio Shack) will draw some interest from the CoCo folks...

That said, I would dispute the notion that "*any* CoCo stuff is uncommon". There is always plenty of CoCo stuff on eBay, for example. Some specific items are a bit difficult to find, but that is true for about any old system.

As you are seeing on eBay, original tapes in good condition (particularly ones not from Radio Shack) will draw some interest from the CoCo folks...

That lot of five I posted from Computer Hut Software, I think those titles are actually Spectral Associates games rebranded(?) or bootlegged(?) or? When I Google those titles Spectral Associates is what comes up. Maybe I should update the auction listing to include that speculation.

I'd say *any* CoCo stuff is uncommon, relatively speaking. I wouldn't even try to collect tapes; I'd just rip audio files onto blank cassettes and call it a day.

Semi-related question: are there any utilities to convert disk images into audio to put on tape? I've got Drivewire but no actual disk system...lots of tapes, though, and I like loading physical media. :)

You can just CSAVEM filename,startadr,endadr

with any of the disk binaries that don't auto exec after loading (most of them) right from the CoCo; there are some peeks to get the start and end addresses... can do the same with the carts if you put scotch tape over the last edge connector on the cart.

• Like 1

That said, I would dispute the notion that "*any* CoCo stuff is uncommon". There is always plenty of CoCo stuff on eBay, for example. Some specific items are a bit difficult to find, but that is true for about any old system.

Except for some specific items, there's plenty of everything on eBay. Even Color Computer stuff, but there's still a lot less of it than Apple or Commodore or Atari stuff. And forget about finding Color Computer stuff in the wild.

Edited by BassGuitari

I have a bit of interest in Coco cassette games. I only have a few, the most recent being a CIB Pooyan but also have some interesting ones you don't see everyday like Death Trap and Starship Chameleon. I see Zaxxon in that pic, that's one I'd love to have because it's such a good port. I know you can get and play these games on other modern media but the collector in me just loves the originals.