IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast

You're right =(

I did play a whole lot of Sega Genesis, though (finally got a shell for my Everdrive), so that has to count for something, right??

They're all part of the Sega family, so you're fine. :) And get some time in with your DC later, belated birthdays are just about as good as on-time birthday celebrations. :)

It's the only post '95 console that I really like, and largely because of its weird and wonderful library. I still play Shenmue just to shop in the Tomato convenience stores. :)

I used to collect Dreamcast years ago and had a modded DC and many import games. One thing I do remember is playing Shenmue 2 on the DC and that was not a good experience. It constantly had to load as you explored the world due to the DC's limited memory. It's a good collector item, but not necessarily a good fit on the DC and I was happy to see they released it on the Xbox later. I still think the DC version of Soul Calibur is the best.

Edited by LiqMat

The Dreamcast is one of my favorite systems but I only actually own 2 non-burned games for the thing. I owned it when it was current and had 10 or so more but I got rid of it when I moved out. If the games came down a little I'd love to get more. Great games that aged very well. I did respect the holiday.

The Dreamcast is probably my favorite system that I've ever owned. I bought both a Japanese launch system and a US launch system, standing in line for the latter. Shortly afterwards, I got a job writing about video games for a commercial web site (it's defunct now) so through the entire run of the Dreamcast, I was right in the thick of things... I got to play basically *every* game for the system, got to go to all manner of Sega parties and events, as well as my first E3 the year when Sega brought 80 games with them. 80 games at one E3!

At one point I had a bunch of "protos" (we didn't call them that) and lots of weird promotional materials, but I sold most of them off over the years. I remember I traded my Shenmue 2 "proto" for a complete in box Neo Geo AES. Not sure what I got for the others, probably just money. I think I still have one proto on a GD-ROM that I saved for myself, but I have no idea where it is. I have a bunch of rare games because, well, I just kept them after reviewing them. But a few I bought towards the end of the system's life as well, when various places were clearing stuff out. Like I bought Project Justice new for $9.99. Most of the games I have I did buy; it's just the relative few that I reviewed that I got for free.

Sega was a cool company in that period as well. The US staff was a bunch of alternative types, and they knew how to throw a party. I remember one PR event was in NYC at this giant bar above a bowling alley, and they literally wheeled in about 150 standup arcade machines that had Dreamcasts installed with every single game available for the system at that time, plus more that were in various stages of development (complete with customized graphics for all the cabs). The whole production looked like it cost about a million bucks. But it was a fantastic party.

As for the system itself, I played my US system until it died... then I bought another one to replace it. My Japanese system I'm pretty sure is boxed up. Once working boot disks were developed, I no longer had a need for two systems. But technically, my second US system is still part of my entertainment center, though I haven't played it in a while now. I keep meaning to. Sucks that I forgot about 9/9!

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2

I'd like to get NHL 2k2 since it's the last game released for the Dreamcast, but there is absolutely no way I am paying $19 for a sports game. Why is it so expensive? Is it just because it's the last DC game, or is it rare, or what?

Its because it was the last game released in the USA, and there might not be nearly as many copies floating around as your average sports game on the system. Also, just because it's a sports game doesn't mean it can't be worth anything. Don't make that assumption about anything when it comes to collecting.

Still, $19 for a Dreamcast game is not really that much...

The Dreamcast probably has the highest ratio of games that cost more now than when they were currently released of any modern system, because of its weirdly skewed library (about 90% of the sales came from about 20% of the titles; the other 80% were all very limited runs, and a lot of them were crazy good games). NHL2K2 is worth less than half of what it originally cost. I wouldn't sweat buying that if I cared about having the last game for the system. (And maybe I will at some point.)

I really like the Dreamcast, it's easily my favorite modern system. I can't get into paying eBay prices for cd based games. It seems easier to spend the big money on pre crash games that are cib for some reason for me. I used to collect Dreamcast games, but I had much more fun selling them a few years later for crazy eBay money.

Edited by adamchevy

I remember buying mine on release day. My wife dragged me to Toys R Us ( they had some special deal so I got a free 2nd controller). I stood in line bought the Cast plus Sonic Adventure and Tokyo Extremem racer. Went back later that week to get 2 Mad Catz Guns and House of the Dead 2. I blew through like $600 in one week but never felt so satisfied. I was not a fan of the controller though especially since the Saturn was my choice before but I am happy now since I can plus my Saturn controller in now to play some Giga Wing 2 or Phantasy Star Online or Bomberman.

Side not lots of good titles still new and cheap Chu Chu Rocket for instance is very much fun and maddening for multiplayer.

I do have the Concept steering wheel we well and it increases the fun for Daytona and Crazy Taxi. It takes a bit to get used to it but it certainly makes the games a little more fun in my opinion.

Just the other day I soldered in a new console battery for mine. Also bought Cannon Spike and Record of Lodoss War this year (recently). Didn't care too much for Cannon Spike so far, and haven't tried Lodoss War yet.

Record of Lodoss War was an amazing game to play back when it was released. It's definitely aged but playable. Highly recommend you backup your save game though if you're playing a lot. I spent 3 months on the game and then one day the save game file was corrupt and I lost all my progress. Sometime in 2003 when that happened and it's probably the last game I invested so much time into, probably for that reason. The last time I had a tragic game save loss was Zelda on the NES. What a horrific feeling...

Yeah, game save loss can be a major buzzkill and a turnoff from going back to that game again. My Saturn went on the fritz during my original Resident Evil play session back in the day, and while the system recovered, my data did not and I never had the motivation to go back to the game (or the series, for that matter) since.

Fortunately, with the Dreamcast memory cards are cheap so it's easy for one to have a bunch on hand, and so it's easy to keep data backed up (two memory cards in one controller, just transfer data from one to the other). I think I clocked 40 or 50 hours into Record of Lodoss War and still had a bunch of things left to do. It's such a good game, definitely don't want to lose the data to it.

Not sure. I do know that if you have a broadband adapter (yeah, I know, not an ideal scenario to be considering), you can email yourself the save files for PC backup (and vice-versa when it's time to move the saves back to the Dreamcast). Or at least, it worked in 2006. Not sure about today. :lol:

They have an SD adapter for the DC, pretty sure you can transfer save files to and from it.

Saw some of that during a quick search but was more interested in having the SD Card in the VMU itself. Another idea is to get a DC controller to USB adapter and hook it into the PC so you can read and transfer the saves that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone take apart their modem attachment and wiring their own broadband in? I would imagine the cards needed could be adaptable but I was just curious if anyone has tried on that as well.

Your post made me hit the internet and I did some some old articles about that, but I did see this, which is neat.

I did the DC to PC years ago, this might be neat.

Edited by omegadot