IGNORED

Using 5200 with new chips before replacing power on-off stuck chip

dino999

There's a chip inside the 5200 which prevents the power button from working. If the AC adapter is plugged in, the power is on even before pressing the power switch and stays on even if the power switch is pressed.

If I were to replace all the socketed chips in a 5200, including the RAM chips. before replacing that broken power chip, would it destroy the new replacement chips? Can I avoid replacing the broken power chip?

I'm really confused by this question? Why not just replace the IC by the power switch and be done with it?

It seems to like WAY more work to replace all the other chips not to mention the cost + labor vs the single IC?

Sounds like a 2-port system with soldered "flip-flop" IC. The answer is No. it would not hurt the new IC's as long as you use the power cord as the "switch". I have run into perfect working systems that had a power switch spliced into the power cord which seemed to be for this purpose. Personally, I would just fix it. ;)

I'm really confused by this question? Why not just replace the IC by the power switch and be done with it?

It seems to like WAY more work to replace all the other chips not to mention the cost + labor vs the single IC?

If I can avoid soldering and screwing up something, I will. All the chips that are problematic for my system are socketed. Somehow by just testing my system, that flip-flop chip broke, and now the system remains powered on unless I unplug the cord.

Sounds like a 2-port system with soldered "flip-flop" IC. The answer is No. it would not hurt the new IC's as long as you use the power cord as the "switch". I have run into perfect working systems that had a power switch spliced into the power cord which seemed to be for this purpose. Personally, I would just fix it. ;)

Yes, this is a two port.

If I can avoid soldering and screwing up something, I will. All the chips that are problematic for my system are socketed. Somehow by just testing my system, that flip-flop chip broke, and now the system remains powered on unless I unplug the cord.

Yes, this is a two port.

Those fail pretty often and most 2-port consoles have that component soldered in. That's how i guessed. ;) I can understand the unwillingness of people to possibly destroy something not easily replaced, especially if they can still use it.

You can probably use it like that for decades.