IGNORED

Atari Jaguar vs 3do

JazGaming

Where are new coders of the 3DO ? Where are the 3DO new games ?

There's only really been one guy attempting to do 3DO homebrew as far as I am aware. Pretty basic stuff and I'm not even sure if he's still doing it now.

For a long time, the 3DO had the same issue as the Jaguar homebrew scene did with encryption. Unlike the Jaguar, the 3DO's encryption scenario wasn't cracked until relatively recently.

What also hurts the possibility of 3DO homebrew is the fact that there doesn't seem to be much of a die-hard fanbase like what you have with the Jaguar. That's going to make or break a homebrew scene. Few are going to bother spending the time making games for a platform when no one is going to play it.

The 3DO Zone (Zero) forums were really active at one point, but it's mostly a ghost town now with the same handful of individuals still making posts. Supposedly there is more activity on Russian forums, so if a truly worthwhile homebrew hits in the near future, it'll probably come from there.

It's unlikely we'll see high level homebrews on either Jaguar or 3DO anytime soon. We're only just now getting decent Sega Genesis and Super NES homebrews, and those are exponentially more popular.

Although the vast majority of Jaguar homebrews are technically modest at best, at least it is getting a decent stream of new software, so that's at least a little something for the community to hang its hat on. It also looks like it's hit or miss whether runs of certain games will sell out, which I know has made some developers hesitate supporting it again in the future.

It's interesting, but just like in their respective primes, the Jaguar and 3DO suffer as in-between systems in terms of homebrew support. They're both in this weird grey area of difficult to wrangle technology and lack of sizable (or deep pocketed) user bases to make it worthwhile to go all in for development on, like say something like the Sega Dreamcast or Neo Geo.

I'm looking forward to delving further into the Jaguar homebrew selection. I played Elansar for about an hour and it was okay, but had to give up until I got a memory card (which I now have). I'd be interested to know which homebrews are most worth pursuing, though I'll admit it is somewhat lamentable I have yet to acquire a 3DO CIB.

I'm looking forward to delving further into the Jaguar homebrew selection. I played Elansar for about an hour and it was okay, but had to give up until I got a memory card (which I now have). I'd be interested to know which homebrews are most worth pursuing, though I'll admit it is somewhat lamentable I have yet to acquire a 3DO CIB.

If you didn' t already know, Telegames and Songbird releases aren't hombrew but late release commercial titles. Even if a couple Songbird titles could have had more play testing for bugs. Battlesphere was also a developer for Atari and their solo release is pro.

other than those other releases can be cosidered true homebrew even if commercial quality. MD games and Duranik brought out Impulse X which is a port of an Atari Falcon Arkanoid clone. It's def. commercial quality. Reboot has lots of releases, most of which might be considered mini-games, but then what is a game like Impulse X? But they are all high quality and free of charge downloads or buy true commercial quality release versions too.

Orion you have experienced. He has a platformer and sequal to Elansar for sale as downloads if you can't find released versions. Dr. Typo also has a couple high quality homebrews with Fallen Angels and Tube/S.E.

If you don't know, reboot has the PC side program JIFFY, by Reboot, for all your homebrew burning needs. Well and Duscjuggler too.

Edited by Gunstar

Reboot has lots of releases, most of which might be considered mini-games.

Now why would you say that?

Is sfdx, with its multiple worlds, unlockables, 30 plus minutes of music a mini game?

Is Beebris a mini game if it's based on possibly the most wide spread popular game of all time?

Would you call Scramble or Time Pilot mini games?

Rocketeer, with again multiple worlds, cut scenes etc.. is that a mini game?

Downfall has quite literally wasted days of people's lives playing it. Is that a mini game?

Or is some shit cart like checkered flag that you play for 10 seconds a real mini game?

It's kind of insulting you know.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

Is sfdx, with its multiple worlds, unlockables, 30 plus minutes of music a mini game?

Is Beebris a mini game if it's based on possibly the most wide spread popular game of all time?

Downfall has quite literally wasted days of people's lives playing it. Is that a mini game?

Or is some shit cart like checkered flag that you play for 10 seconds a real mini game?

The real question of course is "are you doing 3D in your games for the Atari Jaguar 64 bit multimedia blahblahlbah?". If the answer is "no" then your game is a minigame, and sub-par 8bit at that. Simple as.

• Like 5

It's unlikely we'll see high level homebrews on either Jaguar or 3DO anytime soon.

Yeah, there's only a full API with I/O, graphics, audio, etc... and a high level BASIC available.

Awaiting your contribution....

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 1

The real question of course is "are you doing 3D in your games for the Atari Jaguar 64 bit multimedia blahblahlbah?". If the answer is "no" then your game is a minigame, and sub-par 8bit at that. Simple as.

I think the real question is 'have you released anything yet?' - if the answer is 'No' then clearly it is the best thing ever, orders of magnitude greater than the greatest thing possible. If the answer is 'yes' then it must, by default, be a sub 8-bit mini game.

It's easy to big up vapourware and act like a H.E.R.O.

• Like 5

Well too damn bad if you feel insulted. I think you need a reading comprehension class myself! I said MOST, not ALL, and defended what I said were "considered" mini games with pointing out Impules X. I go out of my way essentually disagreeing with the notion of the mini game and YOU say I insulted you. Well go to hell!

But by todays standards the general gaming industry and public do consider all those to be mini-games and yes, all acient arcade games and every game on a console like the 2600 are all mini-games in comparison to most games from the last couple decades. So my vintage collection by todays standards is mostly mini-games. Just take Degz, for instance and compare it to Rayman or compare either to a world game like GTA V or Sega's Shenmue that actually has arcade games in the game, then honestly tell me by comparison, in the vacuum of only those examples, and tell me Degz wouldn't be a mini game in said comparison, even Rayman would be a mini-game from that perspective.

I don't expect a shenmue or GTA V for the Jag, but I do expect someday to see hombrew releases that are more than Degz. And yes, I would like to see more than 2D side scrollers. A hombrew like Fallen angels is a good base for a game that could be greatly expanded into a "BIG GAME". Do I expect such endeavers from the homebrew community? NO.

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah, there's only a full API with I/O, graphics, audio, etc... and a high level BASIC available.

Awaiting your contribution....

It's NOT a slight or an insult, it's merely a statement that there really haven't been commercial quality homebrew releases yet for the Jaguar, i.e., games that could have been released as/indistinguishable from stand alone commercial titles back in the day (and that's putting aside the generally poor quality of many original Jaguar releases). To be fair, that level of quality has mostly been reached on pre-Crash systems to this point for obvious reasons (although there are some notable exceptions on several post-Crash platforms, so that's starting to change), but that doesn't change the fairness of the statement.

The Jaguar homebrew releases to date have been appreciated, but they haven't necessarily been ambitiously scoped. Again, not a slight or an insult, just the reality of where things are. We need lots of small steps before the big steps can be taken. I suspect eventually we'll get there with titles that can match or exceed the best of what the commercial releases were from the Jaguar's original release. Many platforms eventually do, it's just harder on a platform like the Jaguar with a higher technological barrier to surpass and lower relative commercial incentive.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

Based on the commercial Jaguar releases, I think Another World is the most ambitious and fitting 'after life' title yet.

Feels as though it SHOULD have released on Jag bitd tbh, alongside Flashback & Pitfall etc.

Also, what about the likes of Philia & Elansar? Surely they're borderline commercial quality in their execution vs the standard of the medium available for the Jaguar commercially?

Whateverthefuckever, I'm really looking forward to Rebooteroids. No one, in the Jaguar forum disagrees. And, if they do, they're lying. Jaguar Forum Polygraph based Technology®

• Like 1

Based on the commercial Jaguar releases, I think Another World is the most ambitious and fitting 'after life' title yet.

Feels as though it SHOULD have released on Jag bitd tbh, alongside Flashback & Pitfall etc.

Also, what about the likes of Philia & Elansar? Surely they're borderline commercial quality in their execution vs the standard of the medium available for the Jaguar commercially?

Absolutely. Another World is the exception, of course, not the rule, but that's a perfect example of the type of creation that goes above and beyond what we usually get on the Jaguar in terms of homebrew (I have #87 by the way). I also have Elansar in my Jaguar homebrew collection (numbering 8 or so cartridges and CDs, some of which of course are just prototype releases), although I didn't bother to get Philia (maybe one day). I'm no fan of Myst-style games, including Myst itself, although I can understand why others like them. Regardless, relatively speaking, I'd definitely put Elansar in the "Jaguar commercial software" category.

Absolutely. Another World is the exception, of course, not the rule, but that's a perfect example of the type of creation that goes above and beyond what we usually get on the Jaguar in terms of homebrew (I have #87 by the way). I also have Elansar in my Jaguar homebrew collection (numbering 8 or so cartridges and CDs, some of which of course are just prototype releases), although I didn't bother to get Philia (maybe one day). I'm no fan of Myst-style games, including Myst itself, although I can understand why others like them. Regardless, relatively speaking, I'd definitely put Elansar in the "Jaguar commercial software" category.

While I agree that AW is a great release, I have to disagree on this: '...the type of creation that goes above and beyond what we usually get...'

The only 'creation' that went into the game (not the new engine, that's different) was done in the 90's. It's a PORT. Not a single new game play element was created.

Is Gauntlet II held to the same standards? Or is it conveniently forgotten because its just a .rom on a forum instead of in a box on a shelf? What about our upcoming Xenon II release? I can't make any claims to have created anything there other than making it work on the Jaguar. (And yes, it *IS* a lot of work, as both Seb and myself are fully aware)

Elansar, while also a nice game, can be completed in about 15 minutes.... how is that not also 'mini' by your definition ?

There's a very selective memory syndrome when it comes to homebrew releases.

Edited by CyranoJ