IGNORED

Atari 2600 3rd Party Games: Imagic or M-Network?

Shawn

Atari 2600 3rd Party Games: Imagic or M-Network?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Atari 2600 3rd Party Games: Imagic or M-Network?

• Imagic
    • M-Network
    • Don't Like Either

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I give a slight edge to Imagic on this one. I enjoy Demon Attack, Dragonfire, Cosmic Ark, and No Escape. M Network, I was a fan of Astroblast, Masters of the Universe, Lock n Chase, and Bump n Jump. I give m network credit on producing intellivision clone games on the VCS. I like original. So my vote is for Imagic.

• Like 1

Voted neither on this ONLY since I don't have any games from either of these two developers. But from what I heard Imagic sounds better.

Edit: Frogs and Flies is by M-Network? Is it possible to switch votes to m-network?

Edited by copper20
  • Haha 1

M-Network had some great titles, like Bump'n'Jump and Air Raiders two that I play frequently, but they also released the worst game (IMHO) for the 2600 in Burger Time. Astrosmash was awful as well. Those two titles are awesome on the Intellivision.

Imagic just produced quality pretty much throughout; Demon Attack, Cosmic Ark, and Atlantis are in my frequently played pile.

Edited by AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol

• 2 months later...

This is a tough one. I picked Imagic, but I think that M-Network is no slouch. They should probably get the nod, but their best work might have been in the 2 player only category which gets overlooked these days.

Regarding Imagic, I like the fact that Atlantis and Cosmic Ark fit together to tell a sort of story. Demon Attack is fine, but the elusive Subterranea pushes them over the top. I also like the cart design, manuals, and box art. Some other Imagic gems: Moonsweeper, Solar Storm, Laser Gates, and Dragonfire. I've never really taken the time to play Riddle of the Sphinx, but I will some day. Although they look very compelling, I can't really say the same for the M-Network sports titles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

M-Network.

Best Imagic games were produced for the Mattel Intellivision.

The best M-Network games were produced for the Intellivision. :P

My gut reaction was Imagic. I really only like a couple of their games (Subterranea, Solar Storm, Laser Gates) but overall their games stand out more to me than M-Network ones.

Then I remembered how awesome Bump 'N' Jump is, and even Burgertime, despite the awful graphics. Astroblast made great use of paddles. Air Raiders was a neat exclusive.

I'd like to cop out and say "both," but if I had to pick one, I guess it'd have to be Imagic.

I choose :

Hey Chavert and welcome to AtariAge

French language speaker here - I think the English word you are looking for is "both." It is "Les Deux" in French, but the direct translation doesn't make sense in English. "Both Companies" is the appropriate zing you are looking for.

Wongojack: Hey Chavert and welcome to AtariAge

French language speaker here - I think the English word you are looking for is "both." It is "Les Deux" in French, but the direct translation doesn't make sense in English. "Both Companies" is the appropriate zing you are looking for.

sorry, I'm a frogman.

• Like 1

Have to go with Imagic. Demon Attack, Atlantis, Dragonfire and Fathom were all games I enjoyed back in the day. However, I still possess my childhood copy of Super Challenge Football and it's one of my all time favorites.Imagic games had cool graphics with bright vivid colors. The sparkling treasures in Dragonfire looked so impressive on the 2600.

Demon Attack, while fun, gets old after a while IMO, but is one of the better Space Invaders/Galaxian/Galaga clones out there. 2600 version is better than any of the more "advanced" systems of the time. Other systems versions feature oversized and goofy looking sprites that aren't so difficult to hit comparatively. And the moon, planet and star field graphics only serve to distract in other versions IMO.

But Atlantis and Cosmic Ark - hell yeah! Excellent games that are extremely playable to this day. Love Dragonfire too. :love:

That said, I still stand by my M-Network vote. Game for game, I enjoy stuff like Dark Cavern (infinitely playable), Lock 'n Chase, Super Challenge Baseball and Tron: Deadly Discs moreso than the best Imagic offerings. Now where's Anteater been hiding all this time? Be nice if that ROM surfaced someday soon. :)

• 1 month later...