IGNORED

Holy Grails of collecting

If anybody's in for a far funnier tale of grail collecting gone wrong, and hasn't checked out the fake $20-30k english Aero Fighters 3 AES mess, I highly recommend it over at the Neo Geo forum. Honestly, I'm not sure if it really ever happened or if the whole thing was fake (because it seems a bit too over the top), but the end result was a brilliant tragic comedy that spread far beyond the confines of that community. Here's one of many topics on the subject that (like all the rest) quickly devolves into a popcorn-eating 'oh-snap' session.

I remember read it every chance I got Reaper. Was an amazing read to see what happened next! Still is.

Anthony...

• Like 1

There are many things that would classify as a "Holy Grail" in gaming on both the Game and the console side. It would depend on if we're talking in terms of how "good" it is or how "rare" it is. I have an unopened Bally Astrocade and I have a Neo Geo AES. They're by no means "Top of the Line" Holy Grail, but I think they'd be in the top 10.

I'd have to say THE Holy Grail for Gaming Consoles (in terms of Rarity Value) would have to go to the APF Imagination Machine. The last time I saw one on eBay, it sold for over $1,000 (I think it was close to $1,500). Either that, the Commodore 64 GS or the FM Towns Marty.

For the Atari, Pepsi Invaders. For the Nintendo, Stadium Events. You won't see any game for any other console go for as much as these two games.

Gold NWC is worth a lot. There's also Myriad 6-in-1 very few were released after they bought out Caltron (who went out of business), then Myriad went out of business too. I bet if a CIB version went up for auction, it'd end up worth 5 figures or more.

Back to the subject, those may be very rare but I won't consider them holy grail. I am not sch a die hard collector I need rare CIB games. I am more of game player and getting SD-cart or SD replacement for CD drive for every system is more to my taste (cheaper and less space too)

• 2 weeks later...

They don't call me TheObscureGamer for nothing :thumbsup:

The holy grail of consoles would have to be the RDI Halcyon without a doubt. less than 12 are know to exist and I don't even think it made it to retail.

Honorable mentions: Casio PV-1000.it was only released in Japan(which means that not everybody could get their hands on one), it was only sold in stores for about 3 weeks, not that much advertising, it was made by Casio of all people, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was not even sold in all the major retailers. I need to find my system but that would mean I would have to go through boxes of clothes, toys and crap.

Capcom CPS(Capcom Power System) Changer. Essentially Capcom's Neo Geo AES which was released in 1994 and only available through mail order, costed $447(10 of the 11 games costed half of that) and was discontinued in less than 2 and a half years. If the Neo Geo AES sold only 410 thousand worldwide then just imagine what a mail only console which only lasted 2 and a half years and was advertised less than the Neo Geo AES would sell(I'd imagine less than 100K).

Sega Mega Jet. This was made only for use on an airplane.The console was a controller and you hooked it up to the airplane's TV.Seeing as this was only made for airplanes only and not buy able for consumer use, who knows how many were taken home when they stopped using them or they when they sold them in a liquidation sale...

for handhelds it would be kinda tougher to locate but I'd say it's between the Gamate, R-zone, Mega Duck, Cougar Boy, SuperVision, or the Epoch Game pocket Computer...

Edited by TheObscureGamer

I just collect games that I actually want to play. The only exception is the random Atari 2600 game for a $1 that I don't have.

I was on the hunt for Castlevania Bloodlines but I finally scored one. Next I'm trying to find Shadow of the Ninja for the nes.

My ultimate would be a complete Stack Up set for the nes. That's the expensive grail that I most want! I love R.O.B. And Gyro ite and I would definitely play it, not just display it. It's the rare case where emulation can never do the game justice. That's the reason I was driven to collect for Vectrex as well.

I'd have to say THE Holy Grail for Gaming Consoles (in terms of Rarity Value) would have to go to the APF Imagination Machine. The last time I saw one on eBay, it sold for over $1,000 (I think it was close to $1,500).

There is an APF Imagination Machine including the keyboard add-on at The Personal Computer Museum where I work as a volunteer. I helped to get the console running in the museum after it was donated. You can see a pic of me with the console here.

I agree that the console is very desirable to collectors due to it's rarity. At the same time, it's not very exciting. The museum has 5 or 6 games and none of them are that great. As a Holy Grail collectors piece the APF Imagination Machine ranks high. As a fun console...not so much.

There is an APF Imagination Machine including the keyboard add-on at The Personal Computer Museum where I work as a volunteer. I helped to get the console running in the museum after it was donated. You can see a pic of me with the console here.

I agree that the console is very desirable to collectors due to it's rarity. At the same time, it's not very exciting. The museum has 5 or 6 games and none of them are that great. As a Holy Grail collectors piece the APF Imagination Machine ranks high. As a fun console...not so much.

That's cool. Most of the highly sought after consoles aren't very fun to play. The reason why they're sought after is because they're rare, the reason why they're rare is because very few people bought them, the reason very few people bought them is because there weren't enough (if any) good games for them. Just like a lot of the rare games. They're rare because they weren't mass produced and they weren't mass produced because very few people bought them and very few people bought them because they weren't good.

I don't really care about stuff that isn't actually fun to play. I don't want things just to have them. That said, I'd definitely put NWC (gold or grey, hell I aint picky!) at the top of my list. Besides the historical value, NWC actually is kind of fun to mess around with a couple buddies on. Get some beers and some 80s music and have yourself a retro gaming contest.

Out of all the really pricey gaming stuff out there, it's probably the one I would assign the most value to.

There are games that are somewhat expensive collector's items, but are prized by gamers for their high quality rather than their rarity, e.g. "Castlevania Rondo of Blood" for the Turbo Duo, "Radiant Silvergun" for the Saturn, and "MUSHA" for the Genesis. You're supposed to play these holy grails, not keep them sealed up and collecting dust.

Then there are games that people only care about because they're so rare and cost a small fortune, e.g. Atari 2600 "Air Raid".

That's cool. Most of the highly sought after consoles aren't very fun to play. The reason why they're sought after is because they're rare, the reason why they're rare is because very few people bought them, the reason very few people bought them is because there weren't enough (if any) good games for them. Just like a lot of the rare games. They're rare because they weren't mass produced and they weren't mass produced because very few people bought them and very few people bought them because they weren't good.

This. While there are desirable games and systems that are rare or cost an arm and a leg and are actually worth playing (many Trubo and Neo Geo games for instance), there is a lot of obscure crap out there that really isn't worth the effort, money, or shelf space to collect much less actually play. Especially considering some of the weirder Japanese imports. Edited by stardust4ever

Another "holy grail" for me,second to Air Raid would be to get all of the first wave of NES 1985 "black box" games factory sealed. Would love to have a clean copy of Legend of Zelda factory sealed too with the hang tab and H-seam intact. I would so frame that!

Also looking out for a sealed N64 Pikachu edition!!!!!!!!!

x6ct4l.jpg

:love:

• 4 weeks later...

For me,no doubt its the Neo Geo Hotel Unit & Pc-Engine LT and for arcade,Helifire/Space Firebird/Radar Scope/Sheriff/Red DK & Computer Space/Pong/Death Race/Maneater Fiberglass/Puck Man & Varkon/Baby Pac-Man/X-Men 6Player/Disc of Tron Environmental/Beast Buster SNK

Edited by VGC1612
  • Like 1

Rarity wise, I would like a Cromemco System Three.

To be honest, my holy grail is my Pentium build. It's solid, parts are easy to come by, it can run all of my favorite DOS games, it didn't have silly marketing like say a japanese girls system or three games, it doesn't cost $10,000, and it's got one of the biggest game libraries. I just can't go wrong with the thing!