IGNORED

The Most Over-Hyped Jaguar Games

Rick Dangerous

Yeah you have to go back in time to the age where your choices where SNES and Sega/segaCD, Jag AvsP was impressive right out the gate, same as Doom and wolf3d, plus Iron Soldier the issue was that the system went a year and had maybe 10 games come most where great looking, but checkered Flag and Crescent Galaxy(which to this day has my favorite screen shots) where close to un playable, Humans and Raiden looked like SNES games.

Then came Rayman the game that was suppose to be the Jags new mascot and save the Jag, then the game was delayed and showed up on Saturn and PS1 1st.

The next way over hyped game for Jag would be Fight For Life, Jags last official release that was suppose to be Jag's answer to Virtua Fighter and Teken.

I was a Jag fanboy I believed the hype I fought if Jag could get some fighters out and the promised MK3 it would give Jag 1 more year of life then it suddenly became a disk drive company and the ride was over

Impressive right out of the gate in graphics maybe, however we were looking at other games at the time in magazines that looked at least as good, and ran better. AVP is obviously impressive to look at when you're comparing 16 bit systems but The topic isn't about graphics, it's about overrated games. In the gameplay category, I feel that AVP on Jaguar falls short. Again, not that it's bad, but I'd call it overrated.

It's hard to judge AvP now.

I believe way back when it was impressive, but as it didn't age well we now think of it as overrated.

Another example: Tomb Raider.

When it came out on PS1 it was "da bomb", on PC with a 3DFx Voodoo it was all the more impressive, but nowadays it feels very dated.

Controls are stiff, and the simple fact that underwater you can simply use a "health pack" as a "breath of fresh air" tells you how approximate it really was, yet nobody could say that way back when it was overrated, it was simply amazing.

AvP is probably the same, it hit the sweet spot at the time it was launched, I actually got my Jag like 2Y ago or so because of it (I really wanted to see what the heck was it all about, and had cash to spare at the time) and given it didn't age well I was a little disappointed still I can see why it was something else in 1994.

• Like 2

I think when it comes to games you need to jump into the environment presented. Is A v P on par with current day Halo? No. But it is a game where you go around finding keys and shooting monsters. Still fun. And you get to choose the fun. For me it was the Predator that got me hooked, but at the end of the day it is the Marine that is the most dangerous.

But like you I got my Jaguar about 1999-2000 ish and I think I was hoping for the 2D side scroller of the same name in the Arcade. What I got I was like "Huh?" But over time it has been enjoyable. Of course for shooters I usually turn to Wolfenstein or Doom since you get more bang for buck, don't have to get as involved in the story or invest as much time as AvP.

And Wolfenstein and Doom have game saves that keep the enemies dead when you save the game, turn it off, and come back later.

Well, I think Doom has a game save. :P

And Wolfenstein and Doom have game saves that keep the enemies dead when you save the game, turn it off, and come back later.

Well, I think Doom has a game save. :P

DOOM doesn't have a manual game save. It will permanently unlock the farthest you have made it in the game, but it doesn't treat it like quick saving does in the PC version. Weapon and ammo counts are not saved so you basically have to start fresh with just the pistol regardless of what level you choose.

Wolf 3D does save weapons and ammo, but I don't remember if it saves your exact position on the map or if you are stuck at the beginning of each level when you reload.

Impressive right out of the gate in graphics maybe, however we were looking at other games at the time in magazines that looked at least as good, and ran better. AVP is obviously impressive to look at when you're comparing 16 bit systems but The topic isn't about graphics, it's about overrated games. In the gameplay category, I feel that AVP on Jaguar falls short. Again, not that it's bad, but I'd call it overrated.

Look if a game at the time of release delivers upon a 64 bit game of the time with a great new experience and was still a good enouth game that it exceed the sequels on ps1 and Saturn a couple years later...then it's not overhyped.

Did it age well....no

Is it after 20 YEARS number 1 game on system...no but I would put it in the top 10 of must haves....games that will show off the jaguar.

Myself favorite jaguar game is theme park.

But I wouldn't use it to show off system.

I think that you rrestated your question as overhyped by community and I will say the games that are hyped are the better ones.

20 years has made some games that where cutting edge play slow and clunky...and crazy enouth some of the stinkers at the time dragon and double dragon 5 seem like better games because u are no longer trying to prove to your friends that this jaguar that you bought that all the magazines make fun of for being 64 bit makes cool games.

Does it make fighters and sports games like what's ppoular in 95...nope a large selection of 3d space games and doom clones.

Which Jaguar games do you think get a ton of hype, but don't really live up to it for you personally?

For me AvP is the number one, for various reasons..

I would also say Skyhammer gets a lot of hype for its graphics but isn't overly interesting or fun to play.

What do you think?

I love SkyHammer, I think it's actually a VERY cool game. But you have to remember it's originally from a time when a game like that would be enthralling. The fact that it came out so much later from Songbird Productions is just kind of how it worked out... but I'm glad to have the opportunity to play it.

For myself, simply has to be Defender 2000...

Yes, i know how Atari interefered during games development, it switching from CD to Cart, Jeff's Father sadly being unwell etc etc and the mythical status Jeff holds, but it simply was'nt anything special, Jeff was'nt the person to attempt a 2000 version of, after his earlier ST attempts at Defender 2 etc and lacked any of the flair Tempest 2000 had.

I say this as someone who paid damn good money for it on day it was released.

Skyhammer? sadly never played, looks technically impressive, but have heard mixed thoughts on game itself.

Defender 2000 seems to be one of those games that people either really love, or really hate. I'm a HUGE fan of Defender 2000... I love that game. I think the graphics are awesome, the playability is awesome, the music is awesome, the sound effects are awesome... and quite honestly, I think it's superior in flair to Tempest 2000. HUUUUGE fan of Defender 2000. Hands down, one of the best games out there on the Jaguar. For me it's a MUST-HAVE.

For the record, I also like the Protector games... they feel different, and I like them just a well, but when I want constant crazy-action... Defender 2000 gets me there.

in the present:

[1] Atari Karts. Usually gets positive mention whenever I see comments on it. I think it's garbage.

[2] Iron Soldier 2. I like IS1 but while IS2 looks better I couldn't get into it.

[3] Battlesphere. It's a decent game, but people have really blown it out of proportion.

[4] Towers II. Find it practically unplayable.

Not going to bother mentioning incomplete games like Songbird or B&C releases.

In regard to AVP, I never got into the marine mode, and given it was the first mode I played and got like 6 hrs into, I really couldn't see why it was so well liked for years. After I played the predator mode it changed my mind though... not amazing game but still alright.

Love Atari Karts, like Iron Soldier 2, but totally agree with you on 3 and 4. I think Battlesphere is good on the Jaguar, but when it really comes down to it, it feels like a ghetto Wing Commander, except without a decent plot.

Towers II... I feel bad hating on it... but yeah, it feels almost totally unplayable. I wish it played more like Underworld. Graphics aren't horrible... but just like Battlesphere, there doesn't seem to be any kind of plot.

Look if a game at the time of release delivers upon a 64 bit game of the time with a great new experience and was still a good enouth game that it exceed the sequels on ps1 and Saturn a couple years later...then it's not overhyped.

Did it age well....no

Is it after 20 YEARS number 1 game on system...no but I would put it in the top 10 of must haves....games that will show off the jaguar.

Myself favorite jaguar game is theme park.

But I wouldn't use it to show off system.

I think that you rrestated your question as overhyped by community and I will say the games that are hyped are the better ones.

20 years has made some games that where cutting edge play slow and clunky...and crazy enouth some of the stinkers at the time dragon and double dragon 5 seem like better games because u are no longer trying to prove to your friends that this jaguar that you bought that all the magazines make fun of for being 64 bit makes cool games.

Does it make fighters and sports games like what's ppoular in 95...nope a large selection of 3d space games and doom clones.

Why is it that people disagree with my comment on AVP being overrated, but post comments confirming my point.

- "was still a good enough game" - Considering the options, I agree with it being good enough for the Jaguar. Imagine buying Checkered Flag at launch....

- "Did it age well....no" - If a game does not age well, Is it so far fetched to call it overrated? Take a look and Doom. It was great then, great today and will be great 20 years from now.

- "I would put it in the top 10 of must haves....games that will show off the jaguar" - It is also on my top 10 Jaguar games, but what does that really say about Jaguar games in General. Had it been released as is on the N64, it wouldn't make my top 100 list.

and as someone else here said:

- "the clunky controls and the sluggish rate of play. Had this been given the 1.5 tune-up it deserved across Saturn & PS1 (speed, controls, general fine tuning) the attitude towards this game would still be, unanimously, very good" - I agree!

Once again, I don't think of AVP as a bad game, just overrated!

Edited by NearCry
  • Like 1

Once again, I don't think of AVP as a bad game, just overrated!

I disagree, I think the game is great. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well... it also had clunky controls, and didn't play well. But would still be in my 10 Jaguar games.

AvP just has a bad framerate. It actually appears to 'run' better during the Alien campaign, as the movement is faster and smoother. Not sure why the movement is so sluggish during the most important campaign, the Marine. My eyes need a bit of an adjustment period if I play the Space Marine campaign, and once they adjust to the awful framerate it's still just as fun as the day I bought it back on launch day.

I disagree, I think the game is great. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well... it also had clunky controls, and didn't play well. But would still be in my 10 Jaguar games.

See, this is the type of comment that would otherwise baffle me if it wasn't so expected here when making a claim that AVP may not be gaming's holy grail.

- "it hasn't aged well"

- "it also had clunky controls"

- "and didn't play well."

Yet, somehow the game is great?

See, this is the type of comment that would otherwise baffle me if it wasn't so expected here when making a claim that AVP may not be gaming's holy grail.

- "it hasn't aged well"

…yes. For_a_Jaguar_game. ;)

- "it hasn't aged well"

Hah... my post was sarcasm. I quoted almost exactly what you had said that others had said.

But truth be told... I like the game, on the Jaguar. If that makes sense. It's not the best game in the world, but when I play games on a system, some of the enjoyment I get out of it is understanding that I'm playing a "retro" system. Like... the Atari 2600. Every game on the 2600 is horrible by any standard at this point, but I really enjoy playing them. Same goes with AvP. It's definitely not my favorite game on the Jaguar... but I'd probably put it in my top 15. Wouldn't make my top 10 though.

"Every game on the 2600 is horrible by any standard at this point, but I really enjoy playing them"

Well said. And it applies to many 8 bitters ;-) and some 16 bitters too ;-)

Around 1Y ago or so I bought myself a Vectrex, that's right ..... "because I'm worth it" ... or simply because I was fascinated by it, still am but ....
once my wife saw me playing the thing she said ...

"oh ...

my ....

god ....

is that why you don't play your Wii U"

add 15 minutes of staring disbelief !!!!!!

'nough said.

She's been on my case ever since, the only retros she kind of tolerates are from the Dreamcast onwards ... go figure! She's a huge Halo fan and she kicks my ass all the time we're playing. She drag my ass around on co-op mode like there's no tomorrow, I just get too bored on some of the levels.

• Like 1