IGNORED

Atari Disk Editor Advice Wanted

ballyalley

I wish I could remember more details about the sector editor I used 20 years ago. It was really great, easy to use, and I remember it had a function where you could XOR an entire sector with a value, and then easily flip forward or backward through sectors looking for hidden data.

IIRC, the title on the top of the screen of Rainbow DOS DUP.SYS is protected in such a way. I was easily able to find and change it using that sector editor.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about sector editors, and many helpful people provided links. I tried them all, but couldn't find the one I had back in the day.

Kyle22, I don't know about that other thread of your's but so far Analog's DiskMaster hasn't been mentioned yet. It was the only I knew about for years and still haven't tried these others. In addition to XOR it shows the text form as internal or standard atascii too, quite nice to toggle thru sectors looking for such encoded titles and text prompts in programs.

July 89 ANALOG disks has the file and sources.

Issue 74 has the instructions.

• Like 1

I wish I could remember more details about the sector editor I used 20 years ago. It was really great, easy to use, and I remember it had a function where you could XOR an entire sector with a value, and then easily flip forward or backward through sectors looking for hidden data.

IIRC, the title on the top of the screen of Rainbow DOS DUP.SYS is protected in such a way. I was easily able to find and change it using that sector editor.

I started a thread a couple of years ago about sector editors, and many helpful people provided links. I tried them all, but couldn't find the one I had back in the day.

You sure that's not the Disky II I keep mentioning? (grey screen)

I didn't alter Diskwiz II so it could read past sector 720. It just does.

So many of these editors have similar names - maybe we have them mixed up. My Diskwiz II is from Allen Macroware.

Bob

Disk Wizard II (C.A.P. Software) the one that the manual has been posted for ;)

I still prefer Disky II's editing and ease of use (not sure if there is a manual but I have some notes somerwhere that I will post)

There isn't much information (or even mention) about "Disky II" that I could find on the Internet. How did you run into this program? I'm looking forward to any notes that you provide.

Well done ballyalley for starting this thread

I creep out from the HSC forum sometimes just so that I don't let on just how good I am at videogames. I can't let anyone know that soon I'll be Supreme Master of the Atari High Score Club. Ah, come on! A guy can dream, right?

[This thread] inspired me to start messing around with editors and dissassembling again :thumbsup:

I find that playing with these utilities on the Atari is just as fun, for me, as playing games in the High Score Club. In fact, it's probably even more fun! I'm going to start a club of my own and it's going to called The Atari Utility High Score Club. Once I work-out how scoring will work, then I'll ask Albert for a sub-forum. Or not.

• Like 1

so far Analog's DiskMaster hasn't been mentioned yet.

I played around with "Disk Master" at the end of 2014. Here's a picture of it:

post-4925-0-05109000-1435345217_thumb.gif

I separated "Disk Master" and the 6502 source code for the program from the ANALOG disks and placed them on a DOS 2.0s disk. The disk isn't autoboot capable, but it's handy to use:

Disk Master with Source Code (Atari DOS 2.0s)4 Drives.atr

I also took the instructions from the manual and put them into a pdf file:

Disk Master (1989)(Analog Computing 74 1989-07)Manual Only.pdf

Finally, if you want the actual ANALOG disks with "Disk Master," then here that is:

ANALOG Computing (1989 July - Side A).atr

ANALOG Computing (1989 July - Side B).atr

These Disk Editors suggestions are so neat, and prove just how varied every Atari user's tastes are when it comes to using their own computer.

• Like 6

Disky II was one of those in my collection, I had used Disk Wizard II for a while but this was so much easier for editing disk sectors [single key press operations] - After changing text, I mainly used to add extra lives.

post-19705-0-28606900-1435362676_thumb.png

I've been through my Atari stuff but no luck so I've created a new summary:

A Ascii Search (prompts for "FMS Y/N", excludes searching the sectors 126-128)

C Copy from Sector

D Dec Value (converts to hex)

F Format (prompted to confirm. single density only)

H Hex Value (converts to decimal)

M Modify (Use Tab to move cursor. Start to exit. Prompted to write)

N New Sector #

R Read Sector

S Hex Search

W Write

X Hex Mask (enter 00 to clear)

- Read Previous Sector *

+ Read Next Sector *

* The neat thing is you can double tap the key and the sectors will keep reading until you press a key.

BREAK aborts any prompts

RESET aborts all commands but does not re-read the sector or clear any masks.

If anyone does patch Disky II (or Disk Wizard II) for 1050 enhanced density and formatting that would be welcomed. I'll stick my neck out and say I'd be suprised if the others are as good ;)

I've got another one with some unusual features somewhere (will see if I can find it).

p.s.

Checkout sector #49 :-o

Edited by therealbountybob

Thanks 1050, Disk Master is the closest thing I've seen to what I remember, it's probably it. It looks like it wouldn't take me too long to get back in practice with it. Now, if someone could sector copy the Rich Man's 80 Column Word Processor... It has a nasty protection, but IIRC, it only involved removing a segment that the main file was appended to. It may not even be that program, but it somehow rings a bell. I know I had a cracked copy, and I'm pretty sure I cracked it :)

I know this is not an answer to the question from the original poster, but...

For doing this sort of work, I find the Unix tools that are freely available infinitely faster and more flexible than trying to do this sort of work through the Atari. Specifically:

Remove the ATR header from a disk image:

dd if=disk.atr of=disk.img bs=16 skip=1

Slice the first sector off of disk.img and put it in sector1.bin:

dd if=disk.img of=sector1.bin bs=128 count=1

Dump out the contents of sector1.bin as hex digits and text:

hexdump -v -C sector1.bin

Disassembly 6502 code from sector1.bin, using 0x600 as the base address:

da65 -S 0x600 sector1.bin

(da65 is part of the cc65 C compiler.)

If you want to post a specific .ATR file or include a URL to it, I will walk through the steps I would use to disassemble it in more detail.

• Like 1

@ therealbountybob (or anyone else who knows)-

What kind of disk is this with "DISKY II"? Is this something like "TRAKSTAK" (I think that was its name) where you can put several boot programs on a disk (and no Dos-type directory? Don't believe I've run across one like this before, although I'm not a game player, so that may be part of the reason.

-Larry

I personally always used Dr. Disk XL as a disk editor. Coding ASM by hand to the max. My favourite :thumbsup: Used it to crack 'Movie Maker' from EA for instance.

Download: http://atarionline.pl/utils/6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek/Dr.%20Disk%20XL/Dr.%20Disk%20XL%20v1.0%20%281990%29%28Game-Killer%20soft%29%28US%29.xex?PHPSESSID=5bbd6680c910671f9f5bfdc6e63fcc6b

Kudos: Christian Klimm

Movie Maker had an entertaining protection. The data of the program were masked and written in reverse order to each sector. I found a loophole to add some code to dump the desired memory, and so I found the disk-protection.

Boy.... I miss my 8bit machine ... :D

Edited by SteveZipp
  • Like 2

Attached are some disk-editors from my collection, as well as some ML-monitor programs and disassemblers...

Thanks for posting these these Atari disks. Since it helps to have a rough idea of what utilities are on each disk, I booted each one and made a directory listing:

1) DisAsm.zip. This is an Atari DOS 2.5 disk. It contains:

DOS SYS 037

DUP SYS 042

DISASS COM 037

DISASM BAS 047

MEMDUMP BAS 049

QUNASS COM 015

DEBUG COM 049

BBKMAST COM 066

365 FREE SECTORS

2) Disk_Edi.zip. This is a Turbo-DOS XE disk. It contains:

DOS.SYS

DUP.SYS

HYPDISK.COM

HDISK2.COM

HAPMAST.COM

HMASTER.COM

MEMER.COM

MEMER.DOC

CODEBUST.COM

CODEBUST.HLP

SECSPY.COM

LOOKER.COM

BBKMAST.COM

BLACKDSK.COM

039 FREE SECTORS

3) Moni.zip. This is an Atari DOS 2.5 disk. It contains:

DOS SYS 037

DUP SYS 042

SYSMONI COM 012

SYSMONI TXT 014

ATASYS COM 052

MONITOR COM 059

MC6502 COM 064

BAERLY COM 035

HSMON COM 029

HSMON TXT 040

HAP1MON COM 053

HAP2MON COM 053

BBKMON COM 035

MICROM BAS 125

057 FREE SECTORS

I have I didn't know how to send the directory to the p: device using Turbo-DOS XE, so I retyped the contents of that disk. Do any of the programs on these three disks (that haven't been talked yet) ring any bells with people from using them in the past?

I used DISKSCAN by David Young, but I had to hack it a little to allow editing enhanced density disks (1040 sectors instead of 720). It included a disassembler and assembler to work over 125/128 bytes disk sectors. Running it with TurboBASIC XL is not as painful ;)

But I also used my own tools to search for XOR'ed texts and edit them directly on disks... :twisted:

Thanks for posting these these Atari disks. Since it helps to have a rough idea of what utilities are on each disk, I booted each one and made a directory listing:

2) Disk_Edi.zip. This is a Turbo-DOS XE disk. It contains:

DOS.SYS

DUP.SYS

HYPDISK.COM

HDISK2.COM

HAPMAST.COM

HMASTER.COM

MEMER.COM

MEMER.DOC

CODEBUST.COM

CODEBUST.HLP

SECSPY.COM

LOOKER.COM

BBKMAST.COM

BLACKDSK.COM

039 FREE SECTORS

I have I didn't know how to send the directory to the p: device using Turbo-DOS XE, so I retyped the contents of that disk. Do any of the programs on these three disks (that haven't been talked yet) ring any bells with people from using them in the past?

Well,

actually Disk_Edi.zip are three disks/disk-images, take a look !

Hmm, afaik "! DEV" redirects the output to another device, thus DIR !P: should output the directory to the printer (not tested since I do not use an A8 printer). But there are also lots of external programs which can print a disk directory...

The following programs are by BBK-Software (Bryan Schappel and Barry Kolbe) and I do have some english docs available:

-Debug+

-BBK Mast

-BBK Mon

The Hypra-Disk editor came from the german Compyshop magazine (just like Hypra-Soft Basic). The earlier and shorter one has only ATASCII and Internal available, the later and longer one also has HEX available - press Control-I (i like information) to see all available keys and key-combos.

Happy-Master (1050 or Quad+) was NOT released by american Happy Computers NOR by german Happy Computer magazine, it appeared on several german disk-magazines, e.g. Abbuc magazine. Looks like there are several slightly different versions available (also see atarionline which has even more versions). Press the HELP key on XL/XE computers or Control-H to get some on-screen help.

Looker will take a look into the A8 memory, so it is not really a disk editor...

The ML-monitors on the above attached image (except BBKMON) are type-in listings from german magazines. For most of them I do have docs, but I am too lazy to a) type them in and b) translate them into english... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

actually Disk_Edi.zip are three disks/disk-images, take a look !

Thanks for pointing that the Disk Editing software archive has five disks, not three of them. When I pointed the Altirra to the zip file, it automatically opened only the first disl. I took a much closer look at all five of these disks to see what is on them. I've loaded every program, and I've done my best to list the proper title (and program author or publisher) of each one. Let's get started:

1) DisAsm.zip contains DISASM.ATR (an Atari DOS 2.5 disk). It contains:

1. DISASS COM 037 - "Antic Disassemble!" by David Kibler. From "ANTIC," Vol. 7, No. 7 (November 1988). This was a disk bonus program.
  2. DISASM BAS 047 - "Dis-Assembler" by Maurice Elliott.
  3. MEMDUMP BAS 049 - "Memory Dump/Disassembler" by Robert W. Baker (Compute! #10, page 80). Adapted For 80 Column Printer. 1/4/81. Modified to dissassemble disk sectors. 1/83 M.Huss.
  4. QUNASS COM 015 - "JBW's quick unASsembler v 1.5."
  5. DEBUG COM 049 - "DEBUG+" by Bryan Schappel.
  6. BBKMAST COM 066 - "Disk Master" © 1989 by: Barry Kolbe and Bryan Schappel. Produced for: A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing.

2.1) DISKEDI1.ATR contains:

1. HYPDSK COM 038 - "Hypra-Disk 1.1" ©1988 by U. Roeder. Press "I" or Control-I to load info scroller.
  2. HDISK2 COM 105 - "Hypra-Disk 1.3" ©1989 by U. Roeder. Same author, same keys. Press "I" or Control.HAPMAST COM 080 - "Happy-Master 1050+" Version 4.0. Created on 25.07.92 by B.Kloss. Press the <Help> key or try Control+H.HMASTER COM 082 - "Happy-Master Quad+" Version 4.2. Created on 07.04.93 by B.Kloss. Special thanks to M. Luedtke. Again same author, same keys. HELP or CTRL+H.MEMER COM 012 - "Memer" Version 1.0 by Pytek/Tight. Bonus side '96.
  3. MEMER DOC 013 - German documentation for "Memer" 1.0 by Pytek/Tight.
  4. CODEBUSTCOM 081 - "Codebuster!" by Tom Wells. Codebuster is a delightful tool for the experienced ATARI hacker. It is a disassembler that will load any DOS file into a buffer and display the contents as ASCII, hex, or 6502 instructions. It will write out this same file as a binary load file. More than one file may be loaded into the buffer and then rewritten out as one combined file. It will read boot files, but it won't write out boot files. Press "?" for short overview or type "HELP" for online manual.
  5. CODEBUSTHLP 071 - Complete English documentation for "Codebuster!" by Tom Wells.
  6. SECSPY COM 020 - "Secspy" - From top line of program screen: "von Oliver Redner © 1989" Press "ESC" for a small help menu.
  7. LOOKER COM 011 - "LOOKER" VER.0.1 © 1993 by Krzysztof Przybyszewski. The title screen also contains the infoscreen.
  8. BBKMAST COM 066 - "Disk Master" © 1989 by: Barry Kolbe and Bryan Schappel. Produced for: A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing. Special Note: Read the manual in Analog mag or read the (upgraded) Diskmast.DOC manual here.
  9. BLAKDSK COM 018 - "BLACK DISK." No programmer information is listed in this program (while running) or in the hex dump of the program itself (unless there is some hidden or ATASCII text). A demo version of the Blackdisk diskeditor. No docs available.

2.2) DISKEDI2.ATR contains:

1. HACKBUCHCOM 038 - "Hackerbuch" L&M Soft ©1987. Google translates "Hackerbuch" as "Hacker Book." This suggests that the program is German, but the program (and the text in the program's hex listing) is all in English. Does anyone know the source of this program?
  2. WATSONDDCOM 071 - This disk editor has a nicely setup screen, but I have no idea what the program is called, nor how to use it. I examined the hex of the program and there is plenty of English text in it, so it's probably English (or a translated utility). The filename leads me to think that this program may be called something like "Watson DD" or "What's on Double Density," but these are my own made-up names. Any idea what this program is called?
  3. DSKDOC COM 061 - "Disk-Doctor" v2.0 by Ewald Arnold. August '87. No other details. The text in the hex listing of the program all seems to be in German.
  4. DSKED TXT 011 - A short help file about the programs on the disk. The name of the file is called "Info to the Disk-Editors."
  5. DISKMASTCOM 076 - An upgraded version of "BBK Diskmaster" by Barry Kolbe and Bryan Schappel. Upgrade routines and manual by Lee Barnes. Simply read or print Diskmast.DOC. [Note: I couldn't get this updated version of "DDK Diskmaster" to load properly under DOS 2.0S and it crashes when loading from Turbo-DOS XE-- the DOS which is on the disk.]
  6. DISKMASTTXT 137 - Updated documentation for the updated version of "BBK Diskmaster" by Lee Barnes.
  7. DRDISK COM 132 - "DR. DISK XL" Version 1.0. Copyright 1985, By Christian Klimm.
  8. HACKDISKCOM 013 - "Mirage Disk Hacker" v1.1. 1995 Szymon Soft. This seems to be a Polish utility created to copy (and hack?) games created by Mirage Software, such as "Axilox" and "Caveman" (and maybe others by them too).
  9. DISKEDI BAS 033 - "DiskEditior" by unknown author. This is a BASIC program without any documentation. The user seems to have to choose commands from a menu in German.
  10. HELP BAS 059 - "Disk - Help" by Arthur Dent (presumably a pseudonym). Copyright 1987. No docs. The main program menu seems quite simple. It allows the user to choose from Reading Directory, Convert DOS II, Copy File, Copy Disk, Modify sector, and Formatting Disk. Nearly all of this is easily accomplished from DOS, so perhaps there is more to this BASIC program.

2.3) DISKEDI3.ATR contains:

1. DISKED COM 254 - "Disk-Editor" Ver. 2.0 by N. Hagemann. 1987. German. No Docs.
  2. HACKER COM 018 - "Hacker." A program from Poland. The main menu has the following choices (in Polish; translated by Google Translate): Uploading program, Browsing program, Search within bytes, Change program, Record program, Back to the system. No docs.
  3. HEXEDIT COM 038 - "MALs Hexadecimal Sector Editor." On the utilitiy's first screen it states, "© ATARI 10.3.1980." This is an early program. Does anyone know what "MAL" means? No Docs.
  4. SUPEYE COM 019 - "Super Eye" by JBW softwork, KMC software and CHAOS software. © 1987. No docs.
  5. SZP2DYSKCOM 150 - "Szperacz dyskowy" Ver. 1.0. by L. Pasternak. © 1992. Avalon. Google translates this Polish utility as "Searchlight Disk." No docs.

3) Moni.zip contains MONITOR.ATR (an Atari DOS 2.5 disk). It contains:

1. SYSMONI COM 012 - "Atari System Monitor" by Tom Walters. This is a 6502 monitor program for all Atari 8 bit computers. The docs claim that this ML monitor is superior to the program found on the "Assembler/Editor" cartridge. It also says that it is a good program for beginning machine language programmers.
  2. SYSMONI TXT 014 - Instructions for "Atari System Monitor" by Tom Walters.
  3. ATASYS COM 052 - "ATASYS" by Stefan Scherer. The commands that are available are listed before the program begins, but no explanation of them is given.
  4. MONITOR COM 059 - "Atari - Monitor" 1986 by ECHR and DIMP. No docs.
  5. MC6502 COM 064 - "MC - Monitor 6502" Ver. 2.0 © 1988 by F.Gabler. Creativ-Soft. No docs.
  6. BAERLY COM 035 - "BAERLY'S Monitor" by Gerald Petrasch. No docs. This program gives no indication at all on how to use it.
  7. HSMON COM 029 - "HS 6502-Monitor" © 1985. Unknown Author.
  8. HSMON TXT 040 - German documentation for "HS 6502-Monitor." The docs state that the programmer of "HS 6502-Monitor" is no known.
  9. HAP1MON COM 053 - "MASTERMON" 2.0. ©1985 by Thomas Fischermann.
  10. HAP2MON COM 053 - "MASTERMON" 2.0a. ©1985 by Thomas Fischermann.
  11. BBKMON COM 035 - "The BBK Monitor," by Brian Schappel and Brarry Kolbe. From "ANALOG" magazine #51 (Feb 1987).
  12. MICROM BAS 125 - "MicroMon / Basic-Loader." by Freak. 1986. No docs. This seems to be a machine language program that is run using a BASIC loader and many, many data statements. I couldn't get the program to continue after the statement "Load-Routine saven ..."

The ML-monitors on the above attached image (except BBKMON) are type-in listings from german magazines. For most of them I do have docs, but I am too lazy to a) type them in and b) translate them into english...

Since I listed the titles of the program names, is there any chance that the publications could be listed? I'd like to see the magazine name, issue and year the program was released for magazine programs (when known). There's no need to translate the documentation. If someone wants to use a program, then knowing where it comes from is most of the battle. The rest is usually just reading the docs, but in many of these cases it means using Google Translate to help. Without it, I would have not been able to understand most of these disks. I've always known that there is a huge amount of games and utilities written in other languages besides English, but this is the first time I've tried to actually use them, or (at least) know the source of them. Finding that information isn't easy, but sometimes even discovering the title of a program is hard to do too.

Going through these five utiltiy disks took plenty of time, but it was absorbing, challanging and, luckily!, quite fun! Checking all of these programs on a real Atari would have taken a long time. Without the "Altirra" emulator, I would not have combed these utilties so closely.

I had no idea that this thread would become so involving to me-- and (it seems) to others too. Thanks to everyone for sharing the disk editors and other programs that they have used (or continue to use) on their Atari computers.

• Like 1

Ballyalley,

2.2) DISKEDI2.ATR

5. DISKMASTCOM 076

was built wrong and is defective, it was never released as an executable. Current notes published it and it's archived in the UMICH archives as that release in the LANGUAGE folder - DISKMOD.ATR. The zipped file below is that same DISKMOD.ATR file where I have gone ahead against the advice of my bigshot lawyer and inserted the working executable, hope analog doesn't sue me. Don't EVEN tell current notes about it, let's see if we can't keep this on the hush, hush, down low.

DISKMOD.zip

Well,

it will take me some time to get (collect/search for) all the information you are requesting. More than a week for sure... ;-)

Besides, I am collecting stuff, I am no programmer and a very slow typist; whenever there is an A8 program which I do not have, I will add it to my collection, if I have a written doc. or manual I will add it too. Alas, I do have hundreds if not thousands of A8 programs without any docs... but even if they appear useless without docs (especially tool/application programs), I still collect them.

-----

In the meanwhile, I have taken a look at Diskmaster, mod. by Lee Barnes, and the program simply did not have any RUN or Init adress, so it could not start. Since I am a bloody amateur when it comes to changing programs, I only looked at start and end adresses which were approx. $3000-5xxx and so I added a RUN adress of $3000 - now the program executes and you can see the Start screen. Have not tested if the program will work fully correct or if only a few things work or if it does not work at all... it starts and that was it for me.

Blackdisk is a german program, !think! it was written by Karsten Schmidt (also known under his pseudonym Chip Special Software, he is the programmer of The Brundles), do not know if there ever was a full version available.

Watson is a polish program, available in various versions, think I kept only the version which could read DD/180k. Other versions are available e.g. here: a) Watson II: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Watson%20II#Watson%20II

b) Turbo-Watson: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Turbo-Watson#Turbo-Watson

and in one or more forum topics at atarionline.pl Think the name Watson here refers to a) Sherlock Holmes partner Dr. Watson... and b) (like you already stated) you use the program like a detective, to find out what`s on the diskette...

Help.BAS is a type-in listing from german Happy Computer magazine, originally programmed in 1984, but released in issue 8/1985 (August 1985) of Happy Computer, pages 71-73; the original version can only read/edit/copy 90k/720 sectors, change this everywhere in the program to 1040 and it will read/edit/copy a 130k disk.

Happy Mon by Thomas Fischermann was a type-in listing from german Happy Computer - Atari special magazine, it was available in two versions, one version for DOS 2.0/2.5 and one version for DOS XL.

Micromon was a type-in listing from the german magazine Computer Kontakt, it was made for the data-recorder. When two count-downs have reached zero (which takes quite a long time under Atari Basic, not so long under Altirra Basic) it will try to save the ML-data to a boottape. I did put the program on this disk/image, hoping that someone could change it in such a way, it will create a disk-file version instead...

HS-Mon was a type-in listing from the german magazine Homecomputer (by Tronic-Verlag), issue 4+5/1986 (April+May 1986), pages 16-20, the author was not listed anywhere in the program nor in the magazine article/docs...

There was also a Monitor program in the german magazine HC-Mein Homecomputer (by Vogel-Verlag), but it was released in issue 12/1985 (December 1985), thus the 1986 copyright for Monitor.COM by ECHR and Dimp does not match, but maybe these guys patched the original program ?

Thats it for now...

Ballyalley,

2.2) DISKEDI2.ATR

5. DISKMASTCOM 076

was built wrong and is defective, it was never released as an executable. Current notes published it and it's archived in the UMICH archives as that release in the LANGUAGE folder - DISKMOD.ATR. The zipped file below is that same DISKMOD.ATR file where I have gone ahead against the advice of my bigshot lawyer and inserted the working executable, hope analog doesn't sue me. Don't EVEN tell current notes about it, let's see if we can't keep this on the hush, hush, down low.

attachicon.gifDISKMOD.zip

Well,

Diskmod loads the Diskmaster program (which is an executable) and then modifies it, when done it saves the modified version as an executable file... so what ?!? The download in the Umich archive is actually an ARC file, only by unarcing it you get the ATR image:

http://umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Languages/Assembly/

Here are some BBK docs online, at Bryan Schappel`s own homepage (the site has not been updated since 2008 it seems, so I do not know if he is still alive)... http://www.rts-software.com/8bit/

" so what ?!? " :)

Since the process outlined correctly involves the same memory area used by DUP.SYS, a DOS with working MEM.SAV feature is tantamount to the building of the modified file and have it all actually work. MyDOS 4.50 is broken in that regard and fails to create the proper end result file. Not only is it missing the run vectors but also several pages of code, it's badly made only because of a bug in MyDOS 4.50 and most people don't even know there is a bug here. Much less the change in the way MEM.SAV is implemented in MyDOS only - it's a vastly different concept and method of use. Sort of like trying to drive a car that doesn't have a steering wheel, most do not get the hang of it until vast amounts of typing to explain it all have transpired. And at the end of the day, how many times is this bug revealed? Pretty much once for you at least and a long time ago at that, I use this very build to test if the feature is working in MyDOS since I have no other examples for a valid MEM.SAV file test.

At the time I didn't know MyDOS 4.50 was defective in this manner - I was using 2.5 which has a valid MEM.SAV feature that properly builds the full file. I wouldn't start to use MyDOS for several years later. And then primarily only because of the one meg ramdisk I had installed came with only MyDOS altered for that use. 2.5 didn't do ramdisks that large but MyDOS did.

At the time I didn't know MyDOS 4.50 was defective in this manner

This is interesting to me because I use Atari DOS 2.0s and MyDOS 4.53. Does this memsav bug effect MyDOS 4.50 only, or MyDOS 4.5x? Thanks for pointing this out... even if I don't quite understand what the bug is doing-- in the end it's screwing up the memsav file, right?

Right, memsav doesn't work in 4.50, 4.51, or either flavor of 4.53/4. It has been fixed in 4.55 beta 4 at Mathy's MyDOS page though. 4.5x would include the only fixed one so I prefer not to use that particular wildcard. In addition to faulty memory capture of the wrong size one can not effectively even turn on the memsav feature properly, doubly insuring a failed attempt. In MyDOS one makes memsav state 'active' by loading a file with the N option, using the standard L LOAD file option kills the memsav active state. And this is exactly how you turn it on and off, you don't even have to load a file. Thus you can preserve your desired memsav file for when you NEED it instead having the DOS load and use it every time just because it's there as per other DOSes. YOU don't have to make it, that's MyDOSes job and it will do that if you just activate memsav state by pressing N, return and B to go to BASIC for example. When you return to DOS you will have a memsav file on your default drive holding your BASIC file, pointers, and info that typically get overwritten when DUP.SYS loads. Also works for language carts like Mac/65 etc. When you go back to that environment, DUP.SYS restores the memory underneath itself from the memsav file and writes a new one when the call for DUP.SYS to load again is made.

MDB4_2ND.ZIP MyDOS 4.55 beta 4.

http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/mydos.htm

Shameless Plug follows:

You did know that 4.55 beta 4 contains all of the same bells and whistles of 4.53? Plus a few bug fixes. You configure this one for 3 or 4 digit directory listings in the O Configuration menu, then write DOS files out to your boot drive as per usual for AtariDOS type 2 DOSes to preserve your settings at the next boot up.

• Like 2