IGNORED

Atari Disk Editor Advice Wanted

ballyalley

Hello all,

Normal in the late 80's early 90's i used black disk look like happy master see link only single en medium density.

I can post it if you won't.

But on MrBacardi site you can download happy master qaud+ it can double density en there is a sort of dissassembler.

I hope you can use it.

http://mrbacardi.000space.com/tools/Hmaster.zip

Greetings Marco.

Check the attach file atari utilities side a there is black disk sector editor.

verry easy to use and allso ssi color editor for start speed initializer allso funny.

Hello dear atari friends,

Can somebody tell me who program the black disk?

See photo i know there is a German version maybe the German atari users can help. And are there some different versions?

Greetings Marco

post-27227-0-72654600-1456946772_thumb.jpg

Edited by marcokitt2000
  • Like 1

Well,

think this has been asked before***, the program was (afaik) written by Karsten Schmidt in Germany, who used the pseudonym CSS for Chip Special Service. He coded several demos (e.g. Hobbytronic 1992 demos, High Resolution Power Pack Demos, The Starwars Demo, Atari Hardware Demo, Halle 1993 and 1994 demo-parts and mainloader, Edelweiss-Demo, etc.) and he was the programmer of "The Brundles" by KE-Soft. He was/is a very good programmer, not only on the A8, but also on the PC. Last thing I heard of him was that he was living in London/UK and working there as a professional programmer on the PC (don`t know if he is programming games or applications)...

Afaik, Blackdisk was available as a demo/preview program and the full version should have been available commercially, but I have never seen the full version and I am not sure if it really exists. I have also never seen/read any kind of documentation for Blackdisk (a disk/sector-editor), nor do I have any docs in my collection. But there are many similar disk/sector editors available, like e.g. Dr. Disk XL by Dr. XL and Happy-Master which is most likely based on the disk-editor by Dr. XL.

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Dr.%20Disk%20XL#Dr.%20Disk%20XL

(note: they changed the name, year and copyright notice there, the program is 1984 or 1985 by Dr. XL, Christian Klimm from Berlin/Germany; in some of his programs you can also read his adress, no clue if its still valid and if he is still alive...)

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%201050%2B#Happy-Master%201050%2B

and

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%20Quad%2B#Happy-Master%20Quad%2B

Afair, in Dr. Disk XL you can press the HELP key to get some onscreen information about keys and commands, think in Happy Master it was also the Help key that gave some onscreen information (with nearly the same keys and commands, but some new keys and commands added). Maybe the Help key also does something in the Blackdisk program ?!?

Hopefully someone else can give you more info...

*** yes, it has been asked before and I already gave a similar answer in this topic (post #46)...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Well,

think this has been asked before***, the program was (afaik) written by Karsten Schmidt in Germany, who used the pseudonym CSS for Chip Special Service. He coded several demos (e.g. Hobbytronic 1992 demos, High Resolution Power Pack Demos, The Starwars Demo, Atari Hardware Demo, Halle 1993 and 1994 demo-parts and mainloader, Edelweiss-Demo, etc.) and he was the programmer of "The Brundles" by KE-Soft. He was/is a very good programmer, not only on the A8, but also on the PC. Last thing I heard of him was that he was living in London/UK and working there as a professional programmer on the PC (don`t know if he is programming games or applications)...

Afaik, Blackdisk was available as a demo/preview program and the full version should have been available commercially, but I have never seen the full version and I am not sure if it really exists. I have also never seen/read any kind of documentation for Blackdisk (a disk/sector-editor), nor do I have any docs in my collection. But there are many similar disk/sector editors available, like e.g. Dr. Disk XL by Dr. XL and Happy-Master which is most likely based on the disk-editor by Dr. XL.

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Dr.%20Disk%20XL#Dr.%20Disk%20XL

(note: they changed the name, year and copyright notice there, the program is 1984 or 1985 by Dr. XL, Christian Klimm from Berlin/Germany; in some of his programs you can also read his adress, no clue if its still valid and if he is still alive...)

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%201050%2B#Happy-Master%201050%2B

and

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6.%20Stacja%20dyskietek&tg=Happy-Master%20Quad%2B#Happy-Master%20Quad%2B

Afair, in Dr. Disk XL you can press the HELP key to get some onscreen information about keys and commands, think in Happy Master it was also the Help key that gave some onscreen information (with nearly the same keys and commands, but some new keys and commands added). Maybe the Help key also does something in the Blackdisk program ?!?

Hopefully someone else can give you more info...

*** yes, it has been asked before and I already gave a similar answer in this topic (post #46)...

Hello CharlieChaplin,

Thanks for the information you always do that.

The black disk what i used is from 1985,1986 maybe early not later or begin 1987.

Why i now that when i starter 1987 my own atari 800xe from quelle shop and in seb 1987 with a 2nd hand 1050. i have the disk editor all so steve zipp used for special tool what he build for as.

And i now 1985./86 i learned from a friend who was 3 a 4 years older and i now he hat it from that time.

Sorry for my bad english, maybe someone can us tell more.

Yes i like happy master 1050 or quad (maybe for use xf551 quad density ds/dd).

Many thanks for all this info.

Greetings,

Marco

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 8/28/2015 at 8:19 PM, ballyalley said:

I was glancing through a pdf version of "Antic" magazine yesterday when I came across a recommendation for another Disk Editor ("DISKIO" by Robert Gray). This disk utility hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. The review for the program is in "Antic" Vol 6, no.10 (February 1988) on page 36. It's given high marks in Charles Cherry's column called "8-Bit Enhancements." I OCRed the review:

AtariMania does have and entry for "DISKIO" by Omegasoft and programmed by Robert Gray. The 40-page manual is archived, but the disk is missing:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-diskio_30226.html

Although I couldn't find the program archived anywhere, the manual and disk for this program were recently sold on ebay for $9.00. Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-8-Bit-Diskio-By-Robert-Gray-Tested-Working-Disk-Manual-/331620127223?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=CY4ZZZkZLSONuMyUfM7O64n%252B2Us%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Maybe whoever bought it will archive it soon?

Has anyone "DISKIO" before? Has this been disk editor been archived anyplace else?

Hello to all,

Only the manual for downloading. Who or where can i download the floppy disc?

Who can help us with this one.

Greetings to all atari 8 bit users.

• Like 1

I don't know if any of these are related, but the following are in the Holmes 1 CD archive on the pigwa FTP site.

DiskIO Plus -basic [alt].atr
DiskIO Plus -basic.atr
Diskio 4.3 20w Rev C -basic.atr
Diskio 4.4.atr
Diskio Plus 25w Rev C -basic.atr

Edited by BillC

3 hours ago, BillC said:

I don't know if any of these are related, but the following are in the Holmes 1 CD archive on the pigwa FTP site.

DiskIO Plus -basic [alt].atr
DiskIO Plus -basic.atr
Diskio 4.3 20w Rev C -basic.atr
Diskio 4.4.atr
Diskio Plus 25w Rev C -basic.atr

Thanks for the info but this is from someone else from antic see pictures.

Keep searching i do so, someone else maybe have found it?

Greetings Marco

diskio2.jpg

diskio1.jpg