IGNORED

For fun - multi-colouring Players

ps. Works in Altirra, doesn't in atari800.. Think I've overwritten something in memory by using charset for status bar... No time to fix it now :)

Thanks for your efforts. Seems to work in Altirra only if Altirra OS is selected. As I notice, you still have the $02 colour hue for black/grey pixels (the strong grille effect in sonic eyes) - if you like to change that sometime too... ;) (and since you already have $6,$A and $E as grey values, applying $6 as grey hue in the colour lines wouldn't need a 4th register change in the DLI)

• Like 1

Thanks for your efforts. Seems to work in Altirra only if Altirra OS is selected.As I notice, you still have the $02 colour hue for black/grey pixels (the strong grille effect in sonic eyes) - if you like to change that sometime too... ;) (and since you already have $6,$A and $E as grey values, applying $6 as grey hue in the colour lines wouldn't need a 4th register change in the DLI)

$02 was left over from old tests. That's what you get trying to make a shortcut - I've used "lda #LUMA0, sta COLBK" because at that time LUMA0 was 0, instead of declaring new constant COLOR0. Later when I changed LUMA0 to $02 I didn't even think it could influence color :)

Here is version with black as black (still works only in Altirra, will fix it when I get home...):

sonic_black_color.xex

• Like 1

Here is version with black as black (still works only in Altirra, will fix it when I get home...):

attachicon.gifsonic_black_color.xex

Funny, I just meant it the other way. It would be interesting to see, how the image would look if in the hue lines the black component had also a lightness of $6 to reduce the grille and flicker effect (and this isn't possible to test with a simple patch). But no hurry - I'll get a bad conscience how fast you test all of my silly suggestions...

• Like 1

Funny, I just meant it the other way. It would be interesting to see, how the image would look if in the hue lines the black component had also a lightness of $6 to reduce the grille and flicker effect (and this isn't possible to test with a simple patch). But no hurry - I'll get a bad conscience how fast you test all of my silly suggestions...

Hehe, no worries mate, it's much more fun to fix a8 code during working hours than to do what someone else thinks work is supposed to be :)

Here is version that changes colbk(black hue) also with same luma value as other hues. As colbk is on border also you can see horizontal stripes when luma is >0. Shouldn't be a problem with wide mode.

Need to fix it and check it on crt.

sonic_colbk_luma_changed_also.xex

• Like 2

"Yeah it would, just imho it looks like 'cheating' :)"

Not at all support chips have been part of cart based systems since day one - from the DSP in Pitfall II to the mapper chips in NES carts to SFX chips and more in SNES games - it's the advantage of having a system that uses carts!!

sTeVE

• Like 1

Here is version that changes colbk(black hue) also with same luma value as other hues. As colbk is on border also you can see horizontal stripes when luma is >0. Shouldn't be a problem with wide mode.

Thank you very much. Eyes and rings look much better now. Of course the shadow areas suffer, but when displaying all shades, the error is minimized by a middle lightness - and so the grille effect and flicker. (I'm not sure if this is desirable, but in non-balanced colour usage cases the lightness could be dynamically adapted - like in modern TVs the backlight.)

No need for the wide mode, the stripes can be covered with missiles - I'am familiar with this problem... ;)

And now back to work, even you did already something productive today!

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

"Yeah it would, just imho it looks like 'cheating' :)"

Not at all support chips have been part of cart based systems since day one - from the DSP in Pitfall II to the mapper chips in NES carts to SFX chips and more in SNES games - it's the advantage of having a system that uses carts!!

sTeVE

Yeah, that's why I wrote "looks like" and put smiley at the end :)

Would love for it to be available right now. Modes like this are only missing cpu cycles and ram space to produce something awesome. If they make it using cheap microcontroller (as promised) I'm ready to invest time to produce cool looking game and produce batch of cartridges.

When running in Altirra, all I get is a bunch of rolling lines. I've tried Altirra OS, XL/XE OS, extended RAM, 64K. I am using Altirra 2.70 test16.

Here, try this:

sonic_fixed.xex

I had wrong order of calling certain routines (copied character set before switching of irqs. Probably vbi interrupts didn't like me poking stuff in memory :)).

Now it works in atari800 also, although with some strange color differences in border part compared to Altirra...

• Like 2

Here, try this:

attachicon.gifsonic_fixed.xex

I had wrong order of calling certain routines (copied character set before switching of irqs. Probably vbi interrupts didn't like me poking stuff in memory :)).

Now it works in atari800 also, although with some strange color differences in border part compared to Altirra...

I figured out why it wouldn't work in Altirra. I had to set the CPU to "65C02". It was set to "6502/6502C".

Hey Stephen but that isn't good, I think... real A8s never used 65c02. Is there any difference in the instructions?

Humm, Pop are you cheating and using illegal instructions?

:grin:

P.s.- No, please don't start another of those "Illegal, use or not to use..." ;).

As you all know I'm not a coder so I am just asking for curiosity and learn a lit bit more.

Thanks.

:)

Hey Stephen but that isn't good, I think... real A8s never used 65c02. Is there any difference in the instructions?

Humm, Pop are you cheating and using illegal instructions?

:grin:

P.s.- No, please don't start another of those "Illegal, use or not to use..." ;).

As you all know I'm not a coder so I am just asking for curiosity and learn a lit bit more.

Thanks.

:)

I disabled illegal instructions (in the emu) when using 65C02 and it still worked. Joey - I did try all the different RAM configs at startup. The only thing that makes it run in Altirra for me, is using the 65C02.

When it crashes, it is at a JMP 2003, which contains $EA (IIRC $EA is a NOP).

• Like 1