IGNORED

fbForth Updates

Lee Stewart

In post #1 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O , I have updated the fbForth 2.0 Manual (a PDF with today’s date) and the blocks file, FBLOCKS (in a ZIP file with today’s date). The ZIP file also contains two disk images (90KiB and 400KiB) with the updated FBLOCKS file. The cartridge binaries for EPROM, Classic99 and MESS are still current except for FBLOCKS, which you can update from the above ZIP file.

...lee

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

fbForth 2.0:5 (the latest build) is available in fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O . A summary of modifications follows:

• Moved (ABORT) out of ROM space to low RAM to allow setting it to execute a user's error procedure when WARNING is set to -1.
  • Modified ERROR to not leave the contents of IN and BLK on the stack if the input stream is coming from the terminal. This function of ERROR is only useful for block loads so that WHERE can be used to jump into the editor at the error. Otherwise, they are irritating detritus, only serving to confuse the user.
  • Added a table of default colors in low RAM for all VDP modes that is user-modifiable and that persists through a warm boot with COLD .
  • Added to the above table a user-modifiable cell for the default text mode. This also persists after COLD .
  • Added DCT , a constant that leaves the address of the Default Colors Table (listed above). It is through this constant that the user will be able to change the default values in the above table.

Details of the Default Colors Table and how to use it through the constant DCT are »here«.

...lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For those interested in helping out with testing, the latest beta of fbForth 2.0 is in post #1257 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O.

It will start up telling you is is fbForth 2.0:&. The additional words included in the resident dictionary will

• Create panels and scroll in any direction: PANEL SCROLL
  • Create arrays of 16-bit numbers with DATA[ and ]DATA
  • Play and check sound lists: PLAY PLAYING?
  • Write directly to the sound generator: SOUND
  • Speak from the Speech Synthesizer's (SS) word list: SAY
  • Stream speech to the SS with STREAM
  • Check whether the SS is busy with SPEAKING?
  • Map 4KiB pages of an attached SAMS card with >MAP

There are a few other changes, as well. Before I release it as fbForth 2.0:8, I need to get some feedback on any bugs or other difficulties with the current state of this cartridge. Thanks in advance.

...lee

• Like 1

The latest beta of fbForth 2.0 is in post #1260 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O.

PLAY has been augmented to allow a second sound list to be played while muting the first.

After a few days (probably not enough) of testing by Y'all, I will release it as fbForth 2.0:8.

...lee

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted Addendum 2.0:8 to fbForth 2.0: A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth in post #1 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O.

There is also a new FBLOCKS file (17JUN2016) that fixes a bug in CPYBLK that would copy blocks from the wrong file if they were already in block buffers and had corresponding block numbers. I added EMPTY-BUFFERS as CPYBLK ’s first action.

Now, I am going to get @Willsy’s DarkStar working in fbForth 2.0:8 (I believe @jedimatt42 said it was broken)—then, on to updating the manual! :grin:

...lee

• Like 2

On 6/17/2016 at 12:22 PM, Lee Stewart said:

Yep, Darkstar compiled but didn't execute correctly. the screen started to draw... but didn't finish.

Oh, and thanks for finding the CPYBLK bug! I actually hit that once! Just once! Couldn't reproduce it when I would try to start from scratch... So sadly I never reported it. It didn't cause me to lose work, because I checked the blocks each step of the way... But it sure confused me. :)

-M@

I modified the Addendum to the manual because of a page-registration problem between Appendix A and Appendix B. In the process, I added ASM>CODE to the Glossary, which is now also in the current FBLOCKS.

Both the latest Addendum (fbForth_2.0_Manual_Addendum_20160620.pdf) to the manual and the latest FBLOCKS (FBLOCKS_20160620.zip) are in post #1 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O.

...lee

• 10 months later...

The April 28, 2017 update to fbForth 2.0: A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth (the manual) has been announced at Fest West 2017 and is posted to post #1 of fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O. It includes all changes since the June 20, 2015 revision. It is up to date as of fbForth 2.0:9 and FBLOCKS 19APR2017.

...lee

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I am in the final stages of publishing my manual, fbForth 2.0: A File-Based Cartridge Implementation of TI Forth. It should be available on CreateSpace.com and Amazon.com in 2 – 3 weeks. I will also bring a few copies to the Chicago Faire for interested attendees. A public “Thank you!” to @jedimatt42 for editing assistance and proofreading.

...lee

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...