IGNORED

a coleco-sega hybrid machine ?

artrag

Already exist, it's called the Dina

It is a clone of both the ColecoVision and the Sega SG-1000 consoles, with one cartridge slot for each platform, and came bundled with the game Meteoric Shower, which was built into the system.[2] Telegames never advertised its compatibility with the SG-1000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dina_(video_game_console)

• Like 1

Already exist, it's called the Dina

It is a clone of both the ColecoVision and the Sega SG-1000 consoles, with one cartridge slot for each platform, and came bundled with the game Meteoric Shower, which was built into the system.%5B2%5D Telegames never advertised its compatibility with the SG-1000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dina_(video_game_console)

A SG-1000 is not really a Sega Master System, although they are cousins.

This is the first time I've ever seen Ben Heck. It's nice to put a face on the name. :)

He hasn't done a whole lot in this particular video, just moving basic chips around. He's lucky that the SMS was designed to run all components through the expansion port, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to test his Game Brain. The ColecoVision can also run everything through the expansion port, so I understand why he picked those two systems for a combo project.

I'm certainly looking forward to part 2. I wonder how he's going to reconcile the control inputs, which are different between the SMS and Coleco. Ideally, it would be nice if the Coleco's controller could be used for both consoles without the player being required to perform any switching or hardware adjustment.

By the way, "Coleco = Colorado Leather Goods Company"? Ben, you should check your sources better... :P

• Like 1

I hope he does, but I guess that would depend if the TMS9918A in the Master System is backward-compatible with the TMS9918 in the ColecoVision. I know the SMS's 9918 is like a 9918 on steroids, with hardware vertical/horizontal scrolling, and 64 colors max (whether on-screen, or in the palette), but that's about it.

As for the sound, they both use an SN76489(AN?), so maybe that'll be one less thing to worry about? Even though if he wants to combine it with an MSX later on, the MSX1 standard calls for an AY-3-8910, which is similar (3 square wave channels, and one noise channel, but the AY-3 has it mixed together with the square wave channels, while the SN has it separate?), but has extra features (as far as I know; like duty cycles, perhaps?).

Wow! Didn't know that Ben Heck scored his own professionally produced show! Kudos to Ben! Production is brilliant in HD and has some great humor to it. Ben does a good job doing and saying what he knows and sticking to the concept.

On the other hand... ¿¿¿Colorado Leather and Goods Company??? Now THAT was a faux-pas!

post-28334-0-90792700-1435080946_thumb.png

If you want to look incredibly sharp on a video like this, you've got about 99% of it down. But overlooking your KEY references (as Pixelboy already pointed out) just makes you sound like a dumbass! Here you're making a Colecovision-centric hack-em-up that is fully intended for the Coleco Fan Boy audience and you blew that hugely major detail. Eeee-gad!

Also "cart'ige connector"... "cart'ige connector"... Better get your Production Assistants working a bit harder on some things, ELEMENT 14!!!

All told, nice job to Ben and the production crew. I'm buying into this one!

Edited by phattyboombatty

• 3 weeks later...

The wiring part seems pretty enduring.

Indeed. Ben was using wires because he needed part two of his video to be completed in all deliberate speed (and probably because he's used to working this way anyway). If someone else was doing this project in the privacy of his own home, there's a good chance he would create a custom prototype board and order the board from a prototype supplier. That would eliminate most of the wires. :)

It's nice to see a Master System and a ColecoVision working on the same core of components. Notice how joystick ports are not included in the design. That would probably make the system quite a bit more complicated... ;)

I recently was able to pick up the following SG-1000 games that work on an unmodded SMS:

Zaxxon

Congo Bongo

Elevator Action

Guzzle

They come in Sega Master System cartridge shells and cases...look just like a regular SMS game. It's neat that SG-1000 can be both ported to Colecovision & SMS...it's also neat to play Zaxxon on SMS ;)

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

The Sega Master System uses a Large DIP 64 IC as it's VDP some modes are compatible with the TMS9918A, but it uses a TILE mode and multicolor SPRITES. It's also very hard to get exact technical data for the Sega Master video Chip. Anyone that's looked inside a Sega Master system will of spotted the unusual DIP64 IC that's the VDP.

It could be implemented on an FPGA, but then you could argue why not just do the whole thing on an FPGA !