IGNORED

Data Age..

Klove

Hey Gang..

I'm looking for some interesting artifacts concerning Data Age. Cart Labels, Game Manuals, Box Art and Game Catalogs.. I really have no need for as I've manage to obtain all of these with the help of BFSTATS. What I'm looking for are the more rare promotional pieces, if at all.

Bits like..

- Sales Counter, Shelf Standees

- Promotional Record (

- Fun Club Bits

- Magazine Ad's.

- Etc.

If you've got anything like this, I'd like to get Hi-Res scans of these if at all possible.

Me and my team are currently working on the "The Counter" project.

If ya' think you might be able to help out, I'd sure appreciate it. Naturally, if we use any of your material, you'll get In-Game Credit as well as a copy of the finished product, once we go live. :-)

The Data Age catalog is going to be used in the prototype stages. I / We have since obtained the rights to utilize it. Naturally, the BIG bug-a-boo with it, is Journey: The Escape. I am working on this though. Wish me / us luck. :-/

Thanks,

Ken

• Like 1

RT,

Thank You for this link. "Interesting indeed."

I have several contacts at Data Age at the mo, but Ray certainly isn't one of them. I'll have to seek him out and see if he cares to contribute, maybe. I've already reached out to one of his old roommates and am waiting to hear back from him. Apparently this guy.. "the roommate" had some involvement in the Journey project as well. Though, very little.

I have a very hard time believing that (the new) Journey would have a problem at all re-releasing the game. BUT.. Where it gets sticky, is the whole Steve Perry part. IE.. "Him no longer being in the group." Though, I'm sure he more than likely still gets a cut of everything they make these days.

Hard to say for sure, but I'm sure there's some money involved.

Will keep you posted as we trudge forward. I'll also be starting a "The Counter" Facebook page shortly. Will let you know when I do.

- Ken

Received the record in the mail today. "Very cool." Now onto scanning and audio clean-up." It will likely be an unlockable. For which / what game, I'm still not quite sure yet. Onwards and Inwards. :-)

Edited by Klove

CPU.. As you're probably aware, Data Age were supposedly working on a Mr. Bill! and Smokey The Bear title(s). I'm waiting to hear back from both of my contacts. I have to tread lightly with both as neither of these guys care much for each other and when either one is brought up in conversation, they typically go into rants. :-) eheheh

I will let you know when I hear something.

- Ken

• Like 1

CPU,

Looks like your info was probably spot on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ken.

To my knowledge they were conceptual only and never really got underway in
terms of development.

No worries about contacting me. Happy to help if I can.

- BXX

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am waiting for feedback from the other feller.

- Ken

Edited by Klove

Good to know, BXX.

Was it essentially "The Crash" that killed these off?

- Ken

-----------------------------------------------------------

No money and Marty Meeker withdrew his American Express Card from central billing.

- BXX

Edited by Klove

I mean.. "Data Age WAS making money on the Atari 2600 stuff, no?"

- Ken

------------------------------

No. Sales were a net negative after return of Journey Escape as I understood it, thus the bankruptcy.

- BXX

Edited by Klove

The Data Age catalog is going to be used in the prototype stages. I / We have since obtained the rights to utilize it. Naturally, the BIG bug-a-boo with it, is Journey: The Escape. I am working on this though. Wish me / us luck. :-/

Intellivision Productions/Blue Sky Rangers were able to release some previously licensed properties -- the AD&D games, if memory serves -- with some changes to the titles and (possibly) the graphics.

While I (proudly) own a Journey Escape cartridge, I have no clear memory of the details. Is it possible that some small adjustments can be made to remove the licensed content while retaining the core gameplay? Perhaps call it "Concert Escape", or something similar?

While I (proudly) own a Journey Escape cartridge, I have no clear memory of the details. Is it possible that some small adjustments can be made to remove the licensed content while retaining the core gameplay? Perhaps call it "Concert Escape", or something similar?

You'd have to remove the scarab shuttle from the beginning of the game and remove the two Journey tunes they use in the game (Separate Ways and something else). The characters themselves are unrecognizable, but they do have the persons initials in the corner so I'm not sure if that would have to be changed or not. Beyond that there's really nothing 'journey' in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, to get this one a bit back on the radar, I'm going to be speaking with Data Age' past CEO's later-on this week. My hope is to be able to record the call and to be able to share it here. So, that said... I'm currently in the process of coming up with questions, etc.

Anyone out there have any questions outside of the norm that they'd like to have answers to, concerning the Data Age company?

Believe me, I do believe that I have a lot of the bases covered already.

- Ken

1) Not so much about the company, but has he continued working in the video game industry, or completely moved on to something else?

2) Mr. Bill's Neighbourhood was promoted at the CES in (June?) 1983. Did it ever get beyond a press release?

I'd be interested in hearing about the way the grocery store marketing came about. Details, such as distribution, retail price, cost to the stores, locations, etc.

Be nice to see the cardboard standees that were setup on the end caps too, though he may not have anything like that.

I remember our Eagle grocery store in Libertyville, IL had them. It's where I got Bermuda Triangle and probably Journey Escape too. Maybe Bugs - but seems that was probably bought at Kay*Bee on heavy discount.

Apollo also had such an arrangement at Eagle as I remember getting my copy of Space Chase there.