IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

15 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Something like that or Bomberman, yeah. I think there's a Famicom version too.

Yeah, there is a NES/Famicom version.  Can't remember the title, but I know it exists as I distinctly remember seeing it on an episode of Chrontendo.

16 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Another recommendation. I wish the physics were a little better about picking up blocks, but if you’re willing to put up with that, then go for it.

Cool.  Will check it out soon enough.  As always, I appreciate the recommendations.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I just made a dedicated topic for this, but I figure that i'd also share the news here as this topic gathers all the Game Boy fans on AA. So, I'm pleased to announce that, after a successful Kickstarter, my Game Boy game GB Corp. is now available for sale to everyone.

GB Corp. by Dr. Ludos (Game Boy)

The game is an idle management game that rewards you for playing it on several Game Boy models (DMG, GBP, GBC, SGB, GBA...). For more detail, The talented Nick from Retrobreak Youtube channel did an in-depth review of the game here:

The game is available in a beautiful physical edition published by Yastuna Games: https://yastuna-games.com/en/nintendo-game-boy/72-81-gb-corp.html#/28-cartouche_gb-grise/33-packaging-boite_notice_insert

GB Corp physical release by Yastuna Games

And also as a digital (ROM) version from here:
https://drludos.itch.io/gb-corp

And last but not least, as usual the digital (ROM) version of the game is a gift to all my supporters of the "free games" tier on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/posts/free-games-gb-80768610

I hope you'll enjoy this quite unique game in the Game Boy library!

Dr. Ludos.

• Like 3

So, I'm slowly making an overdue oversight not be one anymore.

Last week I decided to scrape together online the trio of GBA gems of Densetsu no Starfy, the underwater Kirby of Nintendo/TOSE circles which they stupidly only put here once, on the DS sadly, and that's it.  I can make out a few words, but story really isn't going to block the play thankfully.  I'm liking the style so far.  Ended up getting #1 end of the last week, #2&3 showed up hours ago today all in great shape.

The mechanics are good, challenge is there but light, not quite a pushover but it's no worse than Kirby if that maybe.  I like it, good gameplay mechanics, great use of bright colors and nice audio.  Stage designs seem pretty slick so far too.

I found that CGR did some reviews of all three, they're short so this is worth a skim to see what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

Since we're bringing up hot wheels, and I saw this 2in1 cart at the half price not out for sale yet th eother day which I may grab it got me wanting to bring it up.

Stunt Track also had a GBA release, and it's quite unique among GBA racers in that it falls into the minority of titles that uses a 3D terrain engine.

I've read from some saying this is oddly a fairly fun game to play because the engine gives it more freedom than most the voxel/scaled mode7 stylized type games the GBA had.  It's cheap a $5 type title in the end so could be worth poking a stick at.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Since we're bringing up hot wheels, and I saw this 2in1 cart at the half price not out for sale yet th eother day which I may grab it got me wanting to bring it up.

Stunt Track also had a GBA release, and it's quite unique among GBA racers in that it falls into the minority of titles that uses a 3D terrain engine.

I've read from some saying this is oddly a fairly fun game to play because the engine gives it more freedom than most the voxel/scaled mode7 stylized type games the GBA had.  It's cheap a $5 type title in the end so could be worth poking a stick at.

Will give this one a go sometime soon as well.  I did check out the GBC version today.  Not a bad little game, but nothing spectacular either.  Still, it was well done and worthy of playing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think I brought this up before, and this one isn't 3D, but Road Trip (aka Choro Q) is def one of the more worthwhile racing gems on GBA, for how quirky it is, the customizable vehicles, and how you can even fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

I think I brought this up before, and this one isn't 3D, but Road Trip (aka Choro Q) is def one of the more worthwhile racing gems on GBA, for how quirky it is, the customizable vehicles, and how you can even fly.

Cool.  Will have to check this one out as well sometime.

1 hour ago, electricmastro said:

Most spectacular one for me on GBC would have to be Test Drive Le Mans.

Yeah, I gave this one a go sometime ago.  I wasn't really too impressive.  Still, hey, not all games can be for everyone and there are plenty of other racers I enjoy and still many more yet to play.  However, I really do appreciate the looks and/or recommendations all the same.

• Like 2

I think I'll specify on a company this time around: Natsume. They're best known for Harvest Moon, but they also dabbled with putting out platformers and RPGs. Their Tail 'Gator and Amazing Penguin games are still some of the most well-done early games on the Game Boy system that still hold up and their Car Battle Joe game they published on GBA is an interesting take on the RPG, using cars to hunt down other cars.

7DXyvy1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, Limited Run Games is releasing a colorized version of Trip World later this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/news/game-boy-color-gets-rare-new-game-to-mark-25th-anniversary/ar-AA1a3e7o?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d49fc1a14bc343f39dfd915c0301fd00&ei=4

I may actually place a pre-order for this one.  :)

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 2

How come there hasn't been any video games for the Game Boy I want on eBay lately? I scroll through all the crap and that's just what it is: either crap, a console I don't want, or a game I already have. I know, first world problems, but still. And it makes me wonder because there USED to be good Game Boy titles on eBay. I guess I bought them all?

Anyway, I'm working on a new Game Boy game, Ran-over Possum Man! I have a link to it in my signature.

bgb00032.png.07c8b965da6c4a26cf6f29a9894632f6.png

Level 3 does nothing so far, so it freezes because I haven't got that far programming it yet.

• 3 weeks later...

@Hakogame 箱亀  Looks vaguely familiar, but at the same time not.  Even the name has that been there before feel as it hit me at first as thinking about those peach boy momotaru densetsu games.  The look has a feel of like those side scrolling monster land titles too but also the peachboys like that too.  I think those could be worth a go if they have minimal/no language barrier.

Cavenoire I've attempted to remember to try out for years, but roms tend to back seat to ownership.  It was an interesting bit by Konami in the direction that went though.

• Like 1