IGNORED

Opinions on the Wii U? Someone is offering me one for $100...

It most certainly does not compare well to the PS3, 360, PS4 or Xbox One in terms of over all game selection and features.

It does have some nice first party games though which I plan to get a Wii-U to play. Don't bother even thinking about it if you want a lot of third party games though.

It does have some nice fun exclusives, I'd say it is worth it. It doesn't use its internal storage excessively like the other systems do anyway, and as Bill says you can always add more space.

Spent quite a lot of time on a buddy's Wii-U and I plan to get one myself at some point.

Edited by R.Bear

The WiiU dealt with some of the misgivings I had about the Wii. First, it's a high def console, which was the number 1 reason I totally bypassed the Wii. I know at the time I was in a minority, but I was just getting big into HD at the time the Wii launched, and the other two consoles were HD. Of course I'm going with the better tech. Secondly, the WiiU shifted focus away from motion controls. It still utilizes motion, but not at the expense of gameplay. There are a few instances in New Super Mario Bros U where you need to tilt the controller sideways, but it's only as a novelty now, used sparingly which is acceptable to me.

In some ways it is trying to be an oversize DS. When a game does require you to look at the gamepad during a game, I find it quite difficult to multi-task the two. It reminds me of how awkward and difficult it is to use the keypad in-game on the Atari Jaguar controller. I can only do so much at once! That's one of the downsides to the gamepad. Most of the time you don't have to use it though. For instance, in Watch Dogs, the gamepad screen is used as a GPS, where you can set waypoints. It's a nifty feature, but I think you can just do everything on the TV as well.

There are a few instances in New Super Mario Bros U where you need to tilt the controller sideways, but it's only as a novelty now, used sparingly which is acceptable to me.

And completely optional now, thanks to the Pro Controller patch that it received around when New Super Luigi U appeared that has you tilting platforms using the shoulder buttons.

I advocated for such an arrangement with New Super Mario Bros. Wii using the Classic Controller when that game was new, and was scoffed at as an unrealistic controller layout at another forum I visit.

Yet Nintendo did just that with this game and it works just fine and feels perfectly intuitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had similar misgivings about the Wii U myself, so I went with the New 3DS XL for the portability factor and slew of games available. However, at that price I would probably get it just because that's a good deal. As MrMaddog said, just playing SSB on it would be worth the price, IMO.